A couple of character models

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/A couple of character models

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#1]
Here are a couple of character models that I've made in the last few weeks.

This first one is a (so far unfinished) piece of concept art - "if there was a Quest for Glory game with an east asian setting, what would its young hero look like?"

This next character is Cornelius Glory, scientist, poet, and gentleman explorer. He's the protagonist in a point and click adventure game concept that I'd like to turn into an actual game:

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looking great.

Post some tutorials, please. I can fumble my way through most modelling tasks but I'm utterly hopeless at people.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#3]
Nice characters. I didn't like the hair on Cornelius though, it looks like Play Doh.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#4]
GfK wrote:
Post some tutorials, please. I can fumble my way through most modelling tasks but I'm utterly hopeless at people.

Hmm, I'm not really a good person to ask. I'm self-taught, so I don't really know the correct terms and definitions for things. Through trial and error and practice, I've slowly improved. You don't want to see my failed attempts - I've created enough malformed humans in my time to fill a freaks circus!

I always keep my best models, though, and now I have a folder containing useful stuff that I can reuse and modify. Both of the above characters feature torsos that are derived from the same simple base mesh. They look very different, but they actually have a lot in common with each other. Take the faces, for example: they feature seperately modelled noses, but other than that they share the same mesh, with vertices massaged to give them unique proportions. This is a great cheaty time-saver for me. Of course, this too requires trial and error and pracice. There's just no way around it!

Mortiis wrote:
I didn't like the hair on Cornelius though, it looks like Play Doh.

Fair enough. The boy looks like he's wearing a bunch of bananas on his head too. But, anyway, I'm quite pleased you said that, because that's kind of the look that I hoped to achieve. :)

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#5]
The boy looks like he's wearing a bunch of bananas on his head

LOL!

I sent it earlier but http://www.montagestudio.org has great tutorials.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#6]
I like them. :)

Dunno about the pink jacket though, i think white would look better

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#7]
The second guy's head looks a bit big but I can also understand if thats the look you are going for, as cartoony people usually have larger heads.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#8]
looks like mcgann's doctor who ;)
aye playdoh and banannas are good descriptions for the hair styles
but who am i to judge, i cant draw stickfigures

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#9]
nice style..victorianesq

the guy needs a pocket watch & chain

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#10]
A small update - an environment/lighting/mood test. I'm trying to get the right "feel" for Cornelius's drawing room here, which will eventually resemble a cross between a Victorian drawing room with steampunk trimmings and the TARDIS from Doctor Who. I've not had much time to work on it.

Chad(Posted 2008) [#11]
Wow, I like the look of that =)

As seems everyone else, humans seem to be my Achille's heel when it comes to modelling.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#12]
just wholesale rip off the tv movie mgan(sp) dr who iir it was victorian/steam punk compared to the corral of the current run
just dont have any references to the tardis console or police boxes ;)

mind you reading the dr who wiki pages hints that his doctor would have been involved in the time war so get your moddeling arse over to the bbc and pitch out some ideas

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#13]
sergeant pepper and a young ken dodd.:)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#14]
my good golly gad that is bloody impressive looking work. The shadows associated with the hands is impressive (;-)