Wallpaper for you lot!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Wallpaper for you lot!

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just messing around with my Canon EOS 450D, and taking some close up pictures of coins, to try something different.

Cut down size:

1024 x 768:

1366 x 768 (widescreen) a friend has this res on his laptop:

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
Just messing around with my Canon EOS 450D
I hate you.

I'm still stuck with my Fuji cam cos I can't afford a DSLR. Had my eye on a 450D for ages now.

What lens did you take the 1024x768 5p pic with? (I'm specifically asking about that one, cos its the only pic I can see).

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#3]
Just the standard lens that comes with it. Turn the lens to zoom in as much as possible, then get as close as you can. For some reason my top picture isn't appearing...

I got the cam for £450, but i hear the 1000D is a bit cheaper, and has pretty much the same features, smaller MP and only 7 point metering (makes no difference IMO)

EDIT: Note the wallpapers aren't actually the sizes stated. I have taken off 25 pixels to account for the task bar, so it doesn't distort the images.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
That's a good result for the 18-55mm lens as it isn't even a specific macro lens.

£450 aint a bad price - still way out of my budget though, for now.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#5]
I think the 1000D is £350 if that's any better. I can't afford a macro lens though. It's over £100 and i broke myself getting that camera 6 month ago.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#6]
Well, my car is paid for at the end of this year (five bloody years!), so I might get to treat meself soon if nothing comes up in the meantime. :)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
Well worth it mate. Its a great leap from the point and click cams :o)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#8]
Yeah. I've got so frustrated with my current kit that I just don't use it any more. That said, I've done weddings with it in the past and got paid over £300 for 5 hours work.

Where I've just moved to, I couldn't even tell you where the nearest church is, let alone when anybody's getting married in it.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#9]
Weddings eh? That's a good idea man :o)

plash(Posted 2009) [#10]
Nice! I'd love to have me one of them.

puki(Posted 2009) [#11]
I wouldn't - they end in divorce and misery.

plash(Posted 2009) [#12]
I wouldn't - they end in divorce and misery.
You thought I was referring to a wedding!? Don't be silly.

That camera is win.

Shambler(Posted 2009) [#13]
I've got the 350D and it is a great camera.

In your shot next time, try closing down the aperture, you will need a longer exposure time and probably a tripod but this will give you more depth of field.

I recommend SLIK tripods.

The EOS range of cameras are great to experiment with, so easy to use.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#14]
Thanks for the tip. I took it whilst sitting on the couch, with background light coming in, so i could use a lower ISO. I will look into SLIK tripods. Cheers :) And yeah, the cameras are great to use.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2009) [#15]
Just got my wife a 50D - I've shown her these pics and she's impressed :)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#16]
Just zoom the sucker right in to the very limit of the focus. You can get fairly close pics with the standard lens. Thanks for the comments :)

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#17]
Ya know, I once had this 5p (one of the new ones) where the whole image on the back (i.e. not the Queen) was off-centre and the coin was slightly oblate, the grooves around the edge were missing for a section of the circumference and evidence of them continued across the faces of the coin on both sides. Weird huh? I doubt it could be forged (well it COULD - but I doubt it'd be worth it for 5p ;) )

Anyway, just seeing that first photo reminded me of that.

It's a shame the focus goes out slightly right close to the camera, but otherwise theyre really nice. I'm impressed with the level of detail.

Oh, and, in my usual weird manner of admiring the rest of something aside from the point... I think the texture of the table iss great and adds a nice touch :)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#18]
Old US coins with problems like that are actually worth quite a bit of money to collectors here. Unless, of course, there were millions of them minted with that problem. But if it was just a mistake or two, then the value sky rockets.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#19]
forged 5p's?
im sure it costs more to mint 1's and 2's than they are worth, yet they still mint new ones each and every year

guy upstairs was given a double stamped 20p in change when they first came out (in 82?) he regrets spending it as it could have been worth something now

im keeping the new design that has part of the shield on each coin and alot of random 'commemerative' coins just in case, so that one day, if i have em, my grand children might have a box of £2 coins worth more than £2

Yasha(Posted 2009) [#20]
Given that (if you believe the government's propaganda) coins are actually worth slightly more by weight of metal (1.1x or something) than their face value, what would be the point in forging coins at all?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#21]
It's a shame the focus goes out slightly right close to the camera
Its called bokeh. Its meant to be like that. Artistic licence.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#22]
Yeah, i'll need to play with the depth of field setting a little :) I want a macro lens!