SWNG (Star Wars Space Simulation)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/SWNG (Star Wars Space Simulation)

NightPhoenix(Posted 2009) [#1]
Project SWNG -or- "Star Wars - Era of War"
SWEoW is a Star Wars fangame based on Blitz3D.
The game has an own characteristic, but has special properties of other spacegames like Freelancer, X series, X-Wing series, and Elite.

I work since one year on this project. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it made very huge steps in the past.

There are already 5 videos on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7FoF0OqnR0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxYIZU_hp8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgdEBmEh6hU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqdVF6oA3uw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQpEQG3tx-0

And a detailed worklog on www.blitzforum.de (in german)
http://www.blitzforum.de/worklogs/136/

And the official forum
www.SW-EoW.de

Here are some pictures ;)

Hope you enjoy =)
NightPhoenix

puki(Posted 2009) [#2]
This looks exciting.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#3]
oh yes....

plash(Posted 2009) [#4]
Cool stuff. Although I think the planets may be too.. shiny.

NightPhoenix(Posted 2009) [#5]
The shininess of Coruscant is original ;-) The most of the planet surface of Coruscant is metall, because the whole planet is a huge City =)
But may I must agree with your point for the other planets. It's easy to fix/fit, because I work with many external files where I just have to change one number ;)

ISD without texture

4600 Triangles, LOD version 1400 Tris (The cannons take that much)

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#6]
looks pretty good

Shambler(Posted 2009) [#7]
Stylistically I love the last images with no texture.

@Plash, havent't you been up there lately, don't you know that all planets are that shiny? ;)

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2009) [#8]
Do you need help with the artwork? I work at a animation school that may have a lot of students that would like the help with this. Looks fun.

contact me at cnisbet@... for more info

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#9]
This looks very promising but, forgive me for saying this, why not make something original? You obviously have the skills. How about designing your own spaceships, planets and setting? It seems somewhat of a waste, you know?

But good luck with it anyway. :)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#10]
Using an existing franchise is both a blessing and a curse -- one one side you get the established back-story and the name recognition, on the other hand you're only a cease-and-desist letter away form having all your hard work get flushed down the drain...

That said: nice looking GFX!

NightPhoenix(Posted 2009) [#11]
Mmmh maybe George become a friend of me :-P
No Xlsior is right, it's blessing and curse and I know about. But I'm a Star Wars fan since my childhood. Never again a SciFi adventure impressed me more than SW, not Stargate, not StarTrek... oh wait... Riddick! it's an exception ;)
I plan to create my own space-adventure with own ships, story, etc. when I have finished the game engine and the star wars stuff. It should be easy to implement ;) the game has something like a mod plugin.
It should be a very hard job to create a new spaceadventure which has a nearly similar potential like SW. But I will try, that's for sure ;)

*edit*
By the way... Lucas Arts allow everyone to publish freeware Star Wars themed stuff, if you are not more successful than them ;)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#12]
great models of the spacecraft, well done :)

I agree, the planet looks bad though, like a big slimey bogey, it spoils an otherwise great work :/

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#13]
May the Force be with you.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#14]
The green polystyrene imperial star destroyer is my favourite!

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#15]
I was about to complement your stars featured in the first 2 images. I thought, they look really good! Then i scrolled and the stars didn't move...

Just dust on me monitor :o)

Great looking graphics!

NightPhoenix(Posted 2009) [#16]
lol Ross ^^
Maybe some of you want to see more pictures, ask questions, comment stuff related SW-EoW.
So I founded a forum yesterday.
There is an english and german section, in short time I will translate the german worklogs into english (my english isn't quite well but I try to make it easy to understand for you all ^^)

See you at SW-EoW Forum

and here is my new creation for the game, you find some more informations in the forum

NightPhoenix(Posted 2009) [#17]
I uploaded a new video some days before.

Click me. I'm a video link.

Enjoy ;-)
NightPhoenix

Uncle(Posted 2009) [#18]
Graphics look great. The only comment I have is that when you are spinning around Space looks awfully small. There isn't a great impression that you are in an endless void. I think it may have something to do with the camera zoom. It seems quite high, as it looks like you viewing through a fish eye lens.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#19]
Very nice! although I'd like to see more in-game model shots instead of beauty ones (rendered from your modelling package).

NightPhoenix(Posted 2009) [#20]
Ok next screens will show the new ship models (ingame) ;)

Here you can see the new sun effect.

The intensity of the effect is changing in different view angles. Additionally the overglowing sun effect disapperas if something is covering the sun.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#21]
Looks pretty, though a little dark.

