The Druidess (contains cartoon nudity)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/The Druidess (contains cartoon nudity)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#1]

Tools used: GIMP V2 with tablet.
Orig res: 1280x1024
Colors: 24bit
Layers: 8

A little something i was working on over the weekend, intended to boost the 'atmospheric art' resources for my eternally "on the cards" RPG.
She will eventually have clothes but i thought i'd show it as WIP. I tried to stick with the techniques i used years ago in DP2 (using mosly 'hard' brushes and smudges for detail)

Its the first time i have tried to draw a body so i hope i have got it right. -Unfortunately my judgement is fried from being zoomed in to it for too long :D.

Pre critique versions:
with lightning: http://www.d-grafix.com/temp/druidess.png?

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looks a bit "Edward Munsch". The lightning looks rubbish though. Spoils it.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#3]
More like this maybe? (lightning layer removed)

Edward Munsch
Lol, i cant decide weather thats good or bad, i do like Munsch but wasn't quite the effect i was going for :D

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#4]
Hey really good. To be very picky, I would say the bottom of the face (the cheeks) needs a little reshaping. It's a bit too triangular at the moment.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#5]
Better without lightning, too melodramatic. I didn't know you were an artist Dan.

Critique: I love your sky and hills, the grass and foggy foreground are also great. The rocks are ok but I just can't think of any rocks that look like that, maybe they're too brown. The woman is good but she needs some knees and her face could do with a reshaping.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#6]
More like this maybe? (lightning layer removed)
Yeah, better!

I would say the bottom of the face (the cheeks) needs a little reshaping. It's a bit too triangular at the moment.
I disagree. That's what gives it its uniqueness.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#7]
thats pretty good,
if that was in a game I was playing it would make it look professional

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#8]
Thanks, yes i agree shee kneeds nees :)
I wanted to give her a kind of 'arcane' look, almost 'elf-like' which is the reason for the slim cheeks.
The rocks are a bit red i think now, i may make them more greyish. I was trying to aim for a cartoon version of the types of stone used in obelisks across europe. Here is an example of the ones in Carnac:

I may make some of them more squarish and less turd shaped though :D

Matty(Posted 2008) [#9]
I like it although I have no idea how people paint fog and other misty cloud like effects in 2d.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#10]
Nice picture, although my girlfriend called me pervert when she saw me open the post.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#11]
@matty, just use the air or paintbrush with soft edges and a low opacity and wave it back and forth (use a selection mask if it needs to go 'behind' something :)

@andy: Busted! LOL :D

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#12]
BOOBIES!!!

markcw(Posted 2008) [#13]
> Nice picture, although my girlfriend called me pervert when she saw me open the post.

Lol, blame Dan. :)

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#14]
just by putting "nudity" in your title you must get 200% more views.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#15]
Hi D4NM4N.
I am suspecting that you like Gimp much more than Photoshop? ;)

big10p(Posted 2008) [#16]
Great pic (the knee issue accepted). Bags of atmosphere. Well done.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#17]
I am suspecting that you like Gimp much more than Photoshop? ;)
Its not so much a matter of preference, its a matter of how much i want to pay and tools i actually use. If photoshop was available for linux i -might- buy it, but i cant really see myself being any 'better/worse' with it. :)

just by putting "nudity" in your title you must get 200% more views.
;D
lol, its a case of dammed if you do and dammed if you dont.

@big10p, thanks, im gonna revisit the knees when i get 5 minutes peace.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#18]
If you put some clothes on her she wouldn't need nees. :)