Low Poly Human

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Low Poly Human

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#1]
I modelled a human mesh in Blender. I used an anatomic drawing as a reference. It's still WIP so critics are welcome.

(Shots rendered in Blitz3D with Ortho projection - 1890 tris)

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looks pretty dam good man. I don't have any crits i'm afraid, apart from he's purple. ;o)

(Oh the pose looks like he's arching his back. It doesn't look like a normal standing position, unless he has posture problems :o))

Great model!

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#3]
Hey thanks, it's always nice to hear such compliments for a newbie modeller.

Here is the reference drawings.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#4]
It's sad nobody cares but Ross...

nrasool(Posted 2008) [#5]
Salaam Mortiis, I like it, its really good. How long did it take you to do that model, looks very good. It would be good to see what it would look like when you have textured it.

Keep up the good work :)

Al Meyer(Posted 2008) [#6]
Looks very nice

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#7]
Aleykumselam nrasool, thanks. It took me 2 days, working only at spare times. Something like 3 hours in sum. I made it in blender.

Thanks Al Meyer. It's nice no one made a bad comment.

plash(Posted 2008) [#8]
It's sad nobody cares but Ross...
Nice bump.

You want critics? its purple and untextured.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#9]
Too many polys on biceps which could be used for better detailing in hands etc, try reducing in some places and increasing in others.

As a general rule, the flatter the surface, the less polys you should use.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#10]
its purple and untextured

Oh, my bad. Missed those. :)

As a general rule, the flatter the surface, the less polys you should use.

Hmm, noted thanks.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2008) [#11]
Very nice model looks like your skills are developing fast I would say once you are comfortable with the base modeling spend some time looking at uvMapping this will help you in the long run as to achieve good skinning/NormalMapping is relative to the models Topology

As a general rule, the flatter the surface, the less polys you should use ?

Its Rare for Organic models to have many flat surfaces just cutting the number of poly used wouldnt result in a good model.

The art is Topology (Represent a Shape or Form With the Smallest amount of Polys While Retaining 80-90% of the Shape)
The Last 10-20% can be generated Via Normal/Bump/Displacement Maps depending on the applied application

When doing things Like Legs and Arms try to Keep to 6 or 8 polyrings this supplies more than enough detail with a few vertex tweaks

Here Have a look at this :)

http://www.montagestudio.org/Tutorials.html

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#12]
Confuses me sometimes round here. The people who post crits of peoples models, only really post if the model has something wrong with it. Some encouragment people! It's a good model!

Duckstab[o](Posted 2008) [#13]
Mine wasnt a Crit its a helpfull pointer

Everybody has there own style of modelling and its hard for one person to replicate anothers work.

I will not fault the model in question Mortiis most likely got the results he was looking for but do you think the greatest painters in the world got where they did without +/- Crits dont think so.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#14]
Thanks Duckstab, very useful information. I love montagestudio, I speak with Jonathan (author of montage studio) frequently for my models and ask for his advice. I started modelling with his tutorials.

Ross, you are very supportive man, thanks :)

Amon(Posted 2008) [#15]
How much for the model?

I'd like to use it as a base for other models so the license will have to give me permission to modify the mesh and sell any other models I create from it or use the models freely in my games?

Or better yet, how much would you charge for a model like the one I posted some time ago? eg. a male and female, low poly, base model about 1000 polys each....

I think you are a good modeller and of the price is right I'd like to hire you to make me a model. :)

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#16]
Amon, what an exciting offer for me! I would love to model and make some money off of it. Please send me an e-mail to mortiisgames[at]gmail[dot]com with some details.

Xilvan(Posted 2008) [#17]
Oh man thats fantastic...

Way better than what I expected from you Mortiis...

Best wish for making your next games !

Cya
Alex

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#18]
Thanks Xylvan, but what did you expect from me? I'm not retarded afterall :D

Tab(Posted 2008) [#19]
I like the Polycount v/s Quality. Great work Mortiis.

OFFTOPIC : "This image or video violated our terms of use" lol

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#20]
Here is the new one I made for Amon. Only 996 Polys!

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#21]
looks great,
practice modelling a human wearing clothes - not many video game characters are naked

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#22]
Hmm. The first model is much better than the second one.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#23]
Hmm. The first model is much better than the second one.

Agreed. For one example, look at the line of the central vertices down the chest of the top model and notice the lines formed by the vertices to either side. Now do the same thing on the second model. They're completely different. The second one looks like a surgeon has slit him right down the front and pulled his chest apart. The first one looked pretty good.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#24]