New Candy by Alex (Xylvan)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/New Candy by Alex (Xylvan)

Xilvan(Posted 2008) [#1]
I've just remodelled Candy for Candy World : The Golden Bones Tome II... She looks better now

Before:

After:

What do u think ?

plash(Posted 2008) [#2]
Horrible. The texture needs some major work, the eyes look stretched.

Is this a model of a dog in a wind tunnel? I would remove the effect from the feet and tail.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#3]
Is this a model of a dog in a wind tunnel?

Keep in mind that it'll probably be walking at 800 miles per hour, knowing Xylvan's games... ;-)

Anyway: I thought the previous model looked better.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#4]
Really dude... Just using a model that you made and applying meshsmooth doesn't do a lot. Start from scratch and make a better texture

N(Posted 2008) [#5]
Is this a model of a dog in a wind tunnel?
More or less sums up the visual effect.

Xylvan, have you considered looking for modeling tutorials? Anything to actually help you improve, rather than the same old smoothed boxes?

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#6]
the texture looks ok the dog looks too square overall,and the tail needs to be fixed.
try using some reference pictures to model from

Xilvan(Posted 2008) [#7]
I'm fixing the texture, it was just a demo... Candy Will look better in the final version !!!

I need it animated...

plash(Posted 2008) [#8]
Yeah, I bet now its "just a demo".

Ked(Posted 2008) [#9]
Gabriel hasn't chimed in yet. Odd.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#10]
What's the difference between the before and after?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#11]
Gabriel hasn't chimed in yet. Odd.

I'm flattered, really, but you're not my type and I'm spoken for.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#12]
One thing that looks way off would be it's tail, maybe add alpha to the 'hair' thats coming off it, so it doesnt look like a solid mass of bone

Ked(Posted 2008) [#13]
I'm flattered, really, but you're not my type and I'm spoken for.

Wow. Way to twist that around.

Xilvan(Posted 2008) [#14]

We are near reality... The real Candy used to look like this:

The new dog's name will be Candy Sweetharth... And Snoopy will be named Toopy and will be playable tomorrow...

Snoopy will be able to use his ball to attack ennemies and Boss...

Here a new video of Candy World (actually its to present the new candy dog's design)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwSKMta0nTs

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#15]
..you are really in luv with your doggie, arent ya? Im sure your GF will be really happy lady..

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#16]
The new dog's name will be Candy Sweethearth...

Spellcheck, spellcheck, spellcheck!

A 'hearth' is a fireplace. you probably meant 'sweetheart'

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#17]

We are near reality...

In what measurement? Green eyed monsters?

Take your time to make proper improvements before rushing to show people your work. You keep jumping the gun on your showcases and seem confused by criticism. Polish your work as if it means something THEN give us eye candy.

If you do that, you will have more support and more constructive criticism rather then having us tell you what should be obvious.

Imo the dog looks like a squished stuffed animal that was just pulled out of a tightly packaged box.

That is a realistic and well done dog model. Your model needs a lot of improvement before you can compare it to realism.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#18]
Yeah, he's way to flat. Even a simple scale outwards would do the trick. It looks like he's been squashed in a vice :o)

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#19]
That is a realistic and well done dog model.

You're kidding, right? If I had a dog that looked like that, the first thing I'd do is call some well armed mercenaries around to 'take care of it'.

Mind you, if I had a dog that looked and moved like Xylvan's... I'd just run away as fast as I could...

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#20]
Snoopy will be able to use his balls to attack ennemies

This game is rated A for Adults (+18).

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#21]
you improved the tail - good job

2 things that I can see wrong with it now

1- the tail is too square-looking from the top-view

2- the white neck area looks too big

It looks really good from the 2d-side view

monotonic(Posted 2008) [#22]
You're kidding, right? If I had a dog that looked like that, the first thing I'd do is call some well armed mercenaries around to 'take care of it'.

lol.

