been doing some animation

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/been doing some animation

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#1]
http://www.mikerusby.com/images/comp1.avi

literally forced myself to do some animation study over the past week.

Although its not all clear to me I think I am improving

character is WIP, some kind of generic thug.

No normal mapping this time.

sick of being bogged down with the tech side of it:0

I just had it in Blitz 3d and its looks pretty good.

I always thought that hand painted stuff renders rather well in Blitz.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
Nice work.. I could never hope to do that with my modeling skills... nitpicking: his jacket seems to stick to him.. perhaps this could be fixed with texturing tricks. Also the bat seems to be floating under his hand and he walks kind of funny/fast

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#3]
i like the walk its got a purpose,,, to t##t someone with his bat

but yep the hands not grasping the bat

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#4]
yup, will fix those little things now.

David-H y4eah thats exactly what I was hoping would come across.

I will do a more casual walk next, then a run.

He is walking almost too fast

I can change that in blitz or whatever engine.

I am actually going to put this on sale, so I will knock up a few LOD's as well.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#5]
the hand that isn't holding onto the bat looks like its made out of rubber. and the walk is too fast but that's been covered.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#6]
well you can exaggerate stuff a bit you know:0

I think the flapping hand is ok really

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#7]
I second the comment about the wobbling hand =X
We don't do that in real life.
The rest looks great, and it's very seamless.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#8]
yeah i will tidy it all up soon, gotta finish the texture first

man i am sick of looking at this character

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#9]
Ya, looks great aside from the left hand made from thin rubber, and the right hand is a bit stiff. Much better than I could ever dream of doing, but those hands stood out right away to me from a gamers pov.

FBEpyon(Posted 2009) [#10]
Looks nice,

Can I suggest something about doing clothing, it might be best to use the jacket as a separate model this way you can set its properties to rag doll along the player model not making it so stiff, but other than that it looks great..

Rag dolling the clothing to the model like jackets and chains (if you add them), help with flow of the movement, providing a better feel to the model. Because once you get the walking down and stuff you don't have to worry about doing the running, the jacket will follow along with the movement of the model, just remember if you do to lock the jacket to the shoulders, back, hips (for longer clothing), and arms; because if you don't you will end up with the jacket going threw the model and it won't look right.

I love the rag dolled clothing because you can make a base model and add whatever you want to it and change the look and feel of the model at anytime. Plus later if you do it right, you can add some shadowing on the model in real time; this looks amazing if done right.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#11]
sounds good FBEpyon, but it can be a pain to set up.

I might if I get time just weight the flappy bits to an extra couple of bones and animate them.
the idea was to produce simplish models .

perhaps even a ring of bones aorund the skirt of the jacket mught do the trick
I will have a look at this soon

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#12]
Where did you learn to paint character textures (I mean as in what guides\tutorials\resources\articles did you reference) ?

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#13]
Tbh, It was mainly trial and error.

I have been doing it since the late 90's and before that I was an airbrush artist, so it kind of followed on naturally from that.

Using reference is essential really

EOF(Posted 2009) [#14]
I have not looked at the animation but I must say, your model would not look out of place in a game like GTA IV !

In other words, thumbs up from me on the quality of the model

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#15]
cheers jim. yeah this guy is going on sale when I finished him.

There will be no restriction in useage apart form reselling it as a model if you tweak it.

It will come with a walk run , swipe, die and idle

I am currently doing the LOD's and tweaking the skin weighting.

after this I will do a female spy or a swat team type character