Low Poly Troll-ish Creature (WIP)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Low Poly Troll-ish Creature (WIP)

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#1]
(Sorry for bad screenies, I rendered it in blitz)

UPDATE: Textures finished

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#2]
looking good. now you need entitycolor troll,0,255,0

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#3]
It's a good start but I'm not too thrilled with the feet. Also, if I were you I'd exaggerate the proportions more. Expand the forearms (think Popeye) and hands, generally lengthen the arms, bulk up the shoulders, thicken the neck, and hunch the spine a little. Make that nose even larger and more bulbous. Generally add bulk and beat him with the ugly stick. At the moment it looks like you're working from a base human torso.

Here's my advice: imagine what the models looks like in silhouette. If the silhouette doesn't scream "troll!" then you need to rework the proportions and posture. Or think of it this way, if you saw its shadow cast upon a wall, would you think "that's a troll!" or "that's a man with a big nose!"?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thanks mtnhome3d

JustLuke, thanks for your honest comments. While I agree with you on some aspects, I must say it's not a troll. Troll-ish doesn't describe what I want to achieve with this actually.

Allright I must be honest, I copied from this a bit;

After completing this dude, I tweaked the body a bit and I'm modelling the head from scratch. I'll also add details once the head is finished so it will be totally unique from the one in reference. It's just a starting point.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#5]
Ah, I see. Ok. I still don't like the feet though. :p

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#6]
looks like he'd get massive foot cramps fast.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#7]
yeah, standing like that seems very not evil.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#8]
That's Nightcrawler from the X-Men.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#9]
It won't stand like that, it's just the reference. In animation his knees will be bent.

Any more crits about the model?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#10]
Updated screenies

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#11]
it looks sorta ork/goblin-ish now

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#12]
Yeah, you liked it?

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#13]
The texture needs work. It's patterned but it isn't shaded. Take a look at your reference pic, see the way that muscles, grooves, creases and contours are defined by light and shadow? That's what your texture lacks. Without these things, it looks very flat and plain.

Cp(Posted 2008) [#14]
NIGHTCRAWLER.X-MEN.DO I MAKE SENSE???? LOL

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#15]
the nose is sort pointy on the bottom and his toes are funny looking, more so than they should be.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#16]
Looks good man

GfK(Posted 2008) [#17]
Looks OK but the arms and legs are proportionally wrong.

NIGHTCRAWLER.X-MEN.DO I MAKE SENSE????
No.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#18]
still don't like the feet :P

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#19]
The texture needs work. It's patterned but it isn't shaded.

I totally agree, I must admit I suck at texturing. But I can send the uv map to anyone who is willing to help :D

NIGHTCRAWLER.X-MEN.DO I MAKE SENSE???? LOL

No. The body is modelled from night crawler reference, so?

Looks OK but the arms and legs are proportionally wrong.

It's modelled just as the reference. What are the correct proportions of a fantasy "made-up" model? It is not a realistic model, take a look at world of warcraft's character proportions.

Thanks everyone for honest comments.

JA2(Posted 2008) [#20]
I think fantasy characters/creatures look nice with overexaggerated features, especially facial features. For a troll, something like this looks quite good...

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#21]
I forgot to mention that I'm working solo as a coder mainly, this one was my second complete organic model yet. I think It wouldn't be arrogant to say that I model better then MDickie.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2008) [#22]
I like it body looks fine maybe a bit more weight would really pull it off.
I would say that the only down point is the Head in relation to the body topology, it looks faded and its shape isnt that apparent..
..Fixes
1. Make features more pronounced maybe pull the ears to a more visable angle
2. Review the Head Scale might Look better Larger or Wider
3. Consider the Texturing of the Head changing the detail level would help by adding shades and tones bring out those features.

Start Making them in Chibi style so i can pinch them for my Tactics Game :)
GoodWork

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#23]
Comming on nicely, although my first thought rather than troll, would be a tall goblin or mabe a non-warrior orc (ie orc-shaman)

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#24]
Comming on nicely, although my first thought rather than troll, would be a tall goblin or mabe a non-warrior orc (ie orc-shaman)

Thanks, I was inspired by the WoW trolls a bit too. (You know, they are tall and thin too)

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#25]
MUCH better!

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#26]
You mean the last one I posted?

Hehe, it's the troll model in World of Warcraft, I didn't model that one.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#27]
oh, that makes you a noob :P

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#28]
I didn't understand, why should that make me a noob?