car test(WIP)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/car test(WIP)

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#1]
been a doing a bit of mechanical type stuff as my character work has been less than inspiring for me of late

still WIP. lots of stuff to add to it yet

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
BMW M3?

You and your talent make me sick. I'd love to be good at stuff like this.

</envy>

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#3]
its loosely based on a BMW 5 series, though I kind of got my references mixed up:)

TBH GFK, with cars and mechanical stuff, I think anyone can learn to do this stuff as it mainly a case of tracing over reference and adding lots of bevels.

I first started this model in 2002 and have just got around to working on it again

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
TBH GFK, with cars and mechanical stuff, I think anyone can learn to do this stuff as it mainly a case of tracing over reference and adding lots of bevels.
Well, maybe. But I wasn't just talking about this example. I think patience is required in all cases and that's something that some people (i.e. me) don't have and never will have.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#5]
yeah have to be pretty bloody minded with this stuff. its takes a lot of patience and that why I rarely do tech stuff.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#6]
I think Ruz should start posting some tutorials... :)

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#7]
http://www.3dhuntsville.com/tutorials/BugattiVeyronTutorial.pdf

I found this fairly helpful.

I haven't made any tutorials for about 10 years.
2 lazy:)

EOF(Posted 2009) [#8]
Bugatti Veyron hey? Nice!

There is a site here with lot's of blueprints (although I would be a little cautious visiting since I get a few POPUP BLOCKED notifications under Opera)

http://carblueprints.info

Here's the Bugatti Veyron blueprints --> http://carblueprints.narod.ru/bugatti.htm

I would love to learn how to create car models. My first would be the Mustang GTA 500 or the classic Mustang 390
I once made a Nissan Primera (of all choices!) but it ended up looking a bit 70's so I lost the will to live thereafter

Are you planning on making any other models?

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#9]
not sure jim. might go for something a little less difficult next time, perhaps some environmental stuff

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#10]
very nice!

Chad(Posted 2009) [#11]
One of the better Max tutorials around, and nice lookin BMW! Well done!

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#12]
cheers guys. i am going to finish it soon. lil update

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#13]

going for the mcdonalds look:)

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#14]
Looking good overall, but isn't the front of the car too flat? It looks like it was smashed against a wall :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#15]
Why is there a cat in it?!

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#16]
'cos cats are cool!

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#17]
Cats indeed are the evil rulers of the uiniverse (and very cool too)

Is that a 3D model?! I love the style, it has a quality to it like a deesign drawing. Something not-quite-realistic, but with nice reflections and the perfect colour.

Don't get me wrong, my comments about its unrealisticness are complimentsry. Consider the "GT" games and 'Juice" etc. and the "perfect" appearance of the cars in those. No cars are ever that pristine, and I think we all wish we could keep our cars looking that good! :D

GfK(Posted 2009) [#18]
No cars are ever that pristine, and I think we all wish we could keep our cars looking that good! :D
Yes, stick some lovely big dollops of bird crap on the roof and down the back window.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#19]
yeah the flat front is something I will have to sort out. I have to do a second and third pass on the front end.

Malice - yes its 3d, but I tend to go for a slightly cartoony look in my work
It will have racing stickers on shortly anyway.

Generally when I model stuff I always throw on some colour as its easier to see whats wrong rather than just the zbrush style grey look which can be a bit misleading visually.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#20]
yeah the flat front is something I will have to sort out. I have to do a second and third pass on the front end.

Malice - yes its 3d, but I tend to go for a slightly cartoony look in my work
It will have racing stickers on shortly anyway.

Generally when I model stuff I always throw on some colour as its easier to see whats wrong rather than just the zbrush style grey look which can be a bit misleading visually.

I might dirty it up at some point, but for now its just flat colour. I stil have to make the low poly version, unwrap it, bake the normal maps etc

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#21]
Ruz, could I persuade you to model an F-100 Super Sabre? I'll pay ya $30. Looking for about 1K to 2K verts. And do you skin?

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#22]
sorry Chroma I charge twice that per hour:)