Tommy promo stuff

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Tommy promo stuff

Hujiklo(Posted 2008) [#1]
Been thinking about making a CD cover or some sort of promo image for Tommy Tronic. The game takes Tommy through a dangerous wooded area called Gnarly wood with some pretty weird stuff going on inside it.

My son thinks any promo stuff for the game should have Tommy in it - he's probably right, but I always like more ambiguous and suggestive stuff than right 'in your face'.

I've already sketched another pic with Tommy facing a horde of misshapen mutants and will post that later I suppose.

Anyhow - what about this one?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Your son is right, imho.

I don't like the font at the bottom-right. Doesn't seem to fit right...

You should also design for DVD style cases rather than CD, since that's typically what you'd see PC games packaged in on a store shelf.

Hujiklo(Posted 2008) [#3]
yep - it's clippable proportion-wise and the font is just any font...but yeh looking at it just now I'm already going to can it...I'll find some other home for it.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#4]
get rid of the green grass and do it all dark blue, with a few light blue blades of grass. Grass isn't usually that colour at night

Hujiklo(Posted 2008) [#5]
It's not green grass :)
It's supposed to be like an eerie toxic marsh gas - I may have blurred it too much, but green purple or red, you don't really get trees like that at night either! I'll work on those vapours to make it more obvious without over-doing it.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#6]
Boomboom's advice is still sound, the vapours would look better if they were dark blue.

Your son's (And GfK's) advice is good too. Perhaps you could show Tommy Tronic peering about suspiciously with his back to the trees. You know, in a pantomime "it's behind you!" sort of way.

Very nice Halloween trees, by the way. :)

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#7]
Nice artwork! Same points as the above though, apart from i think you should crop it to just below the trees.

Hujiklo(Posted 2008) [#8]
Well - I re-worked the marsh gas and popped on a few small screenshots. It seems to work well as a background at least - it doesn't fight with the thumbnails. It's got potential - I'll hold on to it for now I think.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#9]
From what I've seen the front of the dvd/cd case doesn't have screenshots on it( Just a thought )

Hujiklo(Posted 2008) [#10]
Well - it's not set in stone. It's simply a background to work some ideas onto. It will probably just end up on the web-page somewhere.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#11]
Much better. :)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#12]
I'd lose the two screenshots, and put the game's central character there (head/shoulders), looking full of e-numbers and menace.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#13]
Yeah the marsh gas in the second shot is a world of improvement, but:

1. Lose the screenshots, they kill the atmos.
2. This sounds pedantic, but try putting 'If you go into the woods tonight' on one line.
3. Try doing a VERY mild blur on the Tommy logo just to take the edge off a bit.

I'm going to go against the concensus and say I prefer the way you have it. Sticking Tommy in would spoil the composition, IMO.

Looks really professional. Well done!

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#14]
What GFK said.

The trees and general atmosphere look very nice, though. the blue swampgas is definitely an improvement over the green version.

EOF(Posted 2008) [#15]
Had to laugh at the moons 'nose' !! .. Hidden art? heehee

Ked(Posted 2008) [#16]
Why did you change the images?

Baystep Productions(Posted 2008) [#17]
Uh. I love projects, if you got time and patience you can send me some of these awesome sketches and I could re-create them in awesome illustrator/photoshop.

Being a graphic designer and all.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#18]
Uh. I love projects, if you got time and patience you can send me some of these awesome sketches and I could re-create them in awesome illustrator/photoshop.
He's changed the images. The original ones were a million times better than these.