concept work

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/concept work

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#1]
thought I would try my hand at a few concepts. never done any before and thought it was time to break out of my comfort zone

maximo(Posted 2009) [#2]
thats very good for your first time, can you tell how you did this?

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#3]
yeah I used a 3d model I made in zbrush as a base and painted over it in photoshop.

i use the smudge tool a lot to get that painterly look

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#4]
All that detailed work, and the buckles on her shoes are off. Almost like they were thrown on at the last second.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#5]
well it is a concept and it is WIP:)

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#6]
gorgeous

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#7]
I think you painted a texture and have not made a new concept... It's nice looking though.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#8]
wiebo, what do you mean I painted a texture?
I assure you it is a new concept

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#9]
Looking good but I thought, in concept design, you drew the concept first then model using the concept as a reference background image.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#10]
These days particularly in architectural concepting a lot of artists now build a simple 3d model and then paint over it.

Saves a lot of time and you get the perspective/foreshortening spot on

My base model is a very detailed high res female( naked) which I spent many weeks building in zbrush.

In theory I can put this model in any pose I want and then paint the clothes over for my concept.

Its like clothes horse to hang garments on

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#11]
Looks good Ruz! :)

Dabz

skn3(Posted 2009) [#12]
Very impressive, I agree though that it doesn't really seem like a concept!

Not trying to hijack but example of concept:
(as you mention you are trying to stay out of your comformt zone, so this may help)

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#13]
aww cmon I have seen a fair few concepts in my time:)
mine is more of a painting specifically to help me model my character in 3d and to that end I think it does the job fine.
If I had time I would do a side view also, but TBH its often easier/faster to flesh it out in 3d

BTW your last character is very untidy in terms of edge loops. you seem to have made random edge cuts for some reason.

you could make better use of the polys . I would say for that sort of character I would use no more then a polycount of 1000

skn3(Posted 2009) [#14]
Oh heh I misunderstood your posting then ;) Well no doubt your picture looks good but doing a "traditional" concept can often improve the end product quite a fair bit. It is the point in a model's life where you are free from restrictions imposed by a symetrical mesh. Its why you often see outlandish concepts that only vaugly resemble their 3d counterpart...

Yeah agree the last model is kinda messy. I have drifted away from doing 3D as my job has changed! so that is from about 4 years ago. I miss 3d!

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#15]
yeah i am not a natural concept guy, I am a bit too used to 3d modelling to go back to sketching and drawing.
I just wanted to make sure if I was asked to do some kind of concept that I was still capable of 2d painting:)

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#16]
He is skipping steps in the "normal flow" of concepting but 3d modeling tools have become simple enough to allow the concepting to be done within the modeling tool itself. Just because he doesn't use paper to concept doesn't detract from the fact that he is generating original art...

Shambler(Posted 2009) [#17]
Very impressive Ruz,looks like you have some natural talent there =)