My First 3D Models

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My First 3D Models

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#1]
First of all I would like to point out that I am a programmer, not a modeler:) The house textures are not mine, and credit to whoever made them.

Ok then here they are:

First Attempt - A small cabin-like house

A little 1-handed sword

Shield of Awesomeness

Criticism wanted, I want to improve this skill so I don't have to depend on modelers to create a 3D game.

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#2]
IMHO, for your first models, they look good. I am sure many will offer constructive comments to help you improve, but these are a good start.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#3]
Appreciate the comment GaryV. Yeah I am hoping to get some constructive comments so I can improve on it.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
Forget the last two models.

Concentrate on the house. Strip it of its textures and work on your modelling skills first. Texturing is an entire different ballgame.

Give it a roof, a proper door, some windows, maybe add a chimney. It doesn't look like a house yet - it looks like a box with a hole in.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#5]
@Gfk:

Box with a hole in it:D great stuff - Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely work on the house more then.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#6]
My advice is to use some tutorials (especialy about lowpoly modeling).
I remember www.3dtotal.com had some good tutorials.

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#7]
The biggest advice I can offer is to try and reduce your poly count. There are a ton of polys on that house that are not needed.

Here is a simple version that should look the same. Even this version could be reduced, but you get the idea.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#8]
I agree with what Pongo said, I would suggest you wait to texture anything until you're GOOD at modeling. Texturing makes modeling less fun and less artistic unless you already have a very good feel on modeling.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#9]
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. I put the textures in on the house to test something for a program. No more textures for me:)

grindalf(Posted 2008) [#10]
I would suggest useing a photo of a real house as a refrence and try to build it exactly like it.
untill recently I just made my house's from imagination and they kinda sucked, but after looking at some pictures of houses it gave me a much better idea of what was needed to make it look good.