Gun1

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Gun1

fireshadow4126(Posted 2009) [#1]
A simple rifle/flamethrower/whatever you want to call it thing.
It took me about an hour to model in trueSpace7.6.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2009) [#2]
The handle needs quite a lot of work. Stick with it. ;)

I would go to Google Image Search and try looking at some reference pictures of gun handles and bodies.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
The handle needs quite a lot of work. Stick with it. ;)

I would go to Google Image Search and try looking at some reference pictures of gun handles and bodies.
I agree with all of that, except the "stick with it" part. I'd bin it and start over. I wouldn't even recognise it as a gun if you hadn't said.

Reference images are very useful.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2009) [#4]
I meant more stick with your goal.

The thing is that many guns aren't just tubes. We know that often the barrels are tubes but the actual body of many guns is often sort of angular and flat. (Excluding some western style revolvers and such). When we start drawing as kids we often model guns in our mind as a tube at a 90 degree angle from a tube. But the thing is that people do not have Lego style hands and even the Lego people's hands lack trigger fingers. ;) If you are making a sci-fi style gun you may have some odd looking shapes but bear in mind that guns are always going to have handles made for hands. Action figures often have handles that are pegs but the human hand would have no control over the weapon in that case.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
Lego people don't need fingers. They have mind control.

*ahem*, anyway... I'm reading this book at the moment - its about 2d drawing but the same applies. Basically the principle it teaches you, is that you should draw what you see, not what your brain is telling you that you see. To that end, it teaches you to draw negative space around the subject since these are abstract shapes, and your brain has no pre-conceived ideas about what an abstract shape should look like.

It encourages you to do this by taking a photograph of a person, and turning it upside down. That way you're drawing a bunch of shapes, with light and shade in the right places. If you're drawing a face the right way up the first thing most people would do is start outlining the head and then plop a couple of eyes, a nose and mouth on it.

Anyhoo, reference images - use them, and pay attention to detail so you get a good likeness of the subject.

puki(Posted 2009) [#6]
Hey, pretend you were really making a power drill and it already looks pretty good.

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2009) [#7]
@GFK is that a polite way of saying it is S*&T,vangoughs sun flowers look s*t.(in your eyes probably),to me they are a work of art.In the artists mind they are a work of art.Art is in the artist not a book.Keep reading the book.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#8]
reminds me of some of my first attempts at modeling guns and stuff. keep practicing and USE REFERENCE. if you need some, i can get you some. but google is your best friend.

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#9]
reference images are a MUST - try google images guns

find an image and play about with it, change stuff as you go along bigger barrel wider stock and so on

practice practice , get fed up, then practice some more

just have fun with it :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#10]
@GFK is that a polite way of saying it is S*&T,vangoughs sun flowers look s*t.(in your eyes probably),to me they are a work of art.In the artists mind they are a work of art.Art is in the artist not a book.Keep reading the book.
No its a polite way of saying bin it and move on.

Kindly stop your relentless trolling.

(and its Van Gogh, and yes its a crap painting. Much prefer Constable/Turner).

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2009) [#11]
Hit a nerve sorry GFK.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#12]
Hit a nerve sorry GFK.
No, you were just wrong. Again.

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2009) [#13]
What is trolling GfK.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#14]
What is trolling GfK.

Trolling 255 up, 181 down

To use the internet to start problems, insult, or hurt others. An action that only usually affects the person trolling.
Usually a very bored, lonely person with no friends. Or a punk ass kid.

(source)

Looks like they know you.

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2009) [#15]
Sounds like you GfK.

plash(Posted 2009) [#16]
Stop.

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2009) [#17]
BRL needs a new moderator on this site,this is not working,for there intrest or anyone elses.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#18]
It does look more like a power drill than a gun. And is a lot of triangles for very little detail. Reference material is helpful as David suggests above. Reference material in the form of a real physical object is more helpful than pictures sometimes - maybe buy some toy guns, or have a look at them.

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#19]
maybe buy some toy guns, or have a look at them.

i used to go thru my kids toy boxes just for this reason, weird looks from the missus

fireshadow4126(Posted 2009) [#20]
at least it looks like something
i'll work at it

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#21]
I actually thought it was one of these:-

:D

Still, practice makes perfect, as they say in Chernobyl! ;)

Dabz

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#22]
@Dabhand, well spotted (;-) everybody has to start somewhere, and there is a gap in the market for games where you seal the bath.

But seriously fireshadow, you have good stuff to work with, stick with it and you can only improve.

My first attempt at an articulated trucks wheel got refered to as a tyre - constructive criticism is good!