Sanctus Models

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Sanctus Models

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#1]
I created this thread so that I won't fill the forum with a thread for each creation.
Who am I?
My name is Atzberger Lorin and I'm from Romania.
I work as a programmer and I have a passion for 3d modeling (lowpoly).
In the future I'd like to sell my models for game developers at a cheap price so that anyone can make a game with decent looking graphics.
Today's creation is a medieval(or so I hope) house:

Stay tunned as I will release more and why not even some free models for anyone

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#2]
A new Medieval building. Still a WIP but I say it looks way better than that one(that was more like a experiencing one)

This one will be my first free model :)

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#3]
Not bad! However:

1) Judging by the size of the door, if you were standing in the building your crotch and stomach would be on the same level as the windows. This is because the door is not scaled consistently with the rest of the building. Reducing the size of the door by about 35% should fix the problem.

2) The building would benefit from a little extra detail. For example, you might think about adding ledges beneath the windows.

3) Everything is too straight and perfect. Adding a little distortion here and there (a slightly crooked chimney, a sagging roof, walls that "lean" a little bit) would enhance the charm and character. Everything is too perfect and "boxy" at the moment.

EDIT: Think about Brasov or Sighisoara. Beautiful places, right? Take a look at some photos of them. You'll notice how none of the lovely streets and buildings have perfectly straight, clean angles and edges. You'll also see that it is all the little details that make the architecture so appealing. You might even want to model some of your medieval buildings on some of the fantastic buildings in these places.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#4]
Well I meant the door to be bigger. It's 3m tall if I remember well. I though that in medieval times they had larger doors. (I could make it smaller tough...)
Yes I was thinking to add the ledges beneath the windows.
I noticed that too. I will try to fix this problem as well.
Thank you for your helpful reply.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#5]
House finished I think:

Could anyone tell me a good file host so that i can put the house up for download?
Here is the new thing I'm working on.

If you like to see something specific please ask.

Oh and... Geez I didn't see your edit. I am from Brasov :P I've been to Sighisoara countless times.
I want to make 3d model of the Black Church (Biserica Neagra)

puki(Posted 2008) [#6]
These look quite good.

plash(Posted 2008) [#7]
Again: overall height of building is horrible, and the door texture looks funny.

Other then that it looks pretty good.

Could anyone tell me a good file host so that i can put the house up for download?
www.filefront.com - excellent speed.

puki(Posted 2008) [#8]

How much is this one?

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#9]
Plash:
That critic is not helpful. It's just mean. Can't you tell me what do you think is wrong with the height? I preety much used real proportions for it and maybe just the door is a tad big. But windows building height roof are all with real dimensions. And the door texture... That's a picture of a door...

Puki;
That's a picture of a church in my town. I'm planning to make it in 3d so I'll have to go take a lot of pictures.

New stall preview

Link to the house:
http://files.filefront.com/house6rar/;10226270;/fi

N(Posted 2008) [#10]
Some things to focus on for this would be imperfections in structures. Not everything is uniform and perfectly shaped- although it would be nice if that were the case. Also, most of your textures lack depth. This is partly because your models are too simplistic. You focus on the most basic forms and then exclude the details. Model the apples, model the rings on the barrel and define the top. Also, most barrels have metal rings surrounding the top (otherwise the wood would not hold).

You're doing better than the Arteria gits, but you've got a ways to go yet. If you don't already do so, sketch these sorts of things daily. (Keep in mind that a sketch is a sketch, not a giant, finished painting- if it helps, spend only 10 minutes at a time, use a pen, and never try to correct mistakes.)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#11]
Hey Sanctus. You are very talented. I like your style.
Sent me an e-mail me if you want some free web space for your free models.

This is because the door is not scaled consistently with the rest of the building

I believe that it is not always necessary to keep real life analogies. This makes the difference from real world and makes a model unique in our fantasy

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#12]
Nice models, but to me the roofs don't really look medieval -- I'd expect thatch roofing and the such, not shingles.

I also agree with JustLuke that the doors are way to large compared to the windows -- the top of the window would be at waist height, and this gives the buildings a really odd appearance.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#13]
Nice models, but to me the roofs don't really look medieval -- I'd expect thatch roofing and the such, not shingles.

perhaps hes going from reference photos of the buildings as they are now and very few old houses in this day and age have thatched roofs (iir they jsut dont allow it in the uk due to fire hazzards, but then again i dont go to rural areas so they might be rife with thatched cottages still)

i tend not to take photos of cambridge as its all been done before
the round church however deserves more than the 2 or 3 ive taken over the years
the lepper chappel also
and the windmill in fullbourn needs investigating as ive only ever seen it from a distance on the way to work

the rest is either too modern and uninteresting or photographed 100 times a day and i dont want to be the 101st

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#14]
Ginger Tea: Yes, there's still a tonne of thatched cottages out in the sticks, IK live in Cambridgeshire and we've got em all over the place.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#15]
i work on the principle of "if it aint on my A-Z it might as well not exist" or here be dragons as they used to write on uncharted areas ;)

but its nice to know that if you wanted to model realsitic yeolde taverns etc that there are some old buildings still standing (regardless of country) that you can take (or find) photo references off

plash(Posted 2008) [#16]
That critic is not helpful. It's just mean.
It's not? I figure telling the truth is the best 'critic' ever.

