My First Pixel Art

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My First Pixel Art

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#1]
First ever pixel art!

It's a house, and it actually looks like one.... err.. sorta?
lol.

Comments welcome.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#2]
perspective on the back corner is way off, needs to be lowered. other than that it looks pretty good, might add some grass around the edges of the house.

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#3]
I can't really see what you mean, But I redid the top anyway by copying the opposite sides line, Gave me almost the same thing. So is it better? Or still messed up?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#4]
well if you did the house in 3d the back right corner would be 5-ish feet above the rest of the house. the front left corner might be a little low too. here i'll illustrate what i mean.

messed up perspective

correct

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#5]
I know what you talk about, But I only thought that they lined up only if the two sides were the same length.

The front of my house is a diffrent length then the other side....

Wow, now I am confused.

edit:

Like This?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#6]
the circled corners ar at the same height the front left on is lower and the back right one is higher. this is the same setup as the skewed image. its the same for all boxes, no mater the shape and dimensions.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#7]
The problem is that you drew it with parallel lines, which is an orthographical depiction of it, you should have done it with perspective (lines of different length according to a made up FOV)

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#8]
I think I see what your talking about.
Alright, This one any better?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#9]
here look at this

Yan(Posted 2008) [#10]
Try googling 'two point perspective' for information and tutorials about drawing perspective.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#11]
but in the isometric / orthographical side of the scale it works
its a bit blocky mind

i myself choose to use tetris 's' shapes when doing isometric images and not the 2 along up one 2 along method used in the speccy days
but having said that i suck at art so all ive ever done is take a normal bitmap and manaully cut out the lines to fit the shape, i found it also best to work on 1 tetris 's' = 1 pixel too as some images sucked when altered that way but when doubled first didnt

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#12]
Google 'two point perspective' for information and tutorials about drawing perspective.

Um, most pixel art is drawn orthographically (or similar), as Ginger Tea pointed out. How on earth would you place drawn houses on a map otherwise?

Yan(Posted 2008) [#13]
Um, perhaps you should try following the thread.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#14]
I did. It sounds like Terry has no idea what he wants, and everyone is giving him lame advice about fixing the perspective on the back corner of the house, while every other part is left orthographical. No one seems to have bothered asking Terry what it is he's trying to achieve. Barking out "Google 'two point perspective'" is about as helpful as a kick in the teeth, especially if what he's after is your traditional orthographical style pixel art.

Yan(Posted 2008) [#15]
I wasn't the first to mention perspective and as Terry seemed to indicate that he wanted to add it, I'm at a loss as to why you have singled out my reply.

I was at least *attempting* to be helpful, not merely condescending.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#16]
When I said, 'um', I wasn't being condescending. It was my way of saying the saying, "Well hold on a second..." Sorry if you took that as putting you down.

Fair enough on what was first mentioned.

_33(Posted 2008) [#17]
The red cover over the door isn't properly aligned. It should be more to the right a bit. Try to match the top corners with the door top corners.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#18]
Well your image is too fuzzy to be traditional style pixel art.

Anyway you want a slope of 1/2 for every change in rise you go left of right twice as many times. This will produce clean looking edges that tile nicely.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#19]
i never did like the 2 along one up/down method of isometric art
like i said a few posts up i like the tetris 's' shape more for this kinda thing
each to their own i guess

cant see anything 'fuzzy' about it, perhaps its the jpg compression?

edit:
sorry im talking nonsense
i havnt done anything remotely like this in a while but was just thinking bout this (amazing what you think about with your head in the toilet first thing in the morning and you havnt been drinking)
my tetris s would be 2 along 1 up but what it doesnt do which i always found ugly was the 4 pixel wide middle ... that just never did sit well with me

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#20]
Well, havn't had time to work on this anymore atm, but will get back to it tomorrow probally..

Anyway you want a slope of 1/2 for every change in rise you go left of right twice as many times. This will produce clean looking edges that tile nicely.

Hmm, kinda see what you mean, maybe I'll try that next.