Veg Attack

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Veg Attack

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#1]
I just put together this drama-dripping render for my game Tommy Tronic. Sums up his plight quite nicely I think...well, in conjunction with a little background story it will.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
Looks good. Maybe try with a higher resolution shadow map, though?

What's it rendered in?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
Looks awesome..

My only crit would be the pumpkin giving it a Halloween feeling... maybe use a creepy looking potato if thats not the intent. ;)

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#4]
It's Max 7 - the shadow map is pretty huge 2048 pixels - I blurred it because I thought it was looking too sharp - the scene had too much 'clatter' as it is.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#5]
It's an angry carrot! You'd have to play the game, or at least see it to make an exact connection with what's going on here...as long as it intrigues, it's done its job.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#6]
I like that picture, it looks professional to me. If Gfk said nothing about the shadows, I would have never even noticed.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
It's Max 7 - the shadow map is pretty huge 2048 pixels - I blurred it because I thought it was looking too sharp - the scene had too much 'clatter' as it is.
Oh right... could you not use area shadows instead of a shadow map, and maybe lower the shadow density a little? Does max7 have area shadows?

Its just that my eye is immediately drawn to the tree shadow in the middle of the pic, which is why I noticed it seemed a bit blocky.

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#8]
Looks good, but there's something wrong with the lighting.

The kids seem to be lit by an ordinary light bulb. Even worse is that the boys pants say there's some ambient lighting going on, even though the girl's face says there's no ambient light, just a hard shadow caused by the boy in the light of the moon.

I'd suggest fixing it a bit, maybe making the shadows just a tiny little bit crispier (hope that's the right word) as Gfk said, and try to set a blue-ish tint all over the image (can be photoshopped after the render, so don't struggle adjusting light colors forever :) ).

Hope my comment helps ;)

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#9]
What girl? What are you smoking? The lighting is comic book, theatrical and utterly faked - it's a cartoon world after all. I'm not too worried about realistic lighting, it's a bit like saying he only has 3 fingers - the fingers stay and so does the corny lighting ;)

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#10]
Oh lol, took a closer look. I actually meant the dog lol.

Seriously, I think a blue tint would make it much better. I know that's my opinion, but give it a try.

Btw, not smoking anything, just tired :)

Matty(Posted 2009) [#11]
Looks great.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#12]
It looks great. When you posted similar pictures in the past, I know people had a few criticisms - not of the quality but rather there wasn't enough of a narrative element to them - and you've completely taken care of that now. The picture tells a story, and the story tells you about the game, which is the purpose of such a title/promotional image. So big props to you for that.

My only complaint would be the way the shadow falls on the dog. When I see Tommy, I have that nice clean line down his left side which is lit, and I expect to see the same on the dog. I know it's accurate because the shadow should fall where it does fall, but if you could perhaps move the dog a little so that he is lit down the left side, it would make the whole image much more coherent and stop drawing the eye to the dog. It's just too dark at the moment, and that's why Jim thought it was a girl. I had a hard time figuring it out too.

skn3(Posted 2009) [#13]
Personally I wouldn't change anything to do with the style/lighting-position/characters/positioning/etc, the picture is frickin solid :)

I would agree with Gfk though, the shadow map size does seem quite blocky under the tree. Not that anyone would notice without a trained eye. But you will naturally have to impress people with a trained eyes using this image so maybe you should heed our advice?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#14]
Personally I wouldn't change anything to do with the style/lighting-position/characters/positioning/etc, the picture is frickin solid :)

I agree.

I am not sure why somebody would complain about unrealistic shadows in a game that has floating, mean looking veggies with glowing eyes. It is a game, not reality.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#15]
>>I am not sure why somebody would complain about unrealistic shadows in a game that has floating, mean looking veggies with glowing eyes. It is a game, not reality.<<

I agree..if you wanna complain about something, instead of shadows, pay attention on to character with 4 fingers..so, it really doesnt matter if you ask me..its game..its fun, its cute... :)

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#16]
I am not sure why somebody would complain about unrealistic shadows in a game that has floating, mean looking veggies with glowing eyes.

No one has complained about unrealistic shadows.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#17]
No one has complained about unrealistic shadows.
For the dense among us, I was paraphrasing. Virtually every critique has been about the "shadows".

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#18]
Looks great imo.. The four finger hand is a little creepy, but still very nice :)

Sung(Posted 2009) [#19]
Hello Hujiklo

its pure dynamic - thats looks great!