I recall a discussion previously about lighting in space.
Whilst realistically, anything viewed facing away from the nearest light source (i.e. star) would be pretty much pitch-black and be practically invisible if it passes in front of the star, but in games, this approach is rarely used, favouring a level of ambient lighting so that ships etc. can still be seen in glorious detail but perhaps with some shadows.

I think this decision allows nice textures and surface details etc. not to be lost and also for playability.

Imphenzia(Posted 2009) [#22]
Nice modelling and texture work! The videos look promising too =)

NightPhoenix(Posted 2009) [#23]
Yeah it's dark, I know ^^ But like you said, it's space.
Hmm the X-Wing Alliance games used low ambient light too to get filmlike planet shapes.
X-Wing Alliance Link

I have finished a new Modell+Texture:
Firespray (Slave I)

Sorry it is rendered again, but ingame the modell looks nearly the same. I'm amazed about it, but it's true. ;) really
The Logo I posted at the very beginning (with the green planet and X-Wing) is a screenshot and the ones with the sun, too.
I will post some Screens of the Modell ingame tomorrow after I included it into the game (I'm to tired to do it now, it's 1:22 am)

Regards,
NightPhoenix

*edit*
Ingame:

Shambler(Posted 2009) [#24]
Too much dust in those pics for me NightPhoenix, or is it dark matter? no matter, it's not dark enough!

Maybe have the dust look an optional feature?

Other than that it's great!

NightPhoenix(Posted 2009) [#25]
Errr... no this is just a background image which can be turned off ^^ The Coruscant system will have no dust background in future (in the films there is no, too). It's a relict of the dust testing several months before.

Small updates

system map

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#26]
I like the concept, and I like Star Wars, but arent you concerned with your game being shut down by LucasArts at some point ? I would be if I were putting alot of hours into somthing.

Looks good though

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#27]
I like the looks of this project...

I like the concept, and I like Star Wars, but arent you concerned with your game being shut down by LucasArts at some point ? I would be if I were putting alot of hours into somthing.

Yeah, maybe some back-up models and names would be good to swap in just in case.

NightPhoenix(Posted 2009) [#28]
There are some more freeware StarWars games with original content. George Lucas never stopped a fan project before. He said in an interview some years ago that he supports fanmade projects to extend the SW universe and increase the popularity.

Nevertheless it's a risc in right terms, so I hope he likes my project ;)

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#29]
ha ha he is n't that keen on fan made art. I remember years ago there was a nicely made star wars mod for unreal tournament and the guy got sued over it.
eventually lucas relented but it took a lot of effort from the guy who made it

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#30]
well the starwars mod would detract from jedi knight II pvp-ing, so i can see lucas arts (more than lucas) stance in that respect

there was a starwars .x model website that got closed down, alot of the models were quite good, who knows, perhaps the same models found their way into battlefront

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#31]
Honestly, I'd be a little honored if Lucas shut down a project of mine...

... Then I would remember the work I put into it and just be sad.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#32]
I think the major issue comes when the fan made product is so well conceived that it actually threatens (albeit very little) LucasArts' official products.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#33]
Dude, what are you making that in? BMax and a 3d engine or Blitz3D(prolly not B3D).....No, that can't be Blitz3D. Has to be BMax and a 3D engine for sure.

That's like on par and/or superior than any Star Wars game I've seen. And I played a LOT of X-Wing. I'm kinda speechless and like...I was almost giggling like a little kid while watching the videos. Are you gonna put a demo soon? And is it multiplayer? And WHO ARE YOU REALLY?!!? ;)

I'm just gonna start calling you George, okay?

NightPhoenix(Posted 2009) [#34]
Hehe ok :)

It's Blitz3D yep.
I would be sad too but I think there are possibilities to negotiate with them or if nothing works: invent my own universe with new ships, new setting, new characters, new story. Everything but Star Wars.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#35]
after reading some of the early starwars books (the delray 80's ones) when some got collected into compendiums in the mid 90's after the zhan(?) novels and dark horse adaptations reinvigorated the scene, i did wonder how many were generic sci-fi stories that had the old find replace trick used on them to make them starwars based
mind you marvel uk did some really strange stories compared to the main us story lines, luke finds jedi artifacts from 1000 years ago and they used swords not light sabers, yet in official cannon lightsabers were in use for thousands of years. but i think its safe to say very little from the marvel storylines made it into canon

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#36]
Any updates on this? All the videos (except 2) on youtube have been made Private. Just wondering if George smacked you down...