Gothic 3D game arena model for sale

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Gothic 3D game arena model for sale

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#1]
EDIT: I've decided to release this model as freeware, rather than charging for it. It can be used for any commercial or non-commercial purpose; no credit required.

This is a gothic style 3D game arena model made using the Maplet CSG editor. It's a reasonably large arena, with lots of rooms; staircases; ledges and alcoves (to place pickups); and hidey holes (for badguys to lurk). The model also includes an underground entrance to a section of the arena. This entrance could potentially be initially hidden, and opened via a trigger event.

The model download link is: http://realmsmith.com/products/3d-models/gothic-arena-1/Gothic_arena_1.zip

A flythrough of the model can be downloaded from: http://realmsmith.com/products/3d-models/gothic-arena-1/flythrough.zip

Model file format: b3d (BlitzBasic)
Surfaces: 8
Polycount: 20,628
Vertices: 22,862 (welded)
Textures: 8
Lightmapping: None

The texturing is a bit rough, particlarly on the columns. The polycount is higher than it could be, too, as it was made with Maplet.

Note that, if required, free and paid lightmappers, texturing tools, etc can be found at: http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php

There are lots of cross sections and hidey-holes for badguys to lurk.

This room includes an underground entrance to a section of the arena.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#2]
I think that you'll have trouble selling this for $10, but good luck.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#3]
Well the problem is that the textures are bad. The tiling can be seen too much. I would suggest you change the textures and then sale it

Yeshu777(Posted 2008) [#4]
Nice map but definitely needs more textures.

From the shots the marble pillar texture is also used on the walls and as such makes everything look a little repetitive.

At present the walls remind me of one of those stereogram images.

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yes, texturing definately isn't my strong point. Part of the problem is that I didn't think things through well enough when I was creating the geometry, and ended up with too many triangles ovelapping into areas where I wanted a different texture. In future I'll probably plan the texturing first, so that I can allow for the geometry to map it on to.

I've added a flythrough for the model at: http://realmsmith.com/products/3d-models/gothic-arena-1/flythrough.zip . Just unzip the archive and run the exe inside, then press F1 to toggle the instructions on.

N(Posted 2008) [#6]
Considering this was made with Maplet and the entire thing is of a particularly low quality, I don't think you'll get anyone buying it. Might benefit you as a learning experience to have made it, but selling maps and such just doesn't work, especially when one such as this could easily be recreated since it's very, very basic. Even at $10, this is not likely to be worth it to anyone. The beginners probably won't want to pay $10 for something so simple and the people who can already do it simply won't want it because you can't really just buy a map for a game.

This is somewhat a problem using with Maplet, since it's very weak as a level editor- at most you would use it to create a rough layout (what this appears to be)- but also the problem is that you don't seem to yet know how to really make levels. Not saying I can yet make them on a professional level, but this is very much right-at-the-beginning work.

My advice would be to look up tutorials on mapping. Old Quake 3 ones are still good to learn from, there are plenty for Half-life 1 and 2 now that would be able to show you various processes and techniques for it as well. I don't know where any of these are off the top of my head, but it shouldn't be terribly hard to find them.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#7]
I agree with Noel.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#8]
From a design standpoint that map has an awful lot of dead-ends for an arena game.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#9]
my brother dabbles in jedi knight levels has done for a while

im sure he'd say it lacked 'a barney room' and we're not talking about purple dinosaurs here

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#10]
Hi, due to quality issues, I've decided to remove this model from sale and release it as freeware instead. It can be used for any commercial or non-commercial purpose; no credit required.

I considered correcting the quality issues, sectioning it up, and selling it as a slot together model pack; but I think it would be better to start fresh.

Thanks for all the replies, advice, and constructive critisisms given in this thread. Some interesting points were raised. Any additional advice, critisisms, etc, that you care to make would be greatly appreciated.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#11]
Bill, I admire your ability to make quick decisions and get things sorted.

If you enjoy using CSG editors, can I suggest 3D World Studio? It's only real issues at this point is a lack of a (working) undo system and support for anything that requires shaders. Otherwise, it's fast and easy to use, and has support for prefab pieces. It's also not that costly... although perhaps Josh can comment on when version 6 will arrive.

On the topic of csg level design... if you're adding pillars to a level (and with respect to not knowing how Maplet works), try not to have them cut into the floor, creating unneeded geometry. Create the pillars seperately and leave them sitting on the floor instead of going through it.

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#12]
Hi, Reactor. I've been meaning to have a look at 3D World Studio. I tried the demo of Cartography Shop a few years ago and found it fairly claustraphobic to work in, but hopefully 3D World Studio improves on that.

Yes, having the columns embedded in the main geometry, wasn't smart, I agree. It made for some interesting geometry fragmentation issues, as well as being less versatile.

---

Regarding level editors, one of my pet peeves with most level and world editors is that they usually don't provide a flythrough mode along the lines of what I use for the model flythrough listed on this page. It's easy enough to toggle between GUI and flythrough modes with a keypress, and it just makes it so much easier to get into a proper position for viewing and working on a model or level. Most model editors could also probably benefit from a flythrough mode - although they tend to be used to work on more compact geometry, so it's less of an issue. Just a little whinge :-)

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#13]
With 3DWS if you click the right mouse you go into a flythrough mode, using the WASD keys, like an fps game. It's actually one of the reasons I like using it, because it's so much smoother than everything else I tried. When you right click you exit that mode, and can work on whatever you like in the main 3d view. Holding shift will speed up your movement... which is great for large levels.

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#14]
Sounds good. I'll have to give it a try.