I love it

puki(Posted 2009) [#20]
Looks very exciting.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#21]
For the dense among us, I was paraphrasing.

Perhaps your dictionary has the definitions for paraphrasing and fabricating switched.

Virtually every critique has been about the "shadows".

Hmm, two possibilities then. Either something is wrong with the shadows or there's a conspiracy of dense people who are obsessed with unrealistic shadows trying to bring the game down. Now if only I could work out which was more probable.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#22]
Either something is wrong with the shadows
The only way to know that for sure would be to replicate the scene and conditions in real life. It is a game, it is NOT real. The shadows look fine and in no way take away from the image.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2009) [#23]
Excellent work. Particularly liked the way you produced the trees and grass. Nicely done.

The shadow does seem to draw the eye though. Perhaps because it's so big and appears to have a couple of eyes in a monster-like way, lol. Just a couple of pebbles that should be moved I think. And a sharper shadow to better fit with the sharp tree and grass.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#24]
I like the focus spot you gave the enemies; i'd just say to balance the focus of the carrot monster with the other creatures, as he seems to receive a bigger attention.

Also if we're able to criticize the art itself, I think Tommy's right thumb looks very odd and unrealistic, even for cartoon art.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#25]
If I get time - I'll redo the tree shadows - it's not as simple as it sounds and will require a bit of work to get around alpha problems.

The meshes and materials are the actual Blitz3D low-poly meshes with a meshsmooth modifier over them and nothing else. They held together surprisingly well really. I just don't have time to go into too much detail on any one one thing right now and everything is a rush. Making a game like this alone is way too much work and bad for your health - I'll never do it again!! So yeah, thumbs, ears, ding-dang-doodlies are all worthy of criticism...just got no time, got to get stuff to a reasonable standard and move on...or in my case: chase bugs in my code.

Thanks for the opinions.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2009) [#26]
Totally understand - just remove the pebbles placed within the shadow. Pro quality as it stands.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#27]
Just made this for the end-of-game 'happy ending'. Short and sweet, and even more cartoony...jump, roll, stand and move forward, that's me that is!

It'll do.

puki(Posted 2009) [#28]
Woof-woof!

I'm jealous of him - I want a doggy pal.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#29]
That "dog and boy" thing reminds me of Heart of Darkness, for PC and PSone.
Did it serve as an inspiration for your project?

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#30]
No - never looked at Heart of Darkness. The boy\dog thing is hardly original at any rate - Tommy is based on my son from when he was around 4 years old...also a Russian cartoon I saw with a cute kid in who also had a similar pooch, though the style is very different...anyhow Tommy Tronic went through many phases before I settled on the one 'look'. Clean, crisp and cartoony is quick to do and ages well; it was a rational decision for a one man team.

puki(Posted 2009) [#31]
I just noticed the bubble - what is it for?

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#32]
Hey hujiklo, in that vector art topic in this subforum did you catch my question (if you had a higher res version of those icons you made)?

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#33]
The ' bubble' is the sun - maybe it's too flat? I didn't want to over do it in such a critical position.

Kryzon - no sorry didn't read your question. I can do what ever res is required obviously, but it's not a good idea - those icons are bought and paid for....not sure if the company I did them for would even be happy me posting a jpeg of them, so 'hush'!

Matty(Posted 2009) [#34]
The other render is really nice too.

puki(Posted 2009) [#35]
Not the sun; I see a bubble above the boy's head. I find it intriguing.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#36]
Puki - I never even noticed it! Amazing what some people see and others don't...that's just some lense-flare that has found its way there! Still, you can read into it what you like - maybe the bubble subconsciously represents the soaring price of sausages?

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#37]
Oh bummer...well, if you have any personal icon with as much quality as those, I'd sure like to see a high res version.

And thank you for your time.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#38]
Go on then...one icon won't hurt I don't think.

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#39]
love the cartoony style, great stuff

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#40]
The details are really impressive!

thanks for the effort into putting this here, I appreciate it.

Orca(Posted 2009) [#41]
I think all the images look great, as is.

skn3(Posted 2009) [#42]
Second render looks good. Are you gonna do any animation for cutscene or intro ?

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#43]
No there will be no cut-scenes or intro - the download would be just too huge...though I'd love to do an intro to the game.

Imphenzia(Posted 2009) [#44]
As mentioned above - impressive! I like the style and in particular the clean cartoony feel of the second shot.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#45]
I don't know isn't this a bit anti-vegitarian? ;0)

This is great stuff!