Frank'n'steyn

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Frank'n'steyn

Klaas(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi there!

Just some wip charactermodel. I'm doing this currently for my new job as teacher in a gamedesign-school here in germany.

Would like to here some critical reviews to improve myself!
thx!

KillerX(Posted 2008) [#2]
The elbows are too small.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#3]
It is a great model.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#4]
I really like it! I know it's WIP, but here's some comments anyway...

The body's great.. love that posture.
Franky's bolts are usually in his neck, unless thats a bad pair of sideburns?
I don't like the eyebrows.
The nose... there's nothing at all wrong with the modelling of it, but something a bit sharper may fit the character a bit better.. I don't know.

Great stuff

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
Nice style! He looks sad :P

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#6]
looks good, nice face shot

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#7]
Looks great!

Only suggestion for improvement would be to move the bolts down to his neck, that's where they're usually at.

Derron(Posted 2008) [#8]
Hmm you want critic:

- resize the boots, atm it looks like the boots of 14yrs girlies of the 90s (will explain it in German afterwards, because threadstarter is German.

- make pants a bit longer - or style it the way you can see the socks. If you don't intend to do have it look this way make the pants longer.

- although I myself won't prefer the look of "shrek"-ears it seems to fit to the character

- shorten the finger a bit, although thats also only a personal opinion (too long compared to rest of the arms)

- like mentioned by John Galt, the eyebows needs a overhaul - maybe you even don't need them (its no real human ;D).

- and as the last spot, the whole face looks hmm "dead", there is no real life in it - maybe you should rework the gesture your frank is posted in normal pose :
- rework nose (more depth, nostrils - but not detailed)
- rework mouth-area (more depth for lips)
- rework eyelids (looking kind of plastic)
- those lines over the eyebows (dunno the word in English) look painted (because of WIP?)

Else, nice start for a wip, I myself hate organic modeling (unwanted triangles etc.).

--------
Ok kurz einiges auf deutsch:
Die Schuhe wirken wie die Girlie-Boots (Plateauschuhe) aus den 90ern - wenn nicht beabsichtigt, wirkt es evtl unbeabsichtigt komisch.
Die Finger sind etwas zu lang, verglichen mit dem Restarm - aber das ist nur eine Stylefrage.
Das Gesicht wirkt leblos, die Augenbrauen etwas "aufgeklebt", die Nase benötigt mehr Tiefe bzw. Details (Poren, Ansätze von Nasenflügeln/-Löchern etc.). Die Mundpartie braucht ebenfalls Tiefe, evtl mehr Lippendetails. Die Stirnfalten sind momentan scheinbar noch per Texturaufgebracht (im Gitterbild keine Details zu erkennen), diese evtl plastisch modellieren. Der momentane Gesamteindruck des Gesichtes passt nicht zur "frischen" Frisur - diese ist peppig, der Gesichtsausdruck wie schon gesagt leblos, traurig.

Meine Kritik bitte nur als solche auffassen, Kritik ist immerhin immer persoenliche Ansichtssache.

bye MB

therevills(Posted 2008) [#9]
Hey Klass, good job!

What did you make Frank'n'steyn in?

Taron(Posted 2008) [#10]
VERY CUTE! Nice presentation, too! 8}

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#11]
To those of you who have suggested proportional corrections (elbows too small, fingers too long in proportion to the rest of the arm, etc), you do realise that Frankenstein's monster is supposed to be made from the stitched together parts of dead people, right?

I'd make the limbs even more mismatched and disproportional than they currently are.

This model is wonderful.

Derron(Posted 2008) [#12]
Yes but you will have to remember that only parts who are stitched together should have another proportion than the rest - so if only the fingers are too long, one missed to resize the rest of the hand too.

bye MB

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#13]
@JustLuke: I agree

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#14]
this looks cool to me..good work if u ask me..

Klaas(Posted 2008) [#15]
Thanks a lot!

The boots should be that heavy ... thats part of the style i've tried to accomplish. I've had a alternative design with the bolts in the neck but someone else said i should put them there. Well, i will see. The eyebrows and eyelids currently are very simple. This is just because this model is a charakter reference for my students and should be easy to animate. Also this is the reason for some extreme sizes of bodyparts (fingers). It works better to show what its all about when building a rigg.

I totally agree to ... the elbows do need some work. The nose could need some more details. Hair and eyebrows can be much better.

I hope i find the time to fix this soon.

Thanks again!

Edit:
Its all done in 3DS Max, build from a box. Took about 6 hours from scribble to this state.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#16]
I like the big hands and the big boots... hell bigger hands would look even better IMO. If you make just one change, just move that bolt back to the neck. It looks seriously odd where it is.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#17]
I like it generally, but the bolts should be on the neck, not the sides of his head.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#18]
Looks professional!

+1 on the bolts being on the neck.

Matty(Posted 2008) [#19]
He's got the neck of a rugby player, so I'm not too sure where he'd fit the bolts...looks good.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#20]
Nice!

I agree about the bolts - they should be in the neck, and I also agree that the trousers (aka pants) are too short, they just need to cover a bit more of those boots I think.

I think it would also help to add some extra modelling detail to the stitches - they're very flat right now, although not sure level of detail you're aiming for.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#21]
I'm sure Frankenstein from the old b-movies used to have half-mast trousers, too?

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#22]
if the bolts were eletrical conductors to the brain then the neck isnt the best place unlike the temples were they are now ;)

the face shot makes it look like someone just kneed him in the groin (if he had anything stitched on inbetween his legs that is)

frankenstiens monster doesnt have to look like the 'universal monsters' every time, nore does dracula have to look like bela legowotsname or borris carlov

big10p(Posted 2008) [#23]
Great model. You dont have to conform entirely to the stereotypical image of Frankenstein. Artistic licence is good. :)

Ryudin(Posted 2008) [#24]
looks like he should be doing the wave ^_^

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#25]
nice