New level, WIP

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/New level, WIP

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
..new stuff from me...just finished level..i hope you like it..critics are welcome..

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looks OK but way too many effects. Its playing merry hell with my eyeballs.

Just because you *can* do effects like that, doesn't mean you should. Less is more.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#3]
Not bad but I feel like myopic.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#4]
Me too. Plays havoc with my eyes. It feels like the point of focus is about a foot in front of my monitor screen. I keep blinking and trying to refocus. The wood texture seems to be way too grainy too.

Other than that, it's ok - perhaps a bit too much "Ewok Village", but if that's the look that you were shooting for, good job.

Seriously: fix that Depth of Field issue.

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#5]
I like it as it is. Good job. What is it running in?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#6]
I like it, but the DOF is way too strong. I agree that the wood is too grainy, your bloom (particularly the 'reflective' bloom, such as on the skulls near a torch) is also far too exaggerated (bloom + DOF = ack!). Generally, bloom only occurs on highly reflective surfaces (directly reflecting a light source), or a light source, meaning a dried out skull will almost never create bloom.

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#7]
NA

Love the colour scheme - excellent contrast between the dank, mysterious swamp and (lit) areas of interest.

Agree with the comments about the DOF, graininess - although it's difficult to get a full understanding without a demo (hint). If it's a dreamsequence or something along those lines, then the heavy DOF may be ok? Difficult to know.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#8]
I like the DOF, not a fan of the bloom though.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#9]
the problem is that the DOF is messing with the bloom (or the other way around, I think if the bloom and DOF were turned down (particularly the bloom), it would look much better.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2008) [#10]
same here. less is more. but the style is nice. i like it, just turn down dof and bloom and it will look much cleaner. its too blurry at the moment imho.

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#11]
Naughty,

I'm with Beaker - it looks fantastic dude. Congratulations!

I love the effects, love the colouring, love the bloom, love the DOF, love the detail you have put in here.

I especially love such things as the way you have not just used a single tree model to populate your level, like so many others do, but instead used a variety of sizes, shapes and types. The positioning and differences gives a grand sense of scale. The lighting provides excellent atmosphere and interest. I particularly like the sun beams cutting through, in the background and the brightness beyond which provides a superb backdrop.

The scene 'feels' a bit like a rainforest around 5:15pm - "after the rains". The water is very nice too. The particle fires also look nicely crafted and the straw/twig hut tops and embelishments make a nice throw away detail. The single strands of vegetation hanging in from the trees adds detail to the scene in such a way as to make it quite different to other offerings you often see on these forums.

Light mapping is very nice too.

Overall there is an immense amount of detailed thought and work gone into this design, stuff which lifts it way above the average regularily offered in the gallery.

I think that the only thing which I feel needs attention is the little ladder/steps in the last shot, its a little too neat - it needs to be either more rickety as a wooden ladder or somehow a bit more 'home made' looking maybe.

I would love to see this moving - it stirs the imagination quite a lot as it is.

Great work!

IPete2.

MikhailV(Posted 2008) [#12]
Cool !!!

_33(Posted 2008) [#13]
I think the style is fine. Maybe just de DOF is slightly too much but it looks very good.

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#14]
Too much of everything (DoF, Bloom, Blurr...) for me.

Apart from that: Well done.

puki(Posted 2008) [#15]
Great stuff.

I am not a big fan of DOF or Bloom, etc. However, it looks kind of sexual here. I'd probabably reduce the DOF slightly - but the Bloom possibly will be atmospheric in this dark, wooded, area. EDIT: especially if there is a bit of mist/fog.

I'd like to see some video footage of it.

Pack it up - email it to me and I will knock up a Fraps with it.

Panno(Posted 2008) [#16]
cool ! i like it

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#17]
i like this a lot. veeerrryy nice. kinda reminds me of the singapore scene in the pirates of the Caribbean movie. good job

markcw(Posted 2008) [#18]
Cool, but I now need glasses.

plash(Posted 2008) [#19]
Excellent design, super-overkill on the effects (unless the player is supposed to be sleepwalking, drunk, and just had a concussion).

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#20]
well phrased, Plash!

_33(Posted 2008) [#21]
What is the game about? That is what I'm asking. And, is it an FPS, advanture, RPG, MMORPG, what?

Filax(Posted 2008) [#22]
Very nice rendering! But i agree with the comments about the DOF,BLOOM etc
else good job :)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#23]
Look good but to be honest...you have put too much effect in there...if you put less effect(including DOF,BLOOM) down then I am sure it will look even better =)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#24]
Very nice. Has a good dreamy feel to it.

What does it look like w/o the dof or with the start of the effect further away?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#25]
@_33

Its fantasy game, some kind of mix between Dreamfall and Tomb Raider..my target is april next year to finish thing..so far..its progressing well..effect seems to be oversaturated regarding screens, but in motion is way different and really looking like its on the place...anyway..thats about it at the moment..

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#26]
I really like it. Maybe add more detail to the wooden area, maybe a few objects here and there. The DOF seems to start too close. But great work.

What lib are your using to achieve these effects?

*(Posted 2008) [#27]
aaaarrrrrggggghhhh my eyes

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#28]
WOW What a great atmosphere!

HNPhan(Posted 2008) [#29]
I like it :D
only the uniform bloom is too much

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#30]
well, the thing that's really ruining the mood is the bloom/DOF METHOD. You can see that it's placing layers of images in the render, one is sharp and normal, but then the other layers are blurred, which does a weird effect that looks unlike correct bloom. That effect is more of a scrambling, disorienting effect, while DOF merely diverts the eyes from the out-of-focus area, and creates less distractions from the point of interest.

Mikele(Posted 2008) [#31]
It looks very good! Amazing backgrounds, very atmospheric. I like DOF. Overall nice work but...
- never use the same texture for walls and floors, walls should be darker than floor
- add some details for textures (planks), make they more interesting, maybe add some decals here and there
- some places needs remaping UVs
Ofcourse it's only my opinion.

Something like this...

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#32]
Well, the focus has been said before. Other than that, it looks really good. Nice work!

Baystep Productions(Posted 2008) [#33]
Focus is off, the DOF's cool but extreme but thats probably the blooms fault. UV isn't set right.

BUT AMAZINGNESS!