AO tests

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/AO tests

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#1]
..here are some of my tests with AO and real time shadows..there are some small issues with shadows when AO is applied (some surfaces turn to be transparent on the places they shouldnt be), but general results looking okay..Bmax + Horde3D

puki(Posted 2009) [#2]
Looks good.

nVidia aren't handing over Ambient Occlusion to non-Vista owners. I have been gutted that the past two nVidia driver releases don't allow me to enable Ambient Occlusion. Life sucks.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#3]
The shadows look very good, though I can't notice much of the Ambient Occlusion. Can you make a flat-grey render?

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#4]
nice very naterial look

Imphenzia(Posted 2009) [#5]
Oh - very nice :)

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#6]
I'm not really a fan of the AO look here. It reminds me of a 3DSMax GI render with a skylight. Realistic lighting, but a very sterile photographic appearance. It takes all the soul out, for me. In terms of general render style, I preferred the glowy screenshots with DOF you posted some time ago. I know a number of people found the DOF a bit too much and maybe even the glow, but it had a definite feel or style about it for me. These look a bit like some of the photorealistic point and click adventures coming out of Germany at the moment. Of course, some people must like this style or they wouldn't keep doing it. So if I don't represent your audience and they do, feel free to disregard me.

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#7]
AO seems to be working great :). I like it. one of the nicer and relatively inexpensive effects that can add a lot of realism to the lighting in your scene. Very nice :)

Ked(Posted 2009) [#8]
Whoa. In the second screenshot, the statues look real.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#9]
The screenshots certainly look impressive overall, but with regards to this 'AO' stuff, I'm not certain what I should be looking for!

Is it the areas such as, where the bridge c rosses in front of the background mcliffside in screenshot one, or the vertical columns in the last shot etc. ?

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#10]
It's kind of like a traditional lightmap with diffuse ambient light in it that is effected and removed by dynamic lights. So one step up from a lightmap, but still produces quite an effective result which allows you to still use dynamic shadows convincingly.

DareDevil(Posted 2009) [#11]
pleace test the my source with your graphics and post the image for compare two system

this a my code free
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2517

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#12]
That first shot looks fantastic. Would like too see a video of it, with waterfall and all. Good work!

DareDevil(Posted 2009) [#13]
Hi have update code

this a my code free
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2517

TNKs

Shambler(Posted 2009) [#14]
I agree with Pete, that first shot especially is very easy on the eye and natural looking.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#15]
loooks nice man. ao is cool