Webcomic

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Webcomic

Makepool(Posted 2009) [#1]
I’ve been doing a lot of web programming lately including ActionScript for Flash. I teamed up with some friends to create an experimental webcomic. It’s animated but supposed to work as a static traditional comic as well. I just wondered what the Blitzers here that like comics think of it.

http://www.razor-webcomic.co.uk/

andy_mc(Posted 2009) [#2]
it's really good, keep it up. If it get's popular though and you end up thinking of writing a game based on it, please for god's sake make it better than the penny arcade game.

FlameDuck(Posted 2009) [#3]
Or the Strongbad game.

nawi(Posted 2009) [#4]
Make it require fewer clicks, and make it so that you can view the whole page without scrolling down (I had to manually zoom the page).

Makepool(Posted 2009) [#5]
In actual fact we’re already working on a game. I don’t want to say too much in case we change direction on it but we intend to make a demo playable on the website in Flash and a full game in Blitz Max to download.

As for the scrolling you can set the size of the webpage by going to the settings page so there’s no need to monkey about with the browser. I’ve been thinking about the comic ratio myself though. I’ll pass your comments on to the others.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#6]
i havnt looked at yours yet (sorry) but ive recently watched the motion comic of the watchmen and although not a new concept it really brings it to life and id like to see more vertigo (DC imprint) titles in this way

and although weve had flash webisodes for some time, happy tree friends, the slim shady show, lenore and strongbad to name a few id like to see more especially in the style of sin city and wachmen

edit:
ok ive watched it up to the last available page
i agree bout the scrolling issues and the clicking (didnt know there was a resize option though)
the image where the hero jumps away from the centurion should have had the pre juimp removed once he ended up elsewhere, it kinda spoilt the pannel
if you do a voice over please try and get someone competant ;)

skn3(Posted 2009) [#7]
Its good!

I does feel a little rushed in the story telling department already only after 2 "episodes".

I reckon you need more talk between characters. Now its just like "boo hoo".. "ok im leaving town"..

The screen size thing is an issue. You could look at automating the screen size by using javascript to send dimensions to the flash app? That way it would size to the users window.

Don't get lazy on some of the drawings. The quality seems to fluctuate. Especialy the backgrounds. It seems some of the backgrounds are very rushed in comparison to some of the main characters. I may be wrong here, but I recognise the rushed bits because I have done drawing like that before ;). You could so with adding another step in your drawing process. A step to refine the line work more before coloring.

It could look nice if you had some more finer details. EG dragon flies buzzing around the water, birds flapping in the distance, dust clouds going across the path and other non essential visual cues. They will greatly enhance the atmosphere.

All above meant as constructive criticism. Its a really good start.