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#23]
wow there is some really harsh criticism going on here -

Plash your attitude stinks man. If you went in to a team meeting in any games company with that sort of comment, you get your head kicked in.

if you can't draw too well yourself, you have no business taking potshots:)

my 2 cents. the actual style if the thing is shaping up, just take off the edges and it will be fine

The eyes are a little stretched on the head also.

I am serious about this even if you think someones work is awful don't go around making vindictive comments, it just doesn't look professional.

This recent malarky comes across as bullying and the mods should show a bit of leadership here and crack down on it.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#24]
Seeing i has great capabilities they simply gave me 3Dstudio max 8...

I can''t model but if that's the standard needed for a free copy of 3DSMax 8 then I'm in.
I think it looks like that dog-thing from Neverending Story.

KillerX(Posted 2008) [#25]
My advice is that you change the colour. I've never seen a dog that shade of brown.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#26]
if you can't draw too well yourself, you have no business taking potshots:)

So people can only cricise things that they themselves excel in? That's faulty logic, my friend. If your reasoning was accepted then very few judges or juries would be entitled to reach verdicts in court cases, I couldn't criticise people for using hard drugs unless I was myself a hard drug user, and I couldn't express a negative opinion of a neurosurgeon who repeatedly botches his work and kills his patients because I know nothing about surgery or neuroscience.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#27]
I agree completely with JustLuke.

Example - Do you think everybody on Britain's Got Talent is a brilliant singer because you yourself couldn't carry a tune in a bucket? Of course not. They crap, and you know it. You don't need to be better than them to know that they're crap.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#28]
Yes but he was still right. He's just learning. I bet half of you can't do even that if you give them 3d max right now. How would you feel if people would make fun of your creations?

N(Posted 2008) [#29]
Yes but he was still right. He's just learning. I bet half of you can't do even that if you give them 3d max right now. How would you feel if people would make fun of your creations?
Seeing as how I went through this same thing with much worse people some seven years ago, I just went and improved on what they said. Whether you like it or not, the tone is irrelevant if they've provided you with actual information and things to work on.

That's my stance, anyway. I suppose not everyone is as awesome as me. *Flexes* Yeah, baby.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#30]

How would you feel if people would make fun of your creations?

If he did not want critque then he should never have posted this in the first place!! I almost spat my tea all over the monitor when I saw the first screenshot so I refrained from posting my opinion as I knew I'd be accused of picking on the guy.

Sometimes it's necessary to be cruel to be kind etc..

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#31]
ok GFK , justluke, reactor etc post your best artwork and watch me tear it apart.

I bet its as good as my coding:)

Its obvious you are just taking the piss which is fine if thats what you want, but they do say what goes around comes around.

Noel you were never really given a hard time if I remember, you have always had the luxury of being a pretty good artist.

Xylvan - seriously dude I would n't post if they are just going to rag on you.
Try and find a friendlier forum but my advice is just keep going, you will get there in the end if you put the effort in.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#32]
Sanctus, you should realise that Xylvan is no beginner. By his own admission, he's had interest in his software from Intel, offers from Atari and was given a free copy of 3D Studio Max on the strength of his portfolio.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#33]
...you will get there in the end if you put the effort in.

Sounds like a put-down to me. I think he is putting the effort in. Sheesh, way to lower the self-esteem.

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#34]
I meant to 'keep on' trying. Its not a put down.

N(Posted 2008) [#35]
Noel you were never really given a hard time if I remember, you have always had the luxury of being a pretty good artist.
I'm not talking about here. I'm talking about way back when I was a beginner. I don't know if you remember HyPer and Samurai, but they're both more or less the most brutally honest folks I know. I consider HyPer a good friend, but Samurai never had a kind word. What he said still left me knowing what I needed to work on though. I don't consider Samurai a friend, by the way, since I haven't talked to him since Skindom days.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#36]
@Ruz
First of all, Xylvan asked himself after posting images >>What do u think ? << , so when people expressed what they think about it, its 'flaming' even they are asked for opinion??

>>Xylvan - seriously dude I would n't post if they are just going to rag on you. <<

Why the heck you going to post on forum and ask for opinion if you are not ready to get bad one?

