New Models

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/New Models

Drak(Posted 2008) [#1]
Been working on some soldier models for my coastal defense game lately. Basically I took the model I made for my rpg game and altered it to suit my needs. These 2 models have MUCH better textures than my rpg characters. I was able to take photos of most parts of the uniform from the internet and paste them on the uvmap, only about 30% of each model is actually hand drawn.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#2]
Wow, those certainly are a big improvement over your RPG models. Your RPG models weren't bad but you've certainly developed your skills since then. Did you hand-paint the faces? They're very good.

Drak(Posted 2008) [#3]
The face is about half hand painted. I had to copy and paste half a face on the uvmap, because believe it or not its very difficult to find a face looking straight forward. That got me to the front of the ear on each side of the face, so the hand painted side is from ear to ear around back of the head. I did have to alter the face a bit to make it look just a little bit cartoony.

N(Posted 2008) [#4]
From what I can see, you're planar-mapping pretty much everything without fixing stretching or anything. A lot of people start off using this, I guess it's because it's easy, but it simply does not work. Don't do this. Clothes are simply not the same from the front as they are from the back, and this only works against you. If you insist upon using planar mapping, learn how to UV parts of the model in sections and stitch the pieces together to form a good, non-wasteful UV map.

As far as texturing goes, you really need to actually paint the textures and focus on larger details to distinguish each model from the others. They'll probably look like brown blobs in motion to all but the person who made them (you). Texturing is, oddly enough, not just rough texture like what you have going on most of the model. Too many small details will kill it; too many large, nonsensical details will kill it; too many details in general will kill it.

Do not rely on photos for texturing. This almost never works, especially when all you've done is take photos off the internet and pasted them in (by the way, this is copyright infringement in most cases). Unless you've taken the photos yourself and have spent time fixing lighting, color, etc., it will almost always turn out as poorly as it has here.

You're better than a regular beginner, so make sure to take the time to improve beyond this. As long as you're willing to put in the effort, you should be able to far exceed this.

puki(Posted 2008) [#5]
They look good.