Early Elite Multiplayer vid

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Early Elite Multiplayer vid

*(Posted 2009) [#1]
This is an early vid of Elite Multiplayer, atm it shows the main menu in all its 3d glory. Its 100% BlitzMax and minib3d there is no external dll's etc :).

I am currently coding the Star system creation which is coming along nicely once thats done I will upload another vid.

Without further adoo here it is

NOTE: yes its taking a long time, Elite Multiplayer has gone through at least four major revisions and at least five different programming languages till I got to BlitzMax and Minib3d :). The main requisite atm for us is portability atm the alpha tests are released on Linux and Win32 (I would create a Mac OS X version but I dont have a Mac :s )

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
One word: Youtube.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
Does MiniB3D work on Mac/Linux platforms?

Is there no game play in the video? or just the login screen?

puki(Posted 2009) [#4]
Eh?

This shows a menu?

It's a video of a menu?

Sniff me sausage's back legs.

*(Posted 2009) [#5]
Minib3d works on Win32 and linux, havent got a mac so cant test it on there

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#6]
So how does that work? has it been converted to use OpenGL then? I'm curious because I am debating whether or not to upgrade to BMax from B3D

*(Posted 2009) [#7]
Minib3d is inherantly OpenGL as is BlitzMax. The whole menu system shown is 100% OpenGL I can scale it and rotate everything as I want to :).

Basically what I wanted was a 3d engine that would look the same no matter where it was used and what platform and with minib3d I have found it :)

Yeah the vid only shows the main menu system I am currently coding the Star system generator so that I can put the players in the LAVE system, when I have players flying around I will release a vid of that (also as soon as I find a decent video capture application, Fraps is good at what it does but atm I dont have any money to buy video capture software with).

*(Posted 2009) [#8]
Plash: You mean this

Had to wait for Youtube to allow it to go live :)

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#9]
I'm glad to see it's coming along well!

Now that you mention coding the star system and planet Lave, the original Elite planet/system names were derived by an algorithm, have you got access to the same pattern?
Not that it really makes a difference to me ;)

*(Posted 2009) [#10]
I have the same algorithm from textelite :)

*(Posted 2009) [#11]
Worklog for the prohect is here

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#12]
good to see its moving forward edzup!

*(Posted 2009) [#13]
its a tough game to create in multiplayer form, yes single player would have been out years ago but everyone has thier own oppinion on what Elite Multiplayer should be.

I have had to whittle down all the requests etc and make the game how I wanted it and see where we go from there. ATM I can fly to Lave and the networking doesnt cause any stutter in the game, what I want to do is get everyone seeing everyone else and see what happens then :). We have Surreal onboard too (BlitzPlayPro fame) to help with the networking side of things.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#14]
How many players do you think you can support?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#15]
Don't take this the wrong way, but do you realistically think you'll ever finish this? Elite 2 didn't take this long.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#16]
GFK.

Will you stomp on my hope too, its been weighing me down for too long.. . or did i take that the wrong way ?

Btw , I think it looks pretty cool. I hope you do finish it. I played an elite game on my old Tandy PC ages ago , I think it was the first realtime 3D game I had.

Ill have to check out ELITE 2 , I never knew it existed.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#17]
or did i take that the wrong way ?
Yes.

puki(Posted 2009) [#18]
Ah, that explains "RifRaf's" newfound hatred of me.

I bet he wasn't happy that I pointed out that the video was a video of a menu.

However, in fairness - I want so see spaceships and stuff - things blowing up.

:)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#19]
Lol, well I was only teasing GFK. I dont hate anyone at all. I do love flipping through countless puki posts to find those good gems. And his menu is pretty sweet and nostalgic

puki(Posted 2009) [#20]
Ah, wait a minute - I had you mixed up with "EdzUp".

"RifRaf" is the guy that made a tank from a mechanised fire extinguisher.

Ignore me.

:)

*(Posted 2009) [#21]

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you realistically think you'll ever finish this? Elite 2 didn't take this long.

Yup I have the networking down, I just need to do the prediction system to link the data send from the server. Im currently working on the Players seeing each other system :).

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#22]
I have much more faith in Elite Multiplayer being finished than in "Elite IV" being released by 2011 :D

*(Posted 2009) [#23]
The thing here is that Elite may seem like a simple game but there is MUCH more too it than it seems, players have to see each other, all NPC's in the local space, all cargo in space and combat/missiles. Take into account that could be with sixty four players in the system and then the data does mount up.

FYI I have the local player in Lave now so I am working on getting everyone to see everyone else :)

I cant even imagine what a game like Frontier would entail to get it to be multiplayer but as far as whats been said on it there will be a single player version released first.

Defoc8(Posted 2009) [#24]
Yup - one of my fave games of all time - its amazing you have managed to
stick with this project for so long...fingers crossed you get it done ;) :)
- goodluck!

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#25]
We have Surreal onboard too (BlitzPlayPro fame) to help with the networking side of things.

Wait, what? He's alive? Where'd you dig him up from?

Poke him with a stick and get him to post here - or on your forums, if they're working. Some of us have been worried sick. <sniff!>

[edit] Never mind, I'll hunt him down myself. :o)

[edit2] Damn. I sound like puki. Kill me now.

*(Posted 2009) [#26]
Defoc8: yup been with it since Blitz3d was released but im still working on it, I feel that this is the final rewrite of the game, once this is finished I will have finally reached beta 8) and version 1 :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#27]
glad you sussed the networking malarky.

*(Posted 2009) [#28]
The networking was the easy bit tbh its everything else associated with Elite that gets tricky, especially the player update system.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#29]
What's the plans for the economy? That'd be a bit daunting if multiple players are doing multiple trade-runs at the same time.
Sorry if it's a secret at thhe mo :)

*(Posted 2009) [#30]
Well basically every player is offered a certain number of cargo items (ala your stockmarket is your own), if people buy cargo then thats upto them. This way everybody is offered some good stuff and they can dock in the knowledge that they will get a price thats set.

The main reason for this approach is simply it means people can buy goods and push the price up (hence a group of players could make credits by buying and selling cargos if it changes when players buy or sell).

*(Posted 2009) [#31]

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#32]
pfft Cargo bay Extension, Rear and Side Lasers, Energy Bomb, Galactic Hyperdrive, andd 100Cr Clean/Harmless... I think you're cheating :P

*(Posted 2009) [#33]
rofl

Its a test of the equipment to make sure it fits on the screen ;)

H&K(Posted 2009) [#34]
I know you are trying to do a "retro" style, but I really really hate that "low res" Looking font.

It was just about acceptable way back when That WAS the resolution, however it just dont sit well nowadays. Spend a day or two trying to find a font that is both retro yet high res. (if you know what I mean)

And Well done on continueing with this, (But really a vid of password entry and menu lol)

*(Posted 2009) [#35]
yeah i know about the vid but fraps cut off at an oppertune moment I will post another vid when the prediction system is in there as I want it to look its best :)

Once all the screens are in there I can work more on everything else :)

Duckstab[o](Posted 2009) [#36]
yeah easy on the eyes is the way o/

i can stand low poly models but when it comes to struggling to read its a nono

*(Posted 2009) [#37]
I think the font im using is easy on the eyes :), I can change it if enough people dont like it its the original Elite+ font (converted to 3d code)

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#38]
My only criticism with the font is that the characters are a little too 'thick' it can get hard to distinguish a couple of characters when trying to read 'quickly', and large-width chars, typically the 'zero', actually touch. Still, I admiore the continuity with keeping with the original style.