folio update

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/folio update

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#1]
been messing around making a web page for myself at last

http://www.mikerusby.com/

Not quite finished, need to re render some of the images as they are rather old.

I can't show much any of my professional work due to NDA which is a shame

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
Good stuff. I like the Fidel Castro and Saddam models.

I've been learning to make models of heads myself recently and I'm finding the entire process agonising. There seems to be very few guides that talk you neatly through the process so I'm just doing the same thing over and over and hoping things improve. I don't know how anybody ever gets good at this stuff.

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#3]
yep i like the off beat stuff Fidel Castro and Saddam

nice work as always

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#4]
yeah GFK, the point it is agonising and people wonder why I get stressed:)

The only way is to practice all the time and I have been doing it since 1995.

Took me years to get any good, although I had already been doing

illustration for 7 years previous to that.

I just tend to muddle my way through models, mixing and matching

techniques as there is no definitive way to do stuff.

cheers David H, I might just do more hand drawn stuff as I like the look of it better.
They were done for the world leaders addon pack for 'The Ship'

Matty(Posted 2009) [#5]
GfK - heads / faces I find difficult as well but there is a good tutorial on the 3dtotal.com website - the "Joan of Arc" one which is available for a range of 3d packages.

Ruz - they look great. I'd love to be able to do that but I need a lot more practice.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#6]
Just looked at the Joan of Arc tutorial - seems to make the job much easier than sticking to the 'edge extrude' method.

For the record (and not for the thread hijack), here's my latest effort. Took me about four hours in total:

My main problem areas are the nose and chin. Also note that the ears are deliberately in shadow, because he doesn't have any.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
Good effort Dave. Looks very tribal looking, perhaps a figure to be worshipped. Egyptian maybe.

Awesome work Mike. Top quality stuff there man... You should get yourself a coder and have a shot at making another game :o)

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#8]
thast not a bad start GFk. My advice is to get good reference for side front and 3/4 views.

thats the only way to improve in my book, use the reference in the best way possible.
eyes should be set further back, chins too pointy and try ands lose the ridge in the middle of the head.

Rossc c, cheers man, would love to do some more indy stuff, but would also like to start a proper games company and make better money:0

Beaker(Posted 2009) [#9]
Ruz - awesome as usual.

GfK - not bad at all.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#10]
thast not a bad start GFk. My advice is to get good reference for side front and 3/4 views.
The trouble is, I haven't really found a good resource for reference images. The model above was done with a front reference image only, which I guess explains the eyes thing.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#11]
If you have access to any high poly humanoid models (such as in Poser or Daz Studio (which is free I think from memory) you could practice by taking renders of those models and using the images as a reference (can cheat a bit more too by combining with a wireframe mesh render)

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#12]
what I do is look for an actor who has a good face structure , then google him or getty images is pretty good normally,

I normally try to have at least a front and side view

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#13]
Nice stuff on your site, Ruz. And keep at it GFK, it's the only way to learn it.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#14]

been mucking around with this for a few days

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#15]
Impressive!

GfK(Posted 2009) [#16]
Its shaun bean!

Matty(Posted 2009) [#17]
Love the stubble.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#18]
Holy cow, batman. That's majorly impressive. You surely must be getting offers of employment from top people with that work...

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#19]
Great stuff. I particularly like the cartoony caricatures, and the Kim Jong-Il model most of all.

Jur(Posted 2009) [#20]
Top quality, no doubt. I believe your experiences in illustration played an important role to achieve this level of quality. The color maps are excellent.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#21]
Yes really cool! The only that's kinda off for me is the chin detail. The dump map just doesn't do it for me.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#22]
cheers guys( its meant to be sean bean BTW) -

Juro that true, I spent 7 years doing airbrush art before spending another 12 years doing this:)

Wiebo - yeah I will try and improve that, might just do some alpha stuff for

the beard hair

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#23]
Great work. Looks very much like Sean Bean. Impressive Portfolio. I wish I had the money to hire you.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#24]

HNPhan(Posted 2009) [#25]
Love ur stuff :D
with that oren-nayar bilnn shader ;)

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#26]
cheers jfk. yeah I can only take on larger commercial projects right now.
Its been quiet this year though so far:(

yeah that oren-nayar blinn shader shader is quite nice, but I wish I could somehow modify it a bit.

Shame I don't have the enthusiasm to learn how to make shaders properly

yup I used that photo too RifRaf. sean bean is quite tough to model actually.

Some faces look good in 3d and believe me he is a toughie to get right.
his face is a bit wonky overall.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#27]
Wow very impressive. I didn't know we had a pro artist among our ranks. Can you charge by the model?