Polymaniacs - new vehicle

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Polymaniacs - new vehicle

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#1]

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#2]
i like it. looks like the game is progressing well. what is the flying jumbo missile in the 2nd pic?? i don't remember that

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#3]
That's a tank shell.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#4]
ok, its kind of big though. its got to be one heck of a tank.

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#5]
It's close to the camera ya numpty!!

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#6]
lol sorry, my bad

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#7]
Still looking good. Reminds me of Tanktics (or Wild Metal Country, as it was known in some countries).

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#8]

It's close to the camera ya numpty!!

Thanks for that Stevie. Makes the place feel more homey.

Looking good. Do you have any planned date for a full playable version?

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#9]
@ Ross, no date - but it will be this year. I want to release one more demo for feedback before I make the final push.

My ambitions far outweigh the free time I have to work on this so I've had to trim down the number of minigames, levels, vehicles I'd originally planned etc..

I could use some modelling help right enough ;)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#10]
Oh right. What do you need?

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#11]
E-mail me mate.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#12]
Done

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#13]
Hehe that all looks so cute :)

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#14]
Reminds me of Tanktics (or Wild Metal Country, as it was known in some countries).

Wow I thought I was the only person that has ever played that game... loved Tanktics, and I agree there is a similarity.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#15]
Some Ambient Occlusion (in lightmaps, that is) would do wonders to this.

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#16]
@ Kyzon, not sure what you mean?

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#17]
Lightmapping the vehicles and Levels with a baked Global Illumination. You can see that by only giving the trees and vehicles that shadowy blurry sprite you give another level of "realism" (inside the world you created, that is).
Having Ambient Occlusion on that would give much more depth IMO.
Why don't you make a mock render of a scene but with GI and see how it feels?

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#18]
I'm using Blitz3d so this isn't an option. I'm also aiming for lowspec.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#19]
But who says lightmapped vehicles and levels are high-spec? it's just another texture applied to them, just on the second set of the texture.
EDIT: Blitz3D even has support for it (or there wouldn't be the amount of lightmapped games as there are).

Zeotrope(Posted 2009) [#20]
I think he is going for the retro look. I think realism isnt a factor and would ruin the look.

"Just because you can doesnt mean you should"

Good work! Simple n Fun.

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#21]
@ Kryzon, what would be the point of a lighmapped vehicle? When they start moving around this lightmap would have to be dynamic or it wouldn't look good. It would also spoil the flatshaded look which is what I'm sticking with. Blitz does not have support for Ambient Occlusion given that it's done with shaders.

Also, I don't use sprites for the shadows, one big texture for the static and one for the dynamic. I'm done with the shadow discussion though - it fits the game and it's as fast as is possible in Blitz.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#22]
Kryzon, what would be the point of a lightmapped vehicle?

I'm not going to answer that, seriously. We are talking about completely different things. I didn't even mention anything about shaders!

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#23]
I'm not going to answer that, seriously

Please do. Surely, said static lightmap would look wrong when then mesh is rotated?

We are talking about completely different things. I didn't even mention anything about shaders!

I miss read the AO statement and assumed you were talking about applying that as a post-render effect. Do you have an example of what you mean?

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#24]
Sure, no problem. What I meant is to have the Ambient occlusion\ Global Illumination Baked into your models from your modelling application (like 3DS Max, for example). These maps don't create shadows, they only darken the spots that are "well covered". That gives a greater realism (and they would work in Blitz3D because hardware lights would lit the textured polygons just as they should be, but the GI look would still be there).
Of course, it's a dramatic change of look, so you probably wouldn't wanna do this if you are heading towards the flat-shaded-only look.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#25]
Hey Steviwe, is it possible for anyone else to help with making levels?

MAYBE even the minigaems too, but I imagine the levels would be simpler for another person to bolt on?

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#26]
@ Kryson, ok - I get you - thanks. I don't use a modelling application and while I appreciate your input, I'm happy with the current look.

@ Malice, the level editor is not user friendly so needs a fair amount of work before I would allow anyone else to use it. Don't need help with the mini-games - thanks though.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#27]
Mailed you Stevie.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#28]
It all looks great.

Nice "Virtua Cop" style yellow target indicators! ;)

Are these homing missiles? I also remember, from a video, weapons that need to be hand-aimed, in such a way that you would need to aim ahead of a moving target to hit it. That can make for great gameplay I think. Homing missiles can also have that effect, especially if you are trying to avoid one, like for instance in Mario Kart! ;)

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#29]
Thanks. Yip, they are homing missiles. I've been tweaking the homing routines so that you can avoid them if you're skilled enough.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#30]
I think if done right polymaniacs could become a classic.. especially if it was somehow magically poted to xbox and wii :) all my friends love it and are asking for more (me included)

its an excelent piece of work. If any game needs to get finished its this one

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#31]
Did you get my Radar tower?