a gun

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/a gun

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#1]
first gun

i realy need to make it more cartoony, maybe put some flames on or go faster stripes, it should convert to a low poly fairly easy ( i hope)

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#2]
Cool, looks very plastic already, which I assume is the desired look.

Should I be the first to mention the lack of trigger that you'll probably never put on because it'll never be seen and who really cares anyway?!

Or that the magazine looks narrower than the barrel so the shells would just rattle around on exit, but hey, that's just being anal and who really cares anyway...!!

As with all the work you show, looks great!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#3]
The gun remind of The Fifth Element flm - cool gun :)

Azathoth(Posted 2008) [#4]
Or that the magazine looks narrower than the barrel so the shells would just rattle around on exit, but hey, that's just being anal and who really cares anyway...!!
Might be some kind of laser or energy gun judging by that yellowish glow.

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#5]
it has to look like a toy that makes a good noise and kills bad guys

no trigger....i was going to do a trigger for the highpoly version just for the sake of it, lose it on the lowpoly version

umm never noticed the mag was to narrow, minor change ;)

The Fifth Element film..that had some good guns

yellow glow
yep i thought that could be out of the mag some sort of plasma shell

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#6]
Nice model, but I think you can change th texture to something more metallic.
In my opinion it look a little like cement. Like a bunker texture.

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#7]
the texture going to change ..a lot , it needs more cartoony that textures just a quickie ..just playing about really, tying to find a base texture to paint

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#8]
more flat, bright colors would give the toony look

GfK(Posted 2008) [#9]
I prefer the first version but I'd make the magazine blacker - something like the handle.

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#10]
yep theres something about the first one and i think a lighter shade will stand out more, it looks like its crying out for colour, pretty funny really its plasticy but rusty ;)

you could go on and on

its based on a bolt gun from one of my old white dwarf mags
scanned the image then used the pen tool to detail in and change a few things as i went along

will just have to see what falls out of head over the next day or so

Ked(Posted 2008) [#11]
What program did you use to model that? It looks really nice.

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#12]
used modo a bit hard to learn but well worth it

its a bit unstable on vista

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#13]
i was aiming for under 1k since i got the main character in at under 4k i allowed 6k for the character and weapon

gun is 800 tris so im well within what i allowed

just my first draft colour & normal map, theres a definate trick to normal maps im only starting getting to grips with

first draft

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#14]
nice work! Good job with the normal map particularly!

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#15]
its really the first normal map ive done with any amount of success

i spent more time on th uv than on the mesh, even though we cant really use them in b3d

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#16]
You can use them :o) I'm still tinkering away with that :o)

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#17]
thats good to hear, if you have a work around :) at a pinch i can get rid of it & bake it in as part of the diiffuse colour map

i think it suits the character more now & shows up against the backdrops...still working on it

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2008) [#18]
Wow, that looks great

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#19]
Very good.

Josh @ Leadwerks was after a "futuristic gun that doesn't suck" not sure if he ever found one. ( this is, and it doesn't :)

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#20]
thanks guys

guns are not that hard to do really, its just a case of getting a good reference image, the white dwarf stuff, warhammer is a great source

just copy bits from here and there and add your own tweaks