My first *real* organic model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My first *real* organic model

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#1]
I finally took a shot at organic modelling, so I've made my first ever human head. This guy took me about 6 hours. In a wireframe the geometry looks (and is) terribly hacked up, though. 'ave it!

[EDIT] reposted the image with fixes suggested below [/EDIT]

complement it or die.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#2]
it looks nice. better than mine.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#3]
can you post yours?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#4]
The nose is far too narrow at the top. Other than that, it looks excellent.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#5]
fixed that, thanks

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#6]
i don't have one that is even worth posting. i got legs and torso down but heads look terrible, oh and feet too.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#7]
ok i modeled a very high poly cartoon cow-head not really human but it will do. i'll post in a moment, needs some work though.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#8]
its still wip, uvmap needs work and painting by hand on a high poly mesh is painfully slow

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#9]
Nice model chwaga!

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#10]
The forehead needs to be flattened out so it's not so mirrored.
A little work extruding the eyebrows and eyelids and maybe clean up the sunken area along the side of the nose so it flows better. You might have to add some hair so that unexplained ridge on the back of the skull isn't so prominent but I really do think you did a great job on the neck so leave that as is.

Not bad at all.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#11]
fixed, thanks (no hair but i think i fixed the 'unexplaned ridge'). I can post it if you want, put it's just subtle changes.

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#12]
Getting the little details is most of the fun if you ask me.
I've had Z-Brush 2 a couple of years now but just never seem
to get the results(or time to try) the way I'd like to.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#13]
i know, i was just thinking 'ah! i wish i had zbrush! I could microdetail this guy into photorealism', but i'm making small tweaks slowly bringing him closer to non-photo-but-still-realism-realism.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#14]
something about the nose is wierd, I cant put my finger on it though

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#15]
i know, i fixed the nose, it's that the nostils have a weird dip on their ridges and the point at which the nose and face collide is too close to the front. fixed that though.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#16]
higher res put up with the fixes, any more comments are welcome!

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#17]
There is much to improve;

Jaw needs a better definition.
Ear is too thin
Eyes need some work (too wrinkled and needs to be shaped more realistic)

Did you use a reference picture? Is it Zbrush?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#18]
i use 2 reference images i put on planes. I made it in 3ds simply by extruding and tweaking the verts, edges, and faces of a plane. I'm working on the eyes but the darn things wont cooperate, I know the ear is too thing and will work on it, but i'm not sure what you mean by 'Jaw needs a better definition'.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#19]
Some pointers:

1. learn to make your models out of quads. 4 sided polys prevent "pinching" artifacts.

2. learn your modelling package's cut poly tool, and learn to delete edges as well, this is the fundamental step towards quad modelling and allows you to gain control over the process.

At the moment you're slightly out of control, striving to force the model into a desired shape. With steps 1 and 2, you gain control and are able to think and design it into shape.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#20]
I plane is a quad, and I did cut and delete edges as neccessary, although i don't think I planned ahead well enough, because I often found myself welding verts and getting strangly shaped quads with invisible edges. But, then again, I had no idea what to plan ahead for, hopefully my next try will be better...

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#21]

Z-Brush effort. Same problems trying to detail the eyes etc.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#22]
can't without something like zbrush, which I can't afford (your image isnt popping up). 3ds is very bad at handling large poly counts, and I'm trying to keep this texture-free (the skin is autogenerated by mental ray in a shader).

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#23]
Worst zbursh model I've ever seen, no offense :)

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#24]
lol (i thought you were posting a zbrush example and telling me to add detail to the eyes. Give me your copy of zbrush and let me play with it pleeeeease :) No offence but i gotta agree with mortiis. It looks as if over half of the geometry s self intersecting.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#25]
i'll take an .obj and mudbox it, till the trial ends.

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#26]
Yeah it sucks. That's why I posted it cuz in a previous post I was talking about similar problems I have when trying organic modeling. The upside is that it has to get better.