RPG GUI LoL Style

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/RPG GUI LoL Style

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've just started an RPG that I've had in mind for a little while. It isn't an enormously complex story because I've focused on creating the engine first. I don't consider myself an artist but I've been trying to improve the little knowledge I have.

I've made an interface similar to Land of Lore I and Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge. I was wondering if anyone had some constructive suggestions for improvement. I don't have a particle system yet (I'm hoping to get TimelineFX) so the candles aren't lit.

I was thinking of removing the right candle and adding an auto-mapper. Any thoughts? Thanks.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#2]
yeah , games like this are easy to get lost in without a map. :)

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#3]
I dont like the anime art style for the characters faces, apart from that it looks good

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#4]
Would it be better if the portraits were Chibi style? Or realistic?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#5]
..i like look of this game..very interesting..

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#6]
Thanks, NA.

*(Posted 2009) [#7]
Might inspire me to dig out me Bloodwych engine and have a try at converting it to Max/Minib3d :)

Flemmonk(Posted 2009) [#8]
You know what would look good Redspark, having one of those candles lit and producing some nice fire effects to the window, just to add a bit of atmosphere, or only have it light when you're inside a dungeon/cave perhaps?

looks good! bit tacky, but that is what old games used to look like.

MikeHart(Posted 2009) [#9]
I like it. Played a lot of Ultima Underworld at its time.

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#10]
EdzUp: Thanks. I had thought of doing this with MiniB3D but I wanted to do something that was pretty retro-2D first and then improve on it later.

Flemmonk: Yup, that's the plan. It's an indicator of light levels. Once I get a particle system working, I'll create the candle flame and smoke for it.

MikeHart: Thank you.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#11]
I prefer realistic looking faces but if that is too difficult/expensive chibi might be OK.

malcom looks too much like a baby or a girl

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#12]
I have realistic models but I think that they would look out of place with the campy nature of the interface graphics. I'll try some portraits in Chibi style to see how they look. Thanks.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#13]
Might inspire me to dig out me Bloodwych engine and have a try at converting it to Max/Minib3d :)

Yeah, Bloodwych was the king of these type of games, especially for the two-player! Didn't someone build a Bloodwych engine in Blitz3D

-- Anyway, I too don't personally find the animé style of the portraits appealing, but I admit that overall, such graphical styles do hae a popularity.

If a map would destroy some of the exploration feeling of the game, I suggest at least a compass.

Particle system and lighting would definitely be imporvements, I'd love to see some screenshots once that's in!

My final criticism, is the comment at the bottom. I never played Lands Of Lore, so have no experience, but (again, personal preference) these kind of games suit more being able to 'free roam' a little, with the NPC's (i.e. the wolf in the example screenshot) also having some freedom, meaning,m, that instead of having to press a key to indicate a choice of fight / flee, combat icons could be clicked and the wolf may simply attack when close enough. (á la Bloodwych or Eye of Beholder etc.) Though I totally understand if the core style of game is somewhat different from this 'realtime' dynamic approach.

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#14]
Thanks, Malice. I actually just removed the right-hand candle and added a compass. :) Once I add in a particle system and the new portraits, I'll post a new screen cap.

The core style of the game was going to be like Bard's Tale where it wasn't going to be free roaming creatures. However, LoL did the free roaming thing. So I think I'll change that as you suggested. I never played Bloodwych but I still have EOB I - III. I'll go look it up and see if I can learn something. :)

Thanks.

Shambler(Posted 2009) [#15]
Dungeon Master ( the king of this type of game ) didn't need an automapper did it?

For me getting lost in a dungeon maze is the essence of why it is called a dungeon maze ;)

I am neither for or against the graphical style, it looks good enough for me to be interested to play it so I don't see a problem.

*(Posted 2009) [#16]

Yeah, Bloodwych was the king of these type of games, especially for the two-player! Didn't someone build a Bloodwych engine in Blitz3D

Yeah I did a version of Bloodwych in Blitz3d (never finished it), dug it out last night and boy do the models look crap and simple. Will definately want to make better models.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#17]
Very oldskool, i like it :)

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#18]

I never played Bloodwych but I still have EOB I - III. I'll go look it up and see if I can learn something.
Bloodwych was generally the same vein as the EOB games, but had superiority in that it supported split screen 2 player coop play, and also allowed for (limited, though innovative for its time) interaction with other characters.

"Monsters" would be hostile, but there were other 'people' too, that you could trade with and have limited discussion with, at risk of making them angry and turning them hostile, or making them friendly so you could recruit them to your party (and get rid of the lame mage at the back ;) )

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#19]
EOB 1 was the bomb. Back in 1992 I played it 72 hours straight. Started on Friday night after work and Sunday morning I was like "hey, what's today? Sunday? Bah, I have to work tomorrow."

The game looks good man. I agree with the faces needing to look more traditional (not anime).

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#20]
Thanks, everyone. I've got the new interface done with a compass replacing the right candle and I changed the background slightly. However, I'm just playing around with using MiniB3D to do the dungeon view. I know it's a departure from the retro style but I'm going to lock step the engine but display the steps and turns in full range. So instead of a 90 degree turn being instantaneous, it will show the full turn or step.

I did some chibi style faces. Although I like them, I don't think others will. So, I'm in the process of rendering some "realistic"/traditional faces. What I might do is have both sets of Chibi and Real faces and allow the player to pick which ones they like when they create their character or have a toggle to switch between Chibi mode and realistic.

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#21]
How is this? Better?

The candle flame needs to be larger and I need a more obvious trail of smoke. I think I need to get rid of the outline around the character's heads but other than that, what do you think? Is it more traditional?

Thanks.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#22]
Very nice again, you certainly have a good talent for the artistic styles!
The compass is great, fits so well and nicely designed as well as

I agree with the comments about the flame being larger. Thoguh the smoke may not be too much of an issue, if it's TOO thick, it would possibly get in the way of the char portraits?
Overall though, Excellent work!

Redspark(Posted 2009) [#23]
Thank you. I can't take complete credit for it. A lot of the meshes were purchased and retextured. :)

I agree. The smoke from the candle would have to be very subtle, thin/whispy and light. It probably should not extend past the bottom corner of Dyst's portrait.

I did get the MiniB3D view working but I don't have enough art assets made to make the dungeon yet. I just purchased EasyBuilder3D and I plan to make my own models and textures. They just wont look as good as the prerendered stuff because I'm using displacement, bump mapping and so on to create the stone in the above image. But it should still look decent enough.

Thanks again.

JA2(Posted 2009) [#24]
The new portraits look much more fitting. That compass looks nice too :)

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#25]
Thank you. I can't take complete credit for it. A lot of the meshes were purchased and retextured.

It's your product, lap it up I say ;)

Blueapples(Posted 2010) [#26]
This is really cool. Any release yet? I'd love to play this thing.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#27]
The second shot looks very nice! This type of game is not really my cup of tea, but it does definitely look appealing!