Quick Spaceship Model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Quick Spaceship Model

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#1]
This is a spaceship model made in Blender. I just spent 10 minutes on it cause I'm bored. Thought I could share it. Spend all your negative comments on this one :)

I call it Aries because of it's shape in top-down view

(Blender triangulated the model while rendering, strange)

scribbla(Posted 2008) [#2]
oOoo im an aries, nasty angry bas###d according the missus

does resemble a rams head so good choice of name

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#3]
Err...thanks :D

Matty(Posted 2008) [#4]
I like it, although the flat shading looks a little unusual, may look better smooth?

Reminds me a little of the Salthi in the first Wing Commander game (just a little).

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#5]
I looks okay, but the engines at the back do look pretty dorky. It'd shrink them down and bring them more in line with the height of the ship. Trumpet style engines are better suited to cartoon models. Also, the wings don't look like they're part of the ship. The seem to have their own style, as if they were added as an afterthought ;) I don't personally mind the hard-edged look, but the edges really should create lines of flow across the body of the model. Because it doesn't have that, it lacks any kind of dynamic presence. There are other things you can do to make the model look more dynamic, but that's a good place to start.

But anyway, thanks for sharing. I'm a fan of ship models ;)

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#6]
it would look awesome if the horns were removed

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#7]
The hard-edged look would be a lot more attractive if you had quads instead of triangles.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#8]
Thanks everyone. I didn't know a 10 minute crappy model would attract this much people :) Thanks.

...engines at the back do look pretty dorky...

You are right, I just rushed to show it here. Maybe I can redo a ship model soon.

it would look awesome if the horns were removed

I just wanted to make a ship called Aries :) it's no Aries without them.

The hard-edged look would be a lot more attractive if you had quads instead of triangles.

I used quads, it's rendering which triangulated the model as I said in my first post;
(Blender triangulated the model while rendering, strange)

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#9]
I know that Blender did it, I can see from the wireframe that you've used quads. I'm just saying that you probably wouldn't be hearing people complain about the hard edges if you could get it to render as quads. I've never used Blender so I can't tell you how the smoothing groups or whatever it uses work, but for me, it's hard to get past. The wireframe actually looks the best of the four images.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#10]
I do think you have a solid body design but I cannot figure out the logic behind the wings.

I think you should try some different wing designs. I do think you should take my advice with a grain of salt however. I'm not the artist here you are and you must do what you like.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#11]
The wings don't matter if it is a space ship. ;)

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#12]
>The wings don't matter if it is a space ship. ;)

They do if its a space ship that can return to planets, like the NASA space shuttle. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#13]
I like the overall shape,

select just the top and bottom faces then choose "smooth" shading rather than "hard" on them only (i assume u are using blender) this will render as a nice smooth surface.

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#14]
The wings are kinda weird...Too thin maybe?