Fantasy house model for sale with full IP rights

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Fantasy house model for sale with full IP rights

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi. This is an untextured fantasy house model made in Wings3D, which I'm putting up for sale.

I'm selling this model with full and exclusive IP rights. I will be giving up all IP rights to the buyer and will no longer own any rights to the model.

The price is: $40

The model is hierarchial; with the house, doorway, windows, and horned props as separate entities organized in a parent-child relationship. The windows and doorway have an interior backing to allow window frames and doors to be textured onto them, without the need to texture onto the wall behind them instead. This also allows for the doorway to act as a clickable trigger to portal the player into an interior area.

The house does not come with an interior. The buyer could easily create an interior using a 3D box primitive.

Total triangle count is: 2198

The buyer will get the Wings3D model file, plus a 3ds version. No texturing or UV mapping work has been done on the model.

If the buyer needs more work done in the same style, I'm happy to do the work at a similar price.

If you need any more details regarding the model, let me know.

For purchasing or enquiries, I can be contacted at: http://realmsmith.com/contact.html

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#2]
You've got the beginnings of an interesting basic house model here but the comments that you're going to receive are the same ones that you're receiving on your robot thread: if you want to sell your models then you should at least UV map and texture them.

Look, it would take an unscrupulous person with a fair grasp of basic modelling techniques about ten minutes (using your screenshots as references) to replicate this model. A more honest person with similar skills could create an original equivalent from scratch in a similar space of time. For these reasons, no one in their right mind is going to pay $40 for your building. This is not what you want to hear, I know - but it's the truth.

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#3]
Fair enough. I'll have a go at UV mapping and texturing it.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#4]
Ya, at a price of 40$, I think you'll find it difficult to find a buyer, even if it's textured. No offense, but it's not a very complex or difficult model, I could probably make that in 5 minutes...

If you want to sell models, sell them CHEAP, like VERY cheap.

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#5]
I suggest you do a little marketing research. There are numerous affordable model packs available.

These packs consist of fully finished and animated models build to form a theme. Those packs can be around the price you ask for just this one unfinished model.

Don't want to demotivate you, and there is most definitely a buck to be made from models, but you have to rethink your strategy.

Good luck though!

lo-tekk(Posted 2008) [#6]
Yeah, have a look at http://www.dexsoft-games.com .A complete pack with 58 models for just 29.99 EUR

Defoc8(Posted 2008) [#7]
ok - well, i reckon u guys are being a little harsh. typically when you buy
a content pack, you are buying the right to use content - you dont own it.
he is selling exclusive rights to his work - which technically means you
are entitled to sell it as part of a content pack.. heh, something i wouldnt
do with my own artwork..

$40 is nothing...

having said that - the model isnt that great .. so at least unwrapping the model
+ supplying a simple map to show that the uv layout is efficient - might
help..

i wouldnt give the rights away for one of my sketches..let alone
anything that can be used in a more directly commercial way - well not
without a decent amount cash being offered..

goodluck with your artwork + keep up the good work...

gburgess(Posted 2008) [#8]
$40 is nothing...

On it's own, no. But if you need this house, you probably also need at least ten other models of similar quality. That's $440. And they still all need texturing.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#9]
There are a lot of free models of this quality in TurboSquid.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#10]
Might be a better biz model to license the model to developers for say 5.00. Chances are you might get at least 10 devs, and that's 50.00 compared to 40? ? ?

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#11]
Heh I was tring to sell a complete house textued with interior lowpoly well optimized with 15$ :))

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#12]
ok - well, i reckon u guys are being a little harsh.

They're being realistic, and we should be glad that there are people willing to offer that advice instead of just letting him go and sell nothing.

the model isnt that great ..

Ok, now who's being harsh?

Defoc8(Posted 2008) [#13]
[Realistic?]
All i meant was that for full ownership of content - with rights to
resell the content as part of a pack, more than makes up for the price..
I was simply pointing out to the others,that full ownership of any artwork is usually considerably more expensive.
Content packs typically have limitations on usage + may exist in several
projects..you have restricted rights to use, you dont own the content.

At no point, did i say this was the best route for him to take.. infact,
i believe it would be commercially pointless in this case..

[Harsh?]
I didnt say the model was bad - jst that it wasnt great. This isnt harsh.
I made suggestions for improvement.. i was trying to help.

heh, im amused by the fact this has caused you offense...

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#14]
All right kids, settle down.

I probably shouldn't have put this model up for sale in an incomplete state (or at all, considering the current sad state of my artistic skills). I was strapped for cash at the time and was curious as to whether it was viable to spend a few hours creating a basic model, and then sell the IP to someone wishing to develop it further; but clearly that's not the case. In hindsight I can see that it was never going to be a good idea.

I'll probably put this model and a few others up as free downloads for anyone who wants them.