Normal Map (is this the right place?)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Normal Map (is this the right place?)

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#1]
I don't really know if this is the right place where ask about it..
Can anyone explan what is normal map and what can i do it?
Can blitz3d support it (i really don't know what is it!!)

Aza

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
No its not the right place. This is the graphics showcase, for showcasing graphics.

You need the Blitz3D programming forums.

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#3]
:( ok i'll go away.. :)
I am sorry i never get it!
Sorry moderator can you close it?
I'll post in blitz3d programming. Thanks

Aza

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#4]
A normal map is exactly what it sounds like. It's a texture map just like any other except that instead of holding the diffuse color of each point on the surface of your model, it holds the surface normal instead.

It works because you write a shader which looks up the surface normal on the normal map instead of looking it up from the nearest vertices on the model. This value for the surface normal is now used in your lighting equations just as you would normally use your vertex normals. So you can actually appear to change the shape of a mesh between vertices, where you would normally have to add new vertices to create that detail.

No, Blitz3D can't support it. Blitz3D has two methods of faking normal maps. One of those methods looks bad and is very, very slow. The other method looks even worse and is fairly slow. Without pixel ahaders, normal mapping is pointless. You have to throw away lightmaps even to use either of the bad methods, and quite honestly, you'll get a much better appearance out of really good lightmapping than you will with bad faked normal mapping. Just take a look at a well-modelled, well-lit Gile[s] scene to see what I mean.