Leadwerks Terrain Textures 1

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Leadwerks Terrain Textures 1

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#1]
Our goal with this texture package was to provide a cohesive set of terrain textures for a variety of environments. During production we experimented with different techniques to improve appearance and reduce common visual artifacts. We found that by using the same base for all textures in a set we could produce results that blended together better. A special algorithm was written which fades mipmaps out to their average color as the mipmap level increases. This reduces tiling artifacts on far away terrain. Textures use two layers of details so that tiling is reduced but near detail is retained. We also created transition textures that create a natural transition from rock faces to flat ground, by breaking the rocks into smaller pieces.

There are five themes included in this package, for a total of 36 surfaces (148 textures total). Each surface is 1024x1024 and includes diffuse, normal, specular, and displacement maps. Textures are in .tga format and a batch converter to .dds is provided. Five themes are included: forest, jungle, desert, mountain, and savannah.

Product information
Order now

On the left, texture tiling artifacts are very apparent. On the right, faded mipmaps help reduce tiling artifacts on distant terrain:

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#2]
Nice!

Good base on which to add detail objects and vege.

*(Posted 2009) [#3]
Dont take this the wrong way but they do look like they were knocked up if an afternoon in pain shop pro

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#4]
Yes, they look a little amateurish - for instance the small rocks that are sticking through the ground look very strange being faded out behind the grass layer and they tile very badly, seen in the 1st and 5th picture.

The snow image looks OK though, despite overly agressive normal mapping.

CG Textures has lots of good textures for environment and ground mapping.
http://www.cgtextures.com/

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#5]
The first screen looks ok.

faded mipmaps help reduce tiling artifacts on distant terrain

It also makes it look like a smooth blob, I guess this is the only way round the problem though, if you tile textures that much. I quite like the way the old torque engine did its textures. 2 uv sets that have a high detail texture used near the camera in a circle which is blended with a texture thats mapped at a much lower res that covers the whole terrain. Ive got no idea how to code it mind.

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#6]
I think it's all great. Especialy the snow.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#7]
I was a little OTT but washing out makes the far away stuff just look untextured and flat.

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#8]

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#9]
Displacement maps have been added, and the price is now $35.