I've been kinda playing around with mental ray...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/I've been kinda playing around with mental ray...

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#1]
The title says it, gaze upon my masterpiece.

it makes a very l337 desktop background at 1680 x 1050 :)

(newer version)

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#2]
DANG!!! that is good!

olo(Posted 2008) [#3]
amazing!

puki(Posted 2008) [#4]
Oooh - I like this.

The thing on the left reminds me of one of these:

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#5]
...that or a torus knot maybe?

Cp(Posted 2008) [#6]
realistic :)

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#7]
looks like a photograph... very nice

Volker(Posted 2008) [#8]
How many FPS do you get ? 0.001 ? :-)

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#9]
erm...the 1680 x 1050 render took like 5 minutes...so 0.0033333(etc.) FPS

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#10]
looks nice man

maximo(Posted 2008) [#11]
you kinda rock!

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#12]
dont you mean mental ray rocks, I dont see anything hes done apart from arrange a couple of models and setup the lighting and hit render scene. is a nice example of what mental ray can do though.

maximo(Posted 2008) [#13]
thats why I kiddingly said "you kinda rock" because he did nothing special :P

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#14]
Is that a texture on the back wall there, or the result of a GI solution which needs some more work? Plus, your torus knott is a weee bit on the low poly side.

Nice composition, though :)

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#15]
i noticed the polygon thing on the torus a while ago, the GI + final gather is what lit the walls, and Pete's right, I did pretty much nothing except learn how to do it :)

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#16]
oh, and ambient occlusions

i love 3ds :)

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#17]
here we go, all prettied up and added stuff (yay for almost-nice flowers!!). Though I am getting some annoying artifacts on the table that I just can't seem to get rid of, and it takes FOREVER to render now (hmm...must be the addition of a few hundred thousand polygons?)

...DROOL AT IT OR SUFFER THE DIRE CONSEQUENCES!!!

Ked(Posted 2008) [#18]
Oh my...

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#19]
eh...is that good or bad??

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#20]
You have much to learn, grasshopper. Getting the balance between speed and quality is what rendering with MR is all about. Try here...

www.mymentalray.com

Adjust the threshold on your AA, and those atifacts on your table should go away.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#21]
wouldn't raising the AA threshold just lag me even more?? The thing is, I'm final gathering on draft mode, and have max GI photons set at 1000, so it should be going even faster than my last render (not considering the model polygonality). Could it be that I'm using photographic exposure control that's laaaaaaaaaaaging it up?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#22]
have you try anything with mental ray over exterior scene or something..i would like to see what have you achieved on such scene ;)

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#23]
The term 'lagging' isn't the correct one ;)

Yes, it'll make your render take longer. I'm not sure about the other settings you have... I use XSI, and not Max, so I'm not sure what 'photographic exposure' is. Try turning it off, and see what happens!

Ked(Posted 2008) [#24]
eh...is that good or bad??

Good.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#25]
Good!

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#26]
nice ive got to say i do like the material on the floor. the lighting in your first image looked more natural