Vector Art

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Vector Art

Yahfree(Posted 2009) [#1]
That logo thread got me thinking about some vector art.

Does anyone have some that they'd like to share? I made a couple in the last hour:

skn3(Posted 2009) [#2]
Here is one I did for work.

Didn't do the man (did the fishing net) because boss was breathing down my neck about how long it was taking!

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#3]
I've made that many crappy Vector Art things I'm dizzy with it all. Here's a few icons:

I've done enough to see me through one life-time. Don't know why, but I just don't like Vector Art.

Yahfree(Posted 2009) [#4]
Cool, I personally like vector art. It's a whole lot easier to get a clean / stylized icon. There's also the fact that you can save it out at any size, and it'll still come out clean and sharp.

Edit: Made this little guy as just an asset for web design.. to tile vertically to make a center piece for a single column website.

Here's it tiled a couple times:

I'm trying to achieve a glass/plastic look though, but I think I might need to create a piece that would go above the tiles with that single glassy highlight.

PGF(Posted 2009) [#5]
@Yahfree

Don't know if it is deliberate or not but that image shows obvious banding when tiled. Each strip varies from brighter at the top to darker at the bottom.

It is particularly evident above the word 'plastic' but continues from there all the way to the right edge.

Looks like you used a circular highlight set above the strip and that brightens it unevenly.

Yahfree(Posted 2009) [#6]
Ah, here's a glass look I'm looking for:

..I guess? I don't know, still experimenting.

Yahfree(Posted 2009) [#7]
@PGF
Interesting, my monitor doesn't show banding, it seems smooth. Are you talking about the horizontal gradient from yellow-green to dark-green?

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#8]
Nice artwork!

I should practice more with Vector art, lol you make it look so easy!

WERDNA

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
Hujiklo: pretty professional looking icons, there!

Yahfree(Posted 2009) [#10]
I think I nailed it:

What do you think?

Solid color+White Linear gradient+Center white radial gradient+white rounded rectangle highlight+Inset

:p

PGF(Posted 2009) [#11]
@Yahfree

Now it is fixed.

There was a distinct shading from the top to bottom of each band. Not noticeable on a single instance but obvious when they were tiled. It was slightly off centre as if lit from the top left outside of the image.

Gone now so did you render it again ?

There is still a slight left to right stepping effect as for any blend. I can especially see where it goes from RGB 201,252,0 to 201,251,0 and again when it changes to 200,250,0. There are a few less noticeable bands to either side of these.

Most of the rest appears to me to be smooth and I only really see the steps 'out of the corner of my eye'. It all but disappears when I look at it directly. And it isn't monitor quantisation because I can definitely see a number of steps and the values change by only 1 in G or R & G.

Maybe the eye better distinguishing small changes around that part of the spectrum ?

Yahfree(Posted 2009) [#12]
I did render it again, but I didn't make any changes to the green gradient, only to the shadow gradients. Anyways, it's fixed now, so that's good.

Yahfree(Posted 2009) [#13]
I think I'm having too much fun with vector art..

Check out my wizard:

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#14]
Some of you artists should give quotes on logo design.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#15]
what programs are you guys using, i use flash cs3.

Yahfree(Posted 2009) [#16]
Inkscape

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#17]
I use Paint Shop Pro: Photo X2. It can do all that Vector stuff but I never knew what use it was until now. I should try to make some images sometime.

skn3(Posted 2009) [#18]
Adobe indesign *shudder*

Reactor(Posted 2009) [#19]
What's wrong with Indesign? (aside from it being a page layout tool, more than a vector editor)

skn3(Posted 2009) [#20]
oh did I say indesign.. lol I meant to say illustrator!

(this still applies)
Nothing really I guess. It might be something to do with the ancient copy we have at work. CS (no 2,3 or 4). In it, transparency/alpha/masks are a nightmare and grouped layers tend to randomly break whatever filters/etc you have setup.

I tried inkscape and really liked that.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#21]
Wrist watch:

EDIT: Hey Hujiklo, those are some very nice icons. Got a higher res picture of them?

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#22]
Yahfree. I think your wizard would look better with thicker lines. Nice though.

Hujiklo, that's quality icons there. Really good stuff.

Orca(Posted 2009) [#23]
Here's a couple of things I did awhile back. Just to practice and learn inkscape. Really would like to put more time in and get serious but yeah..

Last one's the demo splash image for my game library-framework-engine-whatever you want to call it. ( Yes shameless plug, no, website does not exist yet. )

Baystep Productions(Posted 2009) [#24]
Do these count?

p.s. I'm for hire!