Community Forums/Graphic Chat/elf- ish type thingy

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#1]
just watched my modo training videos again, playing about with a few ideas

i find modo great for painting

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
I like that!

What's "modo"?

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#3]
modo is a 3D modeling, 3D painting and rendering app, made by the same people that did lightwave,
its basicly the modeler Lightwave should have had,
its very good for modeling, unwrapping, painting & baking all your maps (normal, bump, AO & so on)

http://www.luxology.com/whatismodo

very cool app

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#4]
Very nice! I love yer style.

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#5]
cheers, getting better slowly

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#6]
Mailed you.

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#7]
Looks good, plenty of character. The face is a bit flat, though - it suffers from "hit in the face with a frying pan" syndrome.

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#8]
i think ive overblown the cheeks or its something to do with the cheeks

edit#

Matty(Posted 2009) [#9]
Looks good, although looks rather menacing, not the most friendly looking of faces.

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#10]
David-H:

Your original version was better than the edit, it looks even flatter now, I think.

I agree that the problem has something to do with the cheekbones. It seems to me that you're relying too much on using the front and side views in your modelling application.

What I mean is: an inexperienced modeller sometimes thinking of a model as a series of 2d slices - various fixed representations as displayed in the display windows of his modelling application. He works on getting the model to look right from one fixed angle and then he works on getting it looking right from another, and he is surprised when the resulting model looks "flat" from certain angles.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but it looks like it might be - it's something that you see a lot of from people who are learning how to use a modelling application by trying to model an organic shape.

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#11]
yeh Matty hes a bad elf thingy,

will see how it all looks when i get the body on

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#12]
It's really nice looking!

Jutst curious, but what's the poly count like? It looks to be quite high, very curvy and the details on the ears too -

Of course, it's purely an observation, and may not at all be relevant to your own requirements, but how would it compare to the count of character heads in typical games of today? (for example, FPS games, MMORPGs and beat-em-up games like the Tekken series)?

Part of the reason why I ask is because for a while, thecomplexity of a mesh was very important, but now, video card memory and speeds are much greater, and I'm not sure on what sorta ranges for such things re considered 'average' ;)

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#13]
yep the face is high poly at the moment, i will take a render and simply paint it on a low res version and if needed grab a normal map of it

im not sure myself what an average count is but i think under 5k for the whole thing is a good start

i will aim for about 800 tris on the head

similar to this guy at 3232 tris

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#14]
You've certainly made good use of the shading and textures to keep them looking smooth.

They have a lot of 'character' and I could certainly envisage that little guy with the gun being a memorable game character! :)

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#15]
I could certainly envisage that little guy with the gun being a memorable game character! :)

to be honest i think a games beyond me , i get stuck at just planning the thing...i think i will just stick to playing about, it keeps me out of the pub ;)

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#16]
just playing about with me Elf...hes now turned into a Battle Elf type thingy

Matty(Posted 2009) [#17]
Looks great. Very characterful.