GIMP image contest

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/GIMP image contest

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#1]
Noticed the photoshop contest, was there ever a winner ?

Photoshop is overpriced for what it is, GIMP is undervalued and there is numerous printed publications about how to use it. You could more than likely buy 5 printed publications about how to use the (free) GIMP, and still have enough to stay in a five star hotel for two for the weekend.

The prize is the prestige of the blitz community knowing that you won it with a image manipulation tool that saved you is it 4 or 5 hundred quid these days for photoshop?. All submissions will be on this thread, the closing date is the 13th May, enjoy.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#2]
Good idea that, I will submit my map i did. Done it from scratcho in gimp.

www.d-grafix.com/temp/map.png

For my web stuff i am starting to prefer gimp over PS in many ways. I am in a kind of limbo between them. Some things cannot be done in PS (or at least not as easily as gimp, and vice versa).

Its not that undervalued, i know many graphics people who actually prefer it and use it professionally for many things over PS (of course they usually have both)

big10p(Posted 2009) [#3]
GIMP fell at the first hurdle for me, what with that awful (IMO) multi-window interface.

Also, just tried running it to remind myself and it took about a minute to load, for some reason! :/

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#4]
It can take longer to load the more custom brushes that you have in the tool bar....

@D4NM4N, good to hear the whole world hasn't swallowed the PS maketing blah.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
I absolutely couldn't stand GIMP's multi-window interface either - regardless of its merits, the interface is a massive hurdle.

Perturbatio(Posted 2009) [#6]
for the GIMP window issue, maximize the canvas window and then right click on the titles of the tool windows and set them to always on top. This more closely resembles the photoshop interface.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#7]
The multi window interface of GIMP is awesome if you use 2 monitors. You can view your canvas using the full screen and put the other two windows on the other monitor.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#8]
Yes it is great on 2. Controls on one, image on two.
GIMP fell at the first hurdle for me, what with that awful (IMO) multi-window interface.
Photoshop has multiple windows too on everthing but windows (that being osx). Anyway, you can make gimp look however you like, especially if you delve deeper than what the settings window allows, it is completely 'open' after all. TBH i am mostly a shortcuts person, i only use the icon palette when i cannot remember/dont know the keys, i just use a script that makes all Gimp shortcuts the same as PS, then they both feel more similar. -even to the point i forget which it is i am using sometimes until i get a split second of confusion when something isn't there or is different :D.
The latest version of gimp seems to have a small bug sometimes (only on windows) with the 'bring to front' window ordering sometimes doesnt work right but it is still quite useable.

As for loading it takes about 2-3 secs on Ubuntu 64 and perhaps 5-6 on Vista (prob. because it uses non windows bindings). Either way it loads faster than PS CS2(..ok on windows its more or less the same:).

@D4NM4N, good to hear the whole world hasn't swallowed the PS maketing blah.
Not at all. If fact i may please you to know that i work now for a team of web developers and designers who all use both gimp and ps (as you know one does other doesnt and vice versa).
Everyone in the office (and we have some very experienced artists) respect gimp as much as PS. Some even more so because while feature for feature it may loose ground a bit, it is a hell of a lot faster and more stable.

*(Posted 2009) [#9]
Having Max on Linux and Win32 Gimp for me is the way forwards :)

Wings(Posted 2009) [#10]
well i use gimp every time.
here a old pic made in gimp. all my art is done with a mouse and gimp.
milkshape offcorse too :)

Last edited 2013

Last edited 2013

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#11]
@Wings nice graphic.

@D4NM4N, yeah , we tend to use two screens also.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#12]
@D4nM4N, didn't notice the link to the map you'd made. I remember being impressed with this image a while back.... Very impressive, you are currently in pole position... 5 days to go!

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#13]
yay me!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#14]
Well done D4NM4N, you are officially the master of the GIMP, well at this thread anyhow!