Horse model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Horse model

Drak(Posted 2009) [#1]
Here's a pic of a black horse I've been working on lately. It took me quite awhile to get the texture looking right but I'm pleased with the result. I'm hoping I can get a brown and also white horse off this texture by swapping colors out. This model contains 632 polygons or 1174 tris.

Basic model:

Trotting:

A few other blanket textures:

Matty(Posted 2009) [#2]
Very nice for so few polygons, however there is a visible ridge/seam along the nose, still very good looking horse.

Is it for your own personal use or are you releasing this to the community (for a price I would assume)?

Drak(Posted 2009) [#3]
This is for a medieval-themed game I'm working on. (no, it's not an rpg, either) It's just one of many in a long line of models to make. The horse itself didn't take that long to model but the texture was a pain. (first time I tried to uv something with 4 legs) If anyone wants the model (un-rigged and un-animated) they can have it but I don't think I'll include the texture with it.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#4]
..nice work man... i like it...

John Blackledge(Posted 2009) [#5]
Good stuff - will you be selling eventually?

big10p(Posted 2009) [#6]
Very good for low poly. Horses are notoriously difficult to draw well, so I'd image that applies to modelling them too. Well done.

Drak(Posted 2009) [#7]
Thanks guys. I thought it turned out really well, too. If anyone wants the base model, I think I'll post a link to it soon or email me and I'll send you a copy.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#8]
Oohh!

/me wants, please!

I tried modeling horses once... didn't get anywhere near this quality though :)

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#9]
Nice horsie *Arnold accent*

Needs a better saddle, looks like it just has a little carpet on it.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#10]
Needs a better saddle, looks like it just has a little carpet on it.
It is a saddle blanket.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#11]
Very nice indeed. I'd like to see a lighter texture, as that one's a bit dark for me, but the model looks excellent. Very impressive to have got the shapes so right in such a small number of polys.

I don't think it's supposed to be a saddle. I think it's a saddle cloth, and they are indeed as thin as that appears. I agree that it looks odd on a 3d model though. Perhaps a very small extrusion and bevel might do it.

Drak(Posted 2009) [#12]
Indeed the "blanket" is just that, a blanket. It wasn't supposed to be a saddle, but, maybe I'll add a seperate saddle mesh to it. As far as the dark texture goes, well, it is a black horse. :)

Drak(Posted 2009) [#13]
An update with brown texture:

And the model and white texture rendered in a Blitz3d program. Notice the visible seams do disappear within B3D. The rendering program made them more visible.

Drak(Posted 2009) [#14]
Here is a link to a .3ds file of the horse model. It is of course, untextured and unanimated.

http://www.mediafire.com/?njy2zxxmd0y

John Blackledge(Posted 2009) [#15]
Ah - unanimated....
Please animate it.
I'll wait here.

(Where is Puki, anyway?)