>>Try and find a friendlier forum but my advice is just keep going, you will get there in the end if you put the effort in. <<

Friendlier?? Heheheh..you kidding me? Guy was flamed out from some french forums because of same issues and attitude expressed here, so if some forum is quite tolerant for global flaming over everyone with his best of the best games ever, while some very healthy and friendly critics was given to guy, its this forums..and after such long torture with 'greatness' and 'best of the best' and 'publishers interested' and calling 'everyone jealous over his greatness and artwork and programming skills', you expecting people here to digest same new crap every time he post?? You kidding me...

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#37]
yeah Noel when i first posted on plyocunt some douche gave me a really hard time.

lost my rag a bit, but in hindsight he may have been right but he was a still a douche:)

Naughty Alien - its really up to you what you post, it would just be nice if graphics showcase was left out of this lameness

Xilvan(Posted 2008) [#38]
I'm done with Candy's animations...

Now Candy takes 8880 polygons... It looks smooth and well done...

Here a video of Basic Gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU0sWXF5No0

Toopy is next...

Somebody told me about the mediocre textures on this forum so i've managed to offer the best of it with a more lifelike effect...

Also about the tail I've also corrected the curves... It look more and more interesting

Best Regards !

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#39]
ok GFK , justluke, reactor etc post your best artwork and watch me tear it apart.

It's a few years old now, but website link is my profile. Have fun.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#40]
the dog looks like it is in a wind tunnel and fur under the tail should be done with a hair texture and alpha-ed off at the end of the strands.

[quote]It's a few years old now, but website link is my profile. Have fun.[\quote]
the last forum post was in 2005 man

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#41]
Um, the last forum post was the other day.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#42]
Well if you've nothing better to do, click.

(oh, and the difference is, I don't go around telling everyone how great I am, and how everybody who says anything negative is a "jealous loser"). Xylvan's negative comments have mostly been about attitude rather than ability.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#43]
Xylvan's negative comments have mostly been about attitude rather than ability.
Bingo!

Xilvan(Posted 2008) [#44]
I think that all games are good since people are liking making them...

N(Posted 2008) [#45]
Just because you like making it doesn't make it good. To be frank, Xylvan, your games are a perfect example of why you're wrong.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#46]
I don't want to get into the whole mess here at all... I want to comment about the dog in peace.

I'm not an 3D artist at all, but from a consumer standpoint, the transition from the first Candy to second was greatly improved because the tail was reduced. Watching the video, the tail looks acceptable, but maybe a tad more off would be perfect.

I don't think you're really going for realism, and I think the styles of the game and Candy match. But that last bit off the bottom of the tail might just take it from acceptable to good.

Hope I didn't offend anybody. Just adding my bit.

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#47]
Xylvan

The video footage is looking really good dude - keep it up. I think I would like to see a little shadow under your characters and pickups, this would give a little more depth to the scene.

You have worked very hard on this series of games, and I think this one is looking really great now. There's a lot going on, on screen and lots of things to do from what I can see.

I hope it does well for you, great work.

IPete2.

Xilvan(Posted 2008) [#48]
Thanks IPete2...

My game is quite good now and Toopy has been added... He is now fully playable !

The player will have to switch from Candy to Toopy sometimes and use both freezbys, tornado attack, Fire and Ice breath to complete the boss ahead...

Bosses will be:
Black sheep
Werewolf
Crazy Balloon
Gorilla(gigantic)
Himp
Crow
Artic Bear

They will appear randomly on the levels and they will Offer a golden bones if Candy or Snoopy beats them, Actually they're not evil They are helping Candy getting strong enough to vanquish the game's number 1 meanie : Dr. PickPic (or PicPick ?)à

Dr.PicPick is Candy's killer(its fictive) Candy must avenge from him... Long ago he was Candy's veterinary...

Toopy will set a great part of the game with Candy... He will use Freezbies, balls and Boomrang... Boomrang will be used to open Portals in Candy World Tome 2 and if Candy gets 5 or more of the freezbies in a basket she will receive a boomrang...

