Sci-Fi models

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Sci-Fi models

_JIM(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hey guys!

Not quite an artist, but I made a bunch of models preparing for a FPS game. In the meantime I lost the will to make that game, due to it being quite a large project, and no time to work on it (got a job in the meantime as well).

On top of those, I lost the project files while formatting once and all I got is those screenshots and this: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-crate-box/399713

Here's the screenies:

Wireframes:

Any comments would be useful, but keep in mind I cannot edit those anymore. I really regret losing them, but I'm happy I learned a lot while making them.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#2]
i love the detail in the textures, they look excellent imo. i wish i had that talent.

shame about losing your work, but atleast you can take what you've learnt and probably increase your production rate now. anyway keep at it and gl oh and remember to make regular backups of your work ;-)

_JIM(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks for the appreciation!

I honestly don't think it's THAT much about talent. The way I work is: analyse whatever I see and I like, and divide stuff in simple rules.

For example, the textures for the models above were made this way:

1. Apply a base layer (should be anything less boring than a plain color)
2. A careful placing of dirt/scratch (dirt in closed areas - also acts as a hand-painted Ambient Occlusion :D , and scratches on edges basically)
3. Add whatever details spring to mind (bolts, ligths, letters, ID numbers, etc.)
4. Add finer details like barely visible scratches, color tints (rust for ex.), leaks, etc.

And that's it. Now it's just a matter of knowing what buttons to press to complete those steps :)

And yes, lately I back up my work in 3-4 places (external HDD, USB Stick, internet, second HDD and occasionally the workplace PC).

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#4]
Nice artwork JIM :)
Good to have you around the forums now

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#5]
parts of the pipes are a bit too wet looking
but the flaky paint is superb
making something is one thing
making it look used is another

shame to hear about the loss of the work though
back up back up and back up again, like you are doing now to anything that will save it and if you have a 'classic' ipod back up to that too* ... all my bass sound scapes and vocal rants end up on there as playable synced songs and in a folder

id endorse other hdd based mp3 players too if i knew any to name

_JIM(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thank you for the comments. I know about the wet paint, but I thought it looked cool :)

Forgot to mention that those are screenshots, not renders. All the sexy effects are made by shaders (actually just one shader with different textures)

I'll make some new models soon, but this time medieval/fantasy and I WILL MAKE BACKUPS :D

Mustang(Posted 2008) [#7]
analyse whatever I see and I like, and divide stuff in simple rules

= Good 3D artist.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#8]
Looks good!

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#9]

I honestly don't think it's THAT much about talent

don't cut yourself short, even following your basic guide lines, not just anyone can take an idea and make it look good. it still takes talent, and that my friend you seem to have.

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#10]
nice work, great textures

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#11]
Love it!

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#12]
I like those! I'm terrible at texturing, I would love to learn how but I'd need photoshop which is like 1000$ :(

_JIM(Posted 2008) [#13]
I like those! I'm terrible at texturing, I would love to learn how but I'd need photoshop which is like 1000$ :(

I'm lucky I won mine at a contest. Now I'm thinking about upgrading to CS4, but even the upgrade is expensive.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#14]
Yeah I remeber the contest :) You are really lucky!

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#15]
There's also Adobe Photoshop Elements... only like 40$..

Mustang(Posted 2008) [#16]
only like 40$

I'm tempted to say that the value for texture artist is also $40 vs $1000... Elements is good for minor digi-photo editing and fiddling around but it's not geared for 3D texture artists at all. Better than MS Paint but not much.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#17]
You can always use GIMP. It's not as good as Photoshop but it's free and opensource.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#18]
gimp kinda sucks :(

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#19]
There is also Paint.net