Can't you tell me what do you think is wrong with the height?
It's not just the height of the building, its everything in comparison.. It's hard to model something when you don't know the size of the player/npc models. Maybe try sizing down the windows a bit?

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#17]
Thank you very much for you replies.
Noel Cower:
I'm trying to improve on the realistic part with less perfectionism. The stall isn't finished yet. I will not add shapes to the apples because that will preety much use a lot of triangles and I would not like that thinking I want them to be used in games.

Moraldi:
Thank you.
I'd like to have a web space for the models off course. I'll send you a email right now.

xlisior:
I'm not trying to make the buildings historically correct. I just want to get a medieval/fantasy look. If you really want it I will resize the door.

Ginger Tea:
Yes I did get a lot of inspiration by stuff I found over the internet such as pictures or drawings. I will go this weekend and make pictures of the Black Church and then I'll try to make a massive cathedral based on it with hopefully real proportions.

I'll try to make bump maps and even normal maps for smaller models. I can't really make a normal map for a house.
Also would it be nice if you would have a big texture with everything for the house on it or multiple smaller images that give better quality with smaller sizes? my models are not really drawn on UVW. I just use textures to UVW map my models.

EDIT:
I've changed the barrels remade from scratch more details diffuse,bump and normal maps for the wood

Not that much of a improvement but today I'm quite busy

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#18]
i dont mind that the fruit is just a flat texture
the more tri's added to a simple stall just arnt worth it ... some times its just the right textures

without a scale reference the door on that house does look huge it would be nice to know that if you model something to be displayed at a certain height that it does in game ... but if the programmer/level editor decides the door is normal height and not huge as it is in real life then the rest of the house super deforms

on a side note my brother took dozzens of pix of a barn to house conversion he passed alot on one of his work routes
and sort of reimagned it as a tavern ... it kinda looked ok from what i remember (and he was new to quakes level editor at the time)

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#19]
Hey what do you know this does look better.
I used a metric scale to be sure of the good sizes but somehow I slipped one more meter in the height of the door.
You were right guys :)

I can't start the work on the church until I have the reference pictures and a good plan and also a lot of textures from it.
Can anyone give a idea of something I should do? (please no walls or big things because it's hard to keep the exact proportions.
Anything that is at most the size of the house.
I might start a new house if I come to think about it(maybe with interior)
Oh and how much triangles would you spend on a house? I'd like to make my models more detailed but with most programmers using blitz3d or other slow engines then I preety much have to go with the way of the public.
would 5-6k be too much for a house with interior?

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#20]
My only complain is about for the texture of steps

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#21]
Okay I even forgot to change that... It was mostly a test texture...

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#22]
In reality I think the models are pretty dang good. Why would you model each individual apple or fruit and waste the poly's? I like the straight and perfect versions myself and I dont see anything wrong with a shingle roof in a medieval version of a house. I believe you would see alot more shingled roofs in those times than thatch and such depending on if you were in a medieval city or a village.

The main thing to remember though Sanctus, model the way it makes you happy, dont take all the statements to heart. All the models you show here are very sellable. Keep up the great work.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#23]
Thank you very much Xyle. That really brought my moral up.
I'm working on a new house right now that's bigger and with interior.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#24]
It seams that DarkRoom Studios don't email me back. I asked them if they could publish my art and how much would the royalties be. (they do publish other people's graphics as well).

I this case... could anyone that has paypal from Europe get the money for me? I will give him/her all the art for free and he/she will get some royalties from what I sell. Once a month or so I'd like a Western Union Transfer. I can't really do a shop from my country since we don't really have they payment systems. This is preety much crucial for me so I would appreciate if someone would help me out. I'll make the website and everything.
Thank you

Dicon(Posted 2008) [#25]
Good afternoon Sanctus.
The method I use to keep the proportions right is to use a simple ( low poly ) figure to position next to what you are modeling. It may not be used in the final mesh, but with the "dummy"along side what you are modeling, it really helps. If you can "steal" a figure from wherever you can and use it ALWAYS.
Dicon, UK.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#26]
Each model differs and I do not want to copy another building...
I'd rather use metric scales and use real proportions....

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#27]
Hi Sanctus, did you check your e-mail?

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#28]
Which one?
Sanctus2099@... or Sanctus2099@...?
I checked them both and I didn't see any mail from you.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#29]
I would guess he means the one in your profile (which is neither of the above)

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#30]
Oh... That was a old Email. I updated my profile. I check sanctus2099@... the most.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#31]
Gfk has right, I am sending you again...

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#32]
I sent you a email with the reply

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#33]
I've finished 3 packs... just waiting for Moraldi to upload them. You will be able to buy them. Also working on 2 character at the moment

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#34]
Okay had some problems.
Now I'm back and want to make some more packs.
I'm also polishing the old ones and uploading them to turbosquid.
I'd like to hear from you guys what would you like to see and how much would you pay.
That would really help me to know what to make.

Oh and it doesn't mean you will buy it or anything. Just hypothetically