The game will be more chanllengeous and more fun... Stay on this site to have the chance of playing for the first time to Candy World : The Golden Bones Tome II's demo...

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#49]
*blinks*

_33(Posted 2008) [#50]
The 3D model and the picture don't look the same at all!!

- The wind tunnel effect (indeed)
- The fur color is totally different from the picture (beige brown, versus rusty red)
- The eyes are horizontally stretched
- The 3D model shows freckels on the nose, not the actual photo

plash(Posted 2008) [#51]
Your confusing.

Xilvan(Posted 2008) [#52]
I just want to make it different...

I switched from Snoopy to Toopy... Changed Snoopy's Tail... Created my own dogs... I even intended to rename Candy to Capri but It prefered not changing it...

She has alot of hair behind each of her paws...

The new dog is a lyric representation of Candy and are not the same... But in my imagination Candy was like that...

A demo is arriving... in the next few days... Then I'll open a subject in the Showcase Section...

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#53]
The real Candy looked lovely. Your imaginary candy... not so much. The face looks as much like a lamb as a dog. By the way ,why is your English so terrible? Aren't you Canadian?

N(Posted 2008) [#54]
I'm more curious what he's been changing. The model looks exactly the same in all but the first iterations where the tail has stalactites. Also, Luke, if you notice in his copy of Max, it's not even English. I do not believe English is his native language, but possibly French. Well, Canadian-French, at least.

deps(Posted 2008) [#55]
Looks like he have redone the eyes a bit.

Xilvan(Posted 2008) [#56]
I'm french canadian from Quebec so my english is not perfect...
At home I talk french with my parents. I talk English on the forum.
My english still needs improvement...

Thanks for loving and appreciating the real Candy. I had that dog all the time of my early childhood and teenage era... She was like my sister for me ! I also callen her the dog princess cause she was very lovely and a quality dog... But with time she withered and became awfully old and sick... But she stood kind even in its sickness.

The virtual Candy is not that bad it is like I was representing her in my childhood and teenage era... You should accept her cause it will be the game's dog forever until Candy World 2D...

Candy World 2D will be the sequel to Candy World : The Golden Bones and will be entirely new 2D game... Candy Will look just a little bit cartoony and she will be animated by me again...

Here is the artwork of Candy I made several months ago:

Candy will be searching for its friends again... Toopy will be playable... There will have more bonus more maps and more challenge that can only be experienced in a 2D game...

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#57]
looks more like an albino pig with fur and a brown coat.

;) I am going to go off to work on my own pig and I shall call it.... Doggy!
EDIT:On the other side, that seems mean, at least to pigs anyway.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#58]

There will have more bonus more maps and more challenge that can only be experienced in a 2D game...

Oh how exciting! Can you copy the maps and make it so we can play them reverse as an extra fun mode?

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#59]
Now Candy takes 8880 polygons... It looks smooth and well done...

My game is quite good now

This used to be entertaining but now it's just an eyesore.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#60]
why is everyone being so mean to Xylvan? Whenever I make crappy 3D stuff, you guys critique, but you're being pretty mean to him for no real reason.

I personally think that the dog looks nice and cartoony, and in-game the final quality will really depend on how you animate it, but if you're striving for realism, you're using the wrong engine and wrong modelling techniques.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#61]
@Chwaga
Take a look at all ancient posts he made, and you will see clearly answer to your question..

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#62]

and you will see clearly answer to your question..

x2

It doesn't matter if we like it or not, xylvan already knows that his work is the best of the bestister (bad translation, sorry) and could be sold for millions if he cared to, but:

Quote by Xylvan

No time for jealous and losers...

He only likes to show us his work to make us all jealous because we are losers, duh.

This used to be entertaining but now it's just an eyesore.

I haven't been around his posts long enough as it still gives me a permasmile. The drama keeps these forums alive and entertaining when there's nothing new code-related. Don't click on the topic if you can't handle it; simple as that.

@Xylvan your consistency is baffling but admirable. People become famous for it on youtube so it might even work starting here. Keep up the great work.

