Even Shinier Picture!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Even Shinier Picture!

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#1]
The title says it. The rendering took FOREVER because of all the reflections going on.

'ave it!

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#2]
bump for gloating purposes.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#3]
Why exactly are your bouys bobbing as if in a storm?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#4]
shut up and adore it.
(i turned the other ones too strongly but it took too long to render for me to redo it)

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#5]
Nice water. Where did you get that normal map?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#6]
i think is an ocean shader. i don't know if max has them exactly but maya has an ocean shader that automatically dristibutes the polies in the nurbs plane and sets up the wave height and foam emmissions and such without a normal map.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#7]
well i well admit defeat on this on cause i can't get anything to look good. but i challeng you to a contest. lets see who can do the best render
with a vehicle in it. it can be any type of vehicle you want, futuristic or present day or medievil.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#8]
hmm...I'll think about it, my vehicular modelling skills suck :)

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#9]
ok, why not. You're on.

and, out of curiosity, how old are you?? I'm 14, so you have no excuse if you lose :P

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#10]
well here it is, nothing fancy but:

btw what soft ware do you use to model and such?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#11]
3ds and that doesnt count as a vehicle :)

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#12]
haha no that was my water image

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#13]
i know, what modeller do you use?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#14]
Maya and mental ray for renders

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#15]
heres my entry.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#16]
I like the water but...
Too bright...
Eyes...Hurt...

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#17]
haha i'll have to find my old speeder bike scene and coax a good render out of it.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#18]
Yep, definitely too bright for my tastes too. I would actually say "washed out" more than bright, because there's no contrast. Because of the lack of contrast, it becomes less dramatic and there is less of a sense of depth about it. I appreciate there's a big glaring sun staring at us, but what's lighting the buoys from the direction of the camera? With the sun behind them, I would expect those buoys to be very dark, almost silhouetted, but they're not.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#19]
ok heres the ultimate render, its a little big though but makes a cool desktop background [edit] nvrmnd it was the wrong res vresion oh well [/edit]

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#20]
[qoute] and, out of curiosity, how old are you?? I'm 14, so you have no excuse if you lose :P [/qoute] i just saw this and i'm 17

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#21]
Er, since there are multiple pictures being posted by multiple people, I should probably clarify. My comments about washed out, lack of contrast, etc, were purely in relation to Chwaga's first picture of buoys.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#22]
well my first vehicle picture was washed out too so i think your crit still stands.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#23]
cool...

do more of these:

http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=74975#838167

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#24]
Contrast is terrible on first pic. Even in fog the nearest object should cut through and the sun reflections should blend not just look like they were penciled in. (though they do look a little better in the foreground than they do where they start at the horizon.) No adoration.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#25]
It looks fine on my computer, though the monitor is exceedingly brighter and shinier than anything I've seen before, so it might just be me.

I'm busy (playing assassin's creed) at the moment, so it'll be a bit for that render...

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#26]
OK, it's finally done!! I had to render it overnight, for some reason it's uber-slow...It's a futuristic train, I added the motion blur in GIMP.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#27]
bah!
somebody comment!!

puki(Posted 2008) [#28]
I find it a bit of a turn-on.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#29]
find what?

plash(Posted 2008) [#30]
Lack of detail on the train head.

P.S. And no, I was totally not answering your question.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#31]
I tried putting a texture on the train head but it was buggy so I just did without it.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#32]
do it anyway

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#33]
buggy to the point where it doesn't show up no matter what i do. Also, I couldn't put a texture on the floor because with it, it took over 1hr for a 320 x 240 render. (things tend to randomly take forever)

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#34]
first one is nice man. water looks cool.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#35]
(things tend to randomly take forever)

The computer is only doing what you tell it to. Learn to render properly and things won't seem so random.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#36]
that or it's vista :)

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#37]
Mental Ray and the apps it runs in are well tested under Vista. I'm afraid it's just you ;)

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#38]
darn

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#39]
that pic looks really chwaga. would you be willing to give away that sky image?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#40]
Lol, sorry, the sky image is an auto-generated shader by mental ray, it calculates the sky color depending on the sun's position in the sky.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#41]
is this done in 3ds max? if so how do you do that sky thing?

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#42]
3ds max comes with mental ray (or the other way around, depends how you're thinking of it, you buy 3ds, you get mental ray already plugged in). To do "that sky thing", add a Daylight system, set the sun & light types to MR Sun, and it will prompt you to add a physical sky map to the environment. All done.