Altitude Gauge

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Altitude Gauge

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#1]
Here's something I knocked up in Inkscape. Since I can't get PSP9 to work on Vista I've been forced to work in Inkscape but I'm finding it's much more easier and you can produce some pretty decent results. The runway in the game was made in inkscape too.

Anyways, here it is.

puki(Posted 2009) [#2]
Looks very good. However, where's the second hand?

Reactor(Posted 2009) [#3]
Since I can't get PSP9 to work on Vista

See the thread about the free PSPX. It works under Vista.

The image looks good... if you bring it into something like PSP, you should be able to paint over it, to help make it look a little less perfect (I'm assuming this is for a game, yes?). In Inkscape though, the dial could use a light, glassy reflection of some kind.

Sung(Posted 2009) [#4]
Here are some 3D Gauges i have made for a B3D Game.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#5]
See the thread about the free PSPX. It works under Vista.

Eh? What the...okay I'll have to look that up.

Sung, those gauges are NICE. What B3D game is that?

Thanks for the feedback all.

Terry B.(Posted 2009) [#6]
Im confused. Do all altitude guages have two hands? I thought they only had one. But otherwise looks nice.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#7]
Actually some have 3. One for 100 feet, 1000, and 10000 feet.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#8]
Isn't an F-16 entirely digital?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHx-OWdHqf8

:-)

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#9]
It's not for an F-16. I'm just making a generic set of guages to be used with all aircraft. I'm a one man army you know! I have no minions to create a billion gigs of graphics. :(

EOF(Posted 2009) [#10]
I like it. Very clean and easy to read. It does the job

Chroma,
Do you play any of the major flight sims out there?
I have FS2004 and am wondering if there are better alternatives such as Flight Gear, X-Plane, Flight Simulator X ?
FSX looks a bit of a PC killer but otherwise very nice

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#11]
Thanks Jim. Right now I'm messing around in IL-2 1946. I bought it through steam for $9.99. It's really good. I've played X-Plane. Very nice but it's along the lines of MS flight simulator in the aspect of all you do is fly around. The physics in X-Plane are top notch and they claim even NASA uses it to test out different airfoils etc.

But, I like to shoot stuff and complete missions. So IL-2 is right up my ally. I also have Wings Over Vietnam. Pretty decent combat sim. Some say it's buggy but I don't notice.

And here's the compass.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#12]
Hmmm....here's a revision of the compass.

EOF(Posted 2009) [#13]
Great stuff
But, I like to shoot stuff and complete missions
I think an "Amiga FA/18 Interceptor" type game would be fabulous
I was watching a couple of clips on YouTube and realised just how neat this game was. It had nicely balanced missions not to mention all the touches like atmospheric sounds
Search for "amiga interceptor mission 5" for a nice example

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#14]
I checked it out and yep that's what I like. Real missions, not just sightseeting. I played a lot of F-117 Nighthawk back in the early 90s. Absolutely loved that game. If I can capture this type of gameplay then I'll be happy.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#15]
A bit late on the comment, but, i like it :) Very readable, which in the main point. Are you going to create a shooter game, from your flight sim?

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#16]
Yep it's gonna be like BF42 but with planes only and set in a fictional 1947 setting where WW2 didn't quite end. I'm stuck on that so I might as well just do it and get it out of my system.

I'm writing the network code right now...which has slowly changed to trying to select with network lib to go with. I'm thinking raknet but someone posted that Brucey's RakNet module wasn't complete. I posted asking how it was coming but no reply. So now I'm leaning towards BNetEx.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#17]
Ah, nice one. So you running this in bmax with minib3d? I thought Brucey's stuff was all bmax coded?

Drackbolt(Posted 2009) [#18]
BNetEx has a nasty bug with timeout settings causing huge hangs right now. I've been working with the developer for a few weeks but he's been mostly unresponsive.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#19]
Nah, right now it's all Blitz3D. I was tinkering with BMax and Xors3D but I think for now I'll just leave it in Blitz3D until Xors3D has been out for about a year.

I'm now using BMax and Leadwerks Netwerks to write the dedicated server.