*(Posted 2008) [#63]
Its not a bad model, with a few adjustments it could look amazing.

clownhunter(Posted 2008) [#64]
The model looks alright for the most part, but there's several things that could use improvement.

The texture around the face needs a bit of work. I dislike how the eyes seem to stretch around the head.

The model itself seems pretty flat. The dog doesn't appear round at all. His sides appear to be quite flat. They definitely need to become fuller than that.

If you can improve on those two items then the dog will definitely look better. It looks pretty good and cartoony right now, but with fixing those problems, it would definitely look better and more professional.

N(Posted 2008) [#65]
why is everyone being so mean to Xylvan? Whenever I make crappy 3D stuff, you guys critique, but you're being pretty mean to him for no real reason.
Ever seen A History of Violence? His movie is A History of Bad Choices. Oddly enough, mine is A History of Worse Choices Than Xylvan, but I guess that's more in the real life part of things.

Its not a bad model, with a few adjustments it could look amazing.
You're wrong, a few adjustments would not make this look amazing. Seven years of experience modeling tells me you're wrong. Everything Xylvan has posted tells me you're wrong. I'm going to say you're wrong again for good measure, because it really does need to be said four times.

A few adjustments could mildly improve this, but it would not under any circumstances make it an amazing model. There are a great many things you can do to make good models and Xylvan has done none of them. What he needs to do is to find tutorials and look at real models so he can understand the methods of making them. What he is currently doing, to me, appears to be creating a box, extruding it, mesh-smoothing it, and then planar-mapping it; that's how I started out, and I learned very quickly it was the wrong way to do things.

To summarize for you, Xylvan: read tutorials and you're doing it wrong.

*(Posted 2008) [#66]

You're wrong, a few adjustments would not make this look amazing. Seven years of experience modeling tells me you're wrong. Everything Xylvan has posted tells me you're wrong. I'm going to say you're wrong again for good measure, because it really does need to be said four times.

A few adjustments could mildly improve this, but it would not under any circumstances make it an amazing model. There are a great many things you can do to make good models and Xylvan has done none of them. What he needs to do is to find tutorials and look at real models so he can understand the methods of making them. What he is currently doing, to me, appears to be creating a box, extruding it, mesh-smoothing it, and then planar-mapping it; that's how I started out, and I learned very quickly it was the wrong way to do things.

To summarize for you, Xylvan: read tutorials and you're doing it wrong.

I disagree, this model could be made better with some minor adjustments. The texture could be cranked up in resolution, and the model could be adjusted maybe made a little thicker on the legs etc. For me though a few adjustments is all it needs.

I do not see why you are being so negative about someones work, not all of us model for a living and from where I started about eight years ago in DarkBasic I would have loved to be able to do models like that, yes I have improved over time but still there are areas where I can still improve on. By saying 'oh its crap, read x tutorials' doesnt really help the model is already created and just needs adjustment thats all.

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#67]
EdzUp, the model is almost 9000 polys and viewed from a medium distance. That model needs more than minor adjustments. It needs the equivalent of polygon liposuction.

*(Posted 2008) [#68]
this is true but with reduction it could be an amazing model.

Xilvan(Posted 2008) [#69]
Listen to this... I've made two version... One 2000 polies and one 9000 polies... Both are in the game...

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#70]
Even 2000 is way too many polygons for the model the way it looks at the moment. Can you post a wireframe shot of the 2000 polygon version?

*(Posted 2008) [#71]
You could probably get the 2000 poly model down to 900 polys

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#72]
I would like to know what does it mean 'amazing' for you EdzUp? Regarding Noel's comments, i thing he wasnt rude, he was plain realistic and i assure you, you are not going to see much changes towards 'amazing' whatever it is..

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#73]
900? I could get it much lower.

I have two questions, Xylvan. When is the 8000 poly model used in the game? Can we see a wireframe view of the 2000 poly version?

*(Posted 2008) [#74]
To me amazing would be a model that resembled the picture of the dog