WW1 Truck (german opel regellaster)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/WW1 Truck (german opel regellaster)

Sung(Posted 2008) [#1]
I want to show my low poly model of a ww1 truck. 640 polys with a 256 x 256 *.bmp texture for a game project.
What do you think?
Rendered in b3d

Billp(Posted 2008) [#2]
Nice I am interested in WWI myself and have modeled a few aircraft, have you done anything else ?

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#3]
Looks nice :)

Sung(Posted 2008) [#4]
Edit:

for the project i made several WW1 airplanes, like that...

..and a lot of other stuff :-)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hi Sung!

At the first look it is nice, but i think with more details looks better, because at the moment this truck is to low. I`m suprise that this model have 640 polys. Hmm...at the texture need more details too. But one in all a good beginning.

Regards
Blitzblaster

Sung(Posted 2008) [#6]
hi blitzblaster,

two things, why you are surprise about the poly count? I have made the model first with 368 polys without modeled tires. This model has real 3d tires.
Second, what did you mean with "one in all a good beginning"? I'm not a beginner in 3D ;-)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#7]
Sung, the models are beginner standarts, but don`t get angry about that. The reason is simple, look at high professionals or AAA Games, than you know what i mean. I`m a jr. artist too and i see no problem with that.

Mustang(Posted 2008) [#8]
I think these models are very nice - for the game style and complexity they're obviously designed for, meaning low polycount and small textures. Look is very consistent and balanced.

Yes, they're not Triple-A class but Blitz3D isn't either. Models are perfect for DX7 tech and keeping them simple makes finishing the game itself possible. "One man teams" can only do so much (little)... starting with super perfect hi-poly left foot boot is a sure way to kill your project.

Hobbyist game coders/artists just can't compete with Triple-A game content, scale and tech, so it's a wise choice not to even try. Porsche is a better car than Volkswagen but surprisingly many people choose Volkswagen over Porsche and are perfectly happy (Porsche owns big chunk of VW so in theory they are driving Porsches...? :)).

And Blitzblaster, your own models (for sale) are less convincing even if they claim to have more polys, bigger maps and whatnot...

Matty(Posted 2008) [#9]
I like the ww1 truck. What's your game about?

Sung(Posted 2008) [#10]
@Mustang
grateful for the good explanation.
I think Blitzblaster can not yet distinguish between what is possible and what is needed. BlitzBasic sets limits and this is not a disadvantage.

@Matty
We are working on an action flight simulation.

The problem is the mass of objects.
Landscape, houses, plants, vehicles, weapons and aircraft. I would like to add more in low poly, but then suffers the look really.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#11]
@Mustang, the reason was, that he wrote that he is not a beginner, so my own question was after that, what he is. And i see a very lowpoly truck with a blury texture and a plaint with blury texture`s too. This is for me a beginner 3D artist, sorry.

@Sung, when you have other models with better textures, so you can show me, but at the moment there is all beginner models, so sorry.

But it is ok, when other people like that for a game, that it is ok, no problem.

Sung(Posted 2008) [#12]
@blitzblaster
How would you describe this?

(Screenshot from Madoxx Games - Ubisoft IL-2 Pacific Fighters)

sorry for this, but i think you understand nothing.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#13]
I have no modelling experience, but I think they look better than a lot of stuff that pops up in here. Again, this is just from a 'spectator' viewpoint.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so lets just leave it at that and prevent another locked thread. One upping on each other does nothing ;)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#14]
Yes Sauer, we talk to many offtopic.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#15]
some times we need to try low polly and limited texture map sizes, just to keep ourselves level (i paraphrased from reading that low polly boss competition)

yes the model could do with a 1024 texture map and more pollygons to make it more 'up to date', but at what size will it appear on screen?
far away from an air crafts POV or up close and personal FPS
for far away low polly is best
and as we are working within the confines of DX7 and not DX10, well ...

ages ago when the starwars .x website was around someone here made asteroids using a tie fighter model and full sized texture and displayed it no larger than 64*64 pixels thus rendering the detailed texture to nothing more than a newscasters plaid jacket strobing on the screen

Sung(Posted 2008) [#16]
@blitzblaster

the model above is not mine. It is a screenshot of the 2years old Ubisofts IL-2 Pacific Fighters (in game). Sales figures are quoted as over 650,000 units in Russia, and over 600,000 additional units in the rest of the world.....

What will i say? It is not a problem to make a high poly model. The art is to make it fit in the game.

If you think I'm a beginner because I show here low poly models, then it should be this way. My models are at least now and then in games again.

940 poly, texture 512x512 *.jpg

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#17]
I think we can stop the talk about your models.
Do you have a homepage with all your models?

Sung(Posted 2008) [#18]
no.

Loktar(Posted 2008) [#19]
I like seeing them personally, as this is the graphics section. Nice job wish I had the talent to model like that maybe Id complete a game or two :P

ragtag(Posted 2008) [#20]
I think the models look very nice. They are also very professional, within the constraints they are made (very few polys and low-res textures). I guess they would be just right for a flight sim.

I love WWI themed games, but there are not very many of them.

Blitzblaster: They are not at all like newb models. Newbs tend to make models with WAY too many polys and huge textures, that may look nice, but are useless for games (and often useless for rigging, animation and rendering too). :)

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#21]
good models

Defoc8(Posted 2008) [#22]
very low poly dx7 content - great for rts stuff :) - i think maybe
- personally i like the texturing and models..not too busy, and look to
be well thought out..at a distnace the missing detail isnt an issue.

blitzblaster is being a little critical....as an artist, you tend to be
given a brief - design this/that, given these limitations/restrictions..
taking into account that the game may be rts + perhaps targeted at older
systems...the limitations might be quite severe..

anyway - love the work + goodluck :)

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2008) [#23]
These are not bad, so they are good to be show. In any case better than most other "Sprites"

I think the models are not final at all. They can be empowered ...

... to use GPU/CPU-Curving.

... to use Shader-Maps.

... to use better Textures.

Hey... These properties are vital for use in Blitz3D and other 3D Engines. Without them, every Mesh/Texture will look a little bit foolish ..... ... today.

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#24]
I really like them, particularly the truck. :) Reminds me of early "Day of Defeat" versions (but better).

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#25]
I like them quite a bit myself. Especially the truck.