Bits of Quake2World Artwork

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Bits of Quake2World Artwork

N(Posted 2009) [#1]
Here's some bits and pieces of artwork I'm doing for Quake2World. I won't get into what Quake2World is and isn't, since I'm sure Jay would shoot me for describing it incorrectly, but it's not Quake 1, Quake 2, or Quake 3. The engine is based off Quake 2's, but most of the code has been significantly overhauled. I'm not the guy doing the coding, so I can't really say much beyond that and what I've fiddled with (not much).

That said, I am doing artwork for the project in my spare time (which there is an abundance of lately, but you have to catch me when I'm actually aware that I am awake), despite me sucking at playing the game itself - mostly because everyone else working on it has spent way too much time playing it, whereas I spend my days in a daze not quite knowing what I'm actually doing. That's my excuse, anyway.

So, most recently I made these pretty little health tanks:

Later, I might be able to pull off an effect closer to this for the liquid.

A flagpole for the CTF mode:

It went through a couple different iterations before settling on the simple look, and the spike at the bottom of the pole was removed in the end.

Also remade the ammo boxes, which are pretty generic, but they didn't want unique ammo pickups, so that's what you get.

This was going to be one of the armor models, but I scrapped it in the end, so I'm working on a new one. No pictures of that yet since it's in my sketchbook and I don't have a scanner.

Also working on an icon, since I needed something pretty in my dock. This is still up in the air.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#2]
Looks pretty.
Like most of it, not sure on the ammo boxes.

Zethrax(Posted 2009) [#3]
I quite like the ammo boxes, personally. They seem to fit in well with the rest of the artwork.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#4]
Having another look, my only gripe with the ammo boxes is they seem a little 'basic' , a bit too low poly maybe?

N(Posted 2009) [#5]
I should note that I did not make the models for the ammo boxes. The textures were made back when I was more pressed for time and couldn't make models for the engine easily (supporting MD3 sounds like a nice idea until you want artists to make content for your game- then you get me complaining about how nobody can actually export to MD3 anymore). I don't recall who made the models, but I automatically hate that person.

Again, I'd like to have made unique ammo boxes for each type of ammo, but nobody was in favor of this (I'm assuming because they like color-coded boxes more than a bunch of special items). Tell me if you can identify the varying types of ammo in Unreal Tournament 3 from a distance and you probably have the most compelling argument for simple colored boxes.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#6]
for the models you use ultimate unwrap 3d to output md3 files

N(Posted 2009) [#7]
Reasons for not using Ultimate Unwrap:

A) Windows-only
B) $60 for a crappy tool
C) Use of MD3 has to be discouraged

Three reasons are enough to reject the purchase of a shoddy tool when the game is free and open-source.

stayne(Posted 2009) [#8]
It's awesome seeing Quake 2 still kickin. I was a hardcore Q2 player back in 98 - 01 and even ref'd some PGL matches (wasn't allowed to play). Great work Nilium! Going to check out Q2W now.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#9]
..what is status with Quake 2 engine? is it updated in sense that it has modern features than its origin?? And how is sorted out wobbling over animated characters (MD2 models) ??

stayne(Posted 2009) [#10]
id software released the source a long time ago and lots of folks have modernized the engine such as www.quake2evolved.com...also see the OP's link. Have a run through yourself to see what they have done: http://jdolan.dyndns.org/quake2world/books/documentation/installation-maintenance

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#11]
I'd hardly say UU is a shoddy tool for $60. What else comes close to it at that price? It was significantly overhauled in version 3.

I like most of your artwork here :) Especially the armour. You've always had a good eye for that kind of stuff.

N(Posted 2009) [#12]
I'd hardly say UU is a shoddy tool for $60. What else comes close to it at that price? It was significantly overhauled in version 3.
Blender, whether or not I like it, any home-grown tools, and Silo, to name a few alternatives (granted Silo costs money, but at least it does more than provide basic UV tools and convert files). Again, this is a free and open-source project, if we required people to spend money to contribute to it, then something is wrong, and requiring the use of Ultimate Unwrap- especially when it's a glorified file converter that only runs on Windows (that's pretty important when you're on a Mac and most of the other developers are on Linux)- is wrong.

I could argue about this all day, but it simply comes down to needs, and Ultimate Unwrap does not provide enough bang for your buck. Thus, shoddy. You might have low standards for tools, but I don't.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#13]
UU is a capable level editor too, as they added a 3D gizmo to aid moving, rotating and scale, plus the other stuff like welding.

Perhaps you don't know how to use it properly? I don't know :) Just a difference of opinions.

However, i agree. If it's open source, there's no point in paying for it.

N(Posted 2009) [#14]
Perhaps you don't know how to use it properly? I don't know :) Just a difference of opinions.

I've used every iteration of it since its original release as LithUnwrap. I know better how to use most of the tools anyone will bring up than most people would think, in particular the ones I started with some seven or eight years ago.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#15]
I don't doubt your ability. Your work is very impressive. I remember 3 or 4 years ago, you were knocking out great stuff. But, just because you don't like a tool, doesn't mean it's shoddy.

Anyways, sorry to derail your thread. I looks forward to seeing more about this. I loved Quake 2, and if this dude's made it better, it can't be a bad thing.

stayne(Posted 2009) [#16]
Ross, any time you want to fire up Q2 and run around in q2dm1 let me know :) :).

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#17]
Oh, a challenge!