Procedural game map.

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Procedural game map.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#1]
So I've just finished a demo that makes procedural world maps. It takes a single number and a height and width. Pretty amazing what you can do with a seed value and generation routines. I'm a firm believer that procedural content can function well in games while cutting down space required by usual media. I hope to see more of this kind of controlled randomization in the future, I'm tired of seeing bloated game media files.

WIP progress thread. (Freeware code)
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=78953

Larger texture

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#2]
(without re reading the other thread)
does your code create the same level each time every time or is it still going to be random

eg my code data installed on 3 different gamers rigs for a network game having 3 diferent levles kinda sucks

i rember one landscape generator on the amiga gave the same results to the same numbers entered on any amiga, but a deviation no matter how subtle can bork a game

bad random seed example
re load a levels seed and the factory you built on that remote island is now finding itself floating then sinking into the ocean cos the island didnt get created in the slightly altered seed

GfK(Posted 2008) [#3]
If you mean "does the same seed always give the same result", I'd wager that it does.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2008) [#4]
make your own numeric random generator...