Now for something completely diffrent

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Now for something completely diffrent

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#1]
BTW I just built a motor that runs on water, seriously. The spokes were designed with Sin/Cos in Blitz. Blitz is very handy when it comes to Spoke and Wheel design (I had more spectacular, artistic designs, but the construction required a simple one).
http://www.melog.ch/watermotor/
Hard to believe, even for me, now that I'm sitting right beside a running model.

puki(Posted 2008) [#2]
Where is the water?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#3]
Surprisingly in the tank.

puki(Posted 2008) [#4]
Where is the tank?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#5]
What use is it?

(paper waterwheels don't belong in the graphics showcase, really)

puki(Posted 2008) [#6]
What happens if you put a mix of Coke and Mentos in the tank?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#7]
I should try that. What use? What is a motor used for? Where here only a few grams of reactive cells are used for a 2D system, it could also be modified to work in 3 Dimensions . In theory there is a lot of this kind of power in every block of wood.
But the thing that is really amazng about the model is the fact that it runs by cooling the enviroment. Probably exactly what you need when there are global warming issues.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#8]
I should try that. What use? What is a motor used for?
Well, i wouldn't want it in my car since I could crawl over broken glass quicker.

Can it be made faster?

puki(Posted 2008) [#9]
My idea might speed it up.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#10]
Water gets soaked up somewhere and drips onto the wheel?

EOF(Posted 2008) [#11]
Nice. Reminds me of some of the things which appear on http://www.grand-illusions.com/

Particularly this item - http://www.grand-illusions.com/acatalog/Stirling_Engine_Kit.html

puki(Posted 2008) [#12]
I think it would be terribly exciting if it went faster.

plash(Posted 2008) [#13]
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Sterling-Engine-absorb-energy-from-candles-c/

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#14]
What about the conservation of energy? I thought you couldn't run something for less energy than it produces?

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#15]
Probably exactly what you need when there are global warming issues.

Heh, I remember When people were worried about "Global Cooling" Rofl.

Anyway, ooonnn topic.
Cool wheel, What does it do? Other then spin...

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#16]
Beautiful!

I need this to power my home so I dont have to pay $400 a month for electricity. Wheres the house version download?

Wings(Posted 2008) [#17]
Ahh you solved world problem.

Can this engine run on fuel too ?

and it dosent create any CarbonOxide.. just move the fule up to the tank after it has ben run out. :D

stayne(Posted 2008) [#18]
I've seen something like this before or maybe it was just a theory. The model ran by osmosis (reverse osmosis?) with semi-permeable membranes, saltwater in one tank, fresh water in the other.... or something like that...

Anyway, I think it's a neat little project jfk.

Panno(Posted 2008) [#19]
really cool jfk , wenn auch mal wieder unheilbar krank ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#20]
Cool!

Side note:I actually own a sterling engine. it amazed me SO much I spent £70 on a miniature model, and BOY can it move!

I mean, it's useless for producing energy but the flywheel can go at close to 3 revs per second which aint bad for something running off of temporature gradients.

Call me stupid (£70 for something that does nothing but spin?)

Or lucky (It runs forever. Put it on something warm and it just goes. Mine's been running for 4 months without stopping now running off of the heat from my router!)

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#21]
so it's actually cooling your router a little. That's very cool. My workmate told me once about sterling motors in great detail, so I left the room.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#22]
Thanks for all your comments, I was AFK.
Stirling engines are cool yes, but did you ever try to buid one? They got some axis inlets that need to be airtight, even with pressure. Graphite Pistons must be made, with tolerances around 0.001mm. Also, big sterling engines usually need a big heat source, usualy oil or wood fire. BAsicly, a Stirling needs a temperature difference. If the cold side is getting hot too then the stirling stops. A waste of energy is then to cool the cold side that is getting hotter during operation, while you need to heat the hot side. Anyway, LTD (low temerature difference) stirlings are real fine engineering work, since they run only from the diffrence between the enviroment and eg. your hand (so it's about 12 Degrees C diffrence only)

This one doesn't require a candle or other explicit heat DIFFRENCE, but is capable of extracting heat from the enviroment, within say 5 and 40 Degrees Celsius. BTW this page converts celsius, kelvin and fahrenheit, for the records:
http://leifi.physik.uni-muenchen.de/web_ph09/simulationen/02celsius_kelvin/umrechnung.htm

Meanwhile I cannot only watch the grass as it's growing, so I develop this technology further. There are plans and ideas, but I have to be careful not to make it too strong, because a lot of people spent a lot of money in oil reserves, they'd become real angry...
So if I won't be back in 20 Minutes, call the cops <:o)

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#23]
doh I don't understand these things. nice paper engineering though:)

Panno(Posted 2008) [#24]
any news ??