An alien

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/An alien

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi guys! This is my first post with something that actually looks good here! This character (yet to be named) is for the game Second Threat (it's indie, so you wouldn't know it). Low poly he's around 3.4k polys (not sure). Currently, I'm having issues (tons of them) on projecting my details onto my low-res retopologized mesh. The concept isn't mine, but I changed it up a bit. The first image is the initial body sculpt without armor, I took it as a chance to do an alien anatomy exercise (I focused on making realistic muscleture and bone structure). The second, is where it is currently, I've added armor and colored him up. He's currently 1.2M polys (will be lower when I finally figure out how to project the detail). So, here you go!

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#2]
Nice. Although the head does look a lot like a recent doctor who baddie, the half human darlek fellow, can't recall his name.

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#3]
love that armor, nice work

i would be tempted to make the hands bigger (oversize), just seems to cry out for it somehow, unless thats just me being weird

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
Looks OK, cept the legs.

If he was real he'd fall flat on his face.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#5]
Nice. Although the head does look a lot like a recent doctor who baddie, the half human darlek fellow, can't recall his name.

dalek sek hybrid

and recent ?!? that was at the beginning of series 3 and weve long since waved 4 (and donna nobel) bye bye

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#6]
dona nobel has left the library? dona nobel has been saved?

GAH!

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#7]
Good work apart from the legs. Looks far too unstable.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#8]
it's just that it's in a davinci pose that makes it look unstable.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#9]
Zbrush is perfect for low poly + normal map modelling.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#10]
I heart Zbrush, but it's got this NASTY habit of crashing. It needn't have a reason, zbrush will simply crash.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#11]
I didn't get any crash with the version 3.1 but the older versions were crashing a lot.

maximo(Posted 2008) [#12]
he looks weak and geeky, give him some warrior features not this zombie monster look with pushover physic ;) Make his face and head more simetrical, make it more itneresting, right now it looks as someone puked on his face and it burned out. Make him mean and not the laughing stock. Right now he is not even scary! ;)

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#13]
It's the pose I tells ya!

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#14]
Hmm. I'm sure that it will look better in a non-neutral pose but, still, I just don't think that the style of legs that you've chosen fits the character. Other than that, it's a great model.

Since the model is quite Cthulhu-ish, perhaps something more tentacle-y below the waist (ooh-er!) or snake-y (double ooh-er!) would look better.