so i downloaded 3ds max....

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/so i downloaded 3ds max....

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#1]
heres a little pointless render i made.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#2]
pretty good for a first render, mine was so bad i don't even have it any more

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#3]
nice! my first real shiny pics are here.

you'll find that the learning curve in 3ds i very simple, not to mention fun, only, I alternate between coding obsessions and shiny picture making obsession, but for some reason I can't ever get caustics to work...

Try making an indoor scene, those always look awesome in mental ray.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
so i downloaded 3ds max....
o.O

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#5]
theres a demo GfK

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#6]
I had the same first impression too, GfK, lol.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#7]
3dsmax rulez man..

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#8]
maya's better :D

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#9]
Sure, Maya is better than a lump of dirt... but XSI is teh bestest ;)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#10]
..yeah..thats why Autodesk (3dsmax boyz) use to buy Alias Wavefront :) Maya wearing 3dsmax dress, U like it or not :) max rulez :)

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#11]
whatever

deps(Posted 2008) [#12]
Povray!!1

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#13]
yeah for pavray too, its awesome for what it is.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#14]
i dont know, Autodesk just acquired RealVIZ, so 3ds 2009 should be ubar...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#15]

o.O

What? Well, after I downloaded, circumvented and cracked my copy, I couldn't manage anything near this good as this.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#16]
i didnt realize my post would create such controversy! :D haha

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#17]
here are some more. i think they are much better.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#18]
lol i almost used the same sailboat in one of my renders.
i like the middle one.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#19]
yes yes, good old turbosquid.. :)

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#20]
very nice!

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#21]
another...

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#22]
Hehe, I still think Max is best for games. Has native exporters for most engines and better poly modeling than Maya for the most part. Especially if your into level editing. I think its Cad visualization roots give it some advantages allthough Maya is catching up and is better for nurbs modeling which is a bit of a joke in Max.

XSI has almost no support in games and using third party conversion tools is no fun. Oddly I use softimage's CAT plugin for 3dsmax to do bone animation. Softimage make XSI (Incase you don't know). CAT is easily the best game dev anim tool for 3dsmax, has built in procedural non linear cycle/loop animation features that work really well.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#23]
wait...if you got that model from turbosquid, it's cheating and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#24]
CAT is easily the best game dev anim tool for 3dsmax, has built in procedural non linear cycle/loop animation features that work really well.

Never heard of it before, but I just looked it up and it does look very good. A little more expensive than I was expecting, but if it does everything it claims to do as well it claims to do it, it still sounds like a pretty good deal. Thanks for the pointer.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#25]
I hear CAT rocks... but whether it's more able than Motionbuilder or not (and whether it gets integrated into XSI one day) will determine if I end up using it. It's certainly cheap compared to MotionBuilder though ;)

XSI has almost no support in games and using third party conversion tools is no fun.

I've had no issue with 3rd party tools... but anyway, although Max has had the earlier start, XSI's popularity is growing rapidly. Max isn't bad for modelling work, but compared to XSI it's just clumsy and slow. Granted, XSI isn't the best for accurate work, but its interface will bend over backwards to accomodate you, while using Max is like fighting with ten years of UI options that have been shoved to fit in whatever space could be found at the time.

As far as games work goes... you can build your game engine into XSI, and then use it to edit your levels realtime. Last time I checked, Max was nowhere near being able to do that ;)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#26]
>>you can build your game engine into XSI, and then use it to edit your levels realtime. Last time I checked, Max was nowhere near being able to do that ;)<<

You sure about that? This guys incorporated exactly their real time renderer in to MAX and every single bump, normalmap set in max material editor, including shaders you see in real time+max lightening, including Vray..beat that..

http://www.codeblend.com/

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#27]
That's a realtime renderer... not a host for your own engine. XSI will run your game, not run a simulation of your game. Plus, for $500US you can get XSI Foundation (which allows you to use the custom host), whereas you're talking about someone else's engine for the cost of Max, plus $1500US.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#28]
check it again...I installed it before and used ...
apart from seen your scene in real time in max, you can press one magic button "Export" and all your media, scene, and so on will be compiled in to one EXE file you can distribute around and play with..there is even some kind of scripting for your scene within max for that particular plug in so you can do some 'behaving'...

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#29]
That's still not the same thing...

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/videos.aspx?video_id=10

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#30]
..ah..i see...guy talking about 'injecting just about any game engine(with source)' in to system and use it in parallel...thats cool...

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#31]
if you use flow and are a 3dsmax user you can use ofusion and 3dsmax instead of FlowED to edit your levels. It even renders a max viewport using the Ogre engine using whichever scenemanager you want and all of ogres features. You can also add simple scripts for gameplay objects via the user defined properties edit box in the right click menu.

Ofusion pro exporter comes with a shaderFX bridge which lets you use shaderFX shaders in realtime in the ogre viewport and saves your scene complete with optimized native ogre shaders instead of .fx files.

Shame Ofusion pro costs more than flow.

Video's pretty old, but gives you some idea of how the shaderFX bridge works. Shows a max viewport and ofusion Ogre viewport down the bottom.

http://www.lumonix.net/ShaderFX_ogre.wmv

Flow uses the ofusions OSM scene format so we created flowED to allow non max users to create scenes without any fancy tools or exporters and still have a large chunk of the same functionality.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#32]
sry chwaga, i just am absolutely and completely almost hopeless at modeling. i didn't want to waste my demo time on modeling. i like rendering 'cause it makes me feel like a actually did something! haha. :D

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#33]
Are those supposed to be sailboats?

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#34]
yes. don't they look like sailboats?

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#35]
hi, liked seeing the image of the sail..
i am a fan of sailboats...
years ago i made i 3d sailboat...
i share here with you...

Regards..
Santiago

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#36]
i think, the best 3D program is the one that you can use... 3dmax, maya, blender, wings3d, etc..

ICECAP(Posted 2008) [#37]
Lets face it guys, the best 3D program to use is the one you are most comfortable with. I use Max because I grew up on it from version 3, not because its possibly better than anything else out there.

Its your modeling skill that's important, not the tools you use to make your art.

Nice first renders by the way. :)

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#38]
*whispers* I like Lightwave.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#39]
*yells* MAYA is BETTER!!!

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#40]
3ds pwnz all :D

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#41]
very impressive boat and sea piccies(;-)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#42]
Are those supposed to be sailboats?
!??! Well they dont look like space rockets... unless u are on something :/

..and i like blender... so there! :P

H. T. U.(Posted 2008) [#43]
If you ask me, blender can do almost anything other modellers can, but I still hate the interface. I like max the best, but my trial expired :(.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#44]
max is far superior to blender. The interface makes no sense, and the methods for modifiers, the way things are done in general are just stupid. The unwrapping method in max is WAY better also.

way to ressurect a dead thread.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#45]
I thought a dead thread was > 6 months.

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#46]
you know you can lease 3dsmax for $110 a month. Some people spend more than that on their mobile and cable TV. Only catch is that you have to have at least a limited company to qualify.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#47]
max is far superior to blender.
I should hose so considering it costs 2000 odd greenies more, just to use the bog standard version professionally. As for the interface, its great!!, i dunno what are you on about :)