Polymaniacs - screenshots

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Polymaniacs - screenshots

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#1]
Nothing special really. I recently implemented a proper colour banding sky effect and just finished a really simple function which converts my levels to snow covered. This is just one of the environment settings which has very low friction - so it's hard to control but good fun to play. I think it looks quite good ( perhaps I'm blinkered ) so I'd be interested in what others think?

Night + Snow + Mild

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#2]
Steve G. : I love this game (I am still playing your previous demos)
When we will be able to play with it?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#3]

Steve G. : I love this game (I am still playing your previous demos)
When we will be able to play with it?

Man, I've just noticed that the last demo was over a year and half ago!!! Although I really haven't had much time to devote to it until recently, I'll need to get my finger out and get another demo out!! Maybe a couple of weeks - no promises though.

Cheers
Stevie

puki(Posted 2008) [#4]
I like the night-time picture. I've put it on my bedroom wall.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#5]
Looks awesome man... I love the night time stuff too. It's got a real nice style to it!

I hope you manage to get some good gameplay. The physics for me is half of the gameplay :o)

Something like mario kart, just the general idea of racing. Maybe capture the flag, Gran Prix racing round a track... etc etc.

Gotta love it :o) Keep up the good work.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#6]
wow, that looks great stevie! i have a question, how do you get the lights on the cars to look loke they are glowing in the night scenes? do you just set their entityfx to full bright?

_33(Posted 2008) [#7]
It's really good looking. If only it could have shadows :o But I tried to have shadows on my own maps and it's hard to make your own models generated and compatible with any stencil shadow system. Good Luck Stevie G !!!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#8]
wow, that looks great stevie! i have a question, how do you get the lights on the cars to look loke they are glowing in the night scenes? do you just set their entityfx to full bright?

Yes, all the lights are a separate mesh and I just set fx to (1+2) and blend to additive when it's dark.

@ _33 , It's got textured animated shadows ( I can't make them any better or faster I'm afraid ). Stencils are far too slow and since noone had made a decent system yet I can't use them.

Avon(Posted 2008) [#9]
Looks really nice and fun. Reminds me a bit of Zeewolf on the Amiga.

cermit(Posted 2008) [#10]
Like the style :) it reminds me of Big Red Racing.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#11]
cool

kragoth74(Posted 2008) [#12]
Looks insanely cool !! We really need a demo... :-)

skn3(Posted 2008) [#13]
The sky in the still shots looks like it is a dome .. very small dome surrounding the landscape fitting it very tightly. Ie, can see the curviture too much.

As always this game looks fandabidozie though. Your gonna get alot of interest in this game once you release!

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#14]
looks really nice. pastel colours are in this season:)

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#15]
demo? please?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#16]
DemoDemoDemoDemo! :-)

Rafery(Posted 2008) [#17]
bellissimo.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#18]
Thanks. I hope to get a demo soon. Here's a couple of screenies of the new landscape generator ..

[removed]

_33(Posted 2008) [#19]
Personally I prefer the non generated level because of the way the water is spread across it. But it seems to be pretty close!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#20]
Which non-generated level do you mean _33?

I can change all the 8x8 heightmap control points, so can pretty much manually create any landscape.

_33(Posted 2008) [#21]
Maybe it's me but I find there are too many puddles of water on the generated maps. But I have no idea about how that plays. I like big surfaces of water. Thumbs up for the control point grid that you figured out. Are you using bezier curves?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#22]

Maybe it's me but I find there are too many puddles of water on the generated maps. But I have no idea about how that plays. I like big surfaces of water. Thumbs up for the control point grid that you figured out. Are you using bezier curves?

The puddles are a result of some control points being below water level. You can adjust this to make specific water areas.

Yes, I use bezier patches to build the landscape.

[removed]

_33(Posted 2008) [#23]
Pretty good, flexible level designing tool you got there. So will you be able to click and drop some props here and there like bridges, statues, trees?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#24]

So will you be able to click and drop some props here and there like bridges, statues, trees?

Yeah. I have alot more meshes to create but that's the idea.

[removed]

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#25]
have you tried with more than 8x8? like say 16x16 or 32x32? I imagine you could do some impressive terrain with that!

Looking very good!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#26]

have you tried with more than 8x8? like say 16x16 or 32x32? I imagine you could do some impressive terrain with that!

Thanks. I have tried it but as it's a single surface terrain mesh, anything above 15x15 breaches the poly's / vertices per surface limits so has to be split up. 8x8 control points work out at around 8000 polys.

This isn't really a big deal but for my purposes I don't want huge landscapes. I think they're just big enough to allow variety, let you to get from one end to the other reasonably quickly and to ensure fast collision detection.

Buggy(Posted 2008) [#27]
Daymn.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#28]
There is great potential here for a children's game. The player can drive around looking for the numbers 1 through 10 in order or the letters to vocabulary words or whatever.

The deep lake variation wouldn't be too useful unless you have boats and submarines (yellow submarines?).

Keep up the good work Stevie!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#29]
Well there are boats / hovercrafts and sharks atm. I never planned to make this for kids but most folk I've spoken to say their kids love it. I've no plans for implementing any learning mini-games.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#30]
hey stevie, can u post a link to your last demo u released?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#31]
Bear in mind that this is over a year and a half old :

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62881#702397

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#32]
A few shots of a new level made with my editor. You can gouge the landscape now to create rivers / flat areas for building etc..

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#33]
I always enjoy seeing new screenshots from this. In this case, I particularly like the night and dawn/dusk screenshots. It's amazing how much a pinch of dramatic lighting can improve a scene.

Good work!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#34]
Another video of me messing around with a mate ..

[removed]

Chalky(Posted 2008) [#35]
Absolutely amazing! I love the style of this game - a new demo cannot come soon enough!

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#36]
Where the heck is a previous demo, i gotta play this, i have been lookin @ pics of this forever, and just watched this video, where is the demo?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#37]
@ BlitzCoder - see link a few posts up. It's so much better than that now ;)

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#38]
You must be right proud of this. It's bloody great stuff!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#39]
I'm having fun with the editor :)

In the process of adding a bridge building function which automatically creates a mesh to bridge any 2 points on the landscape.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#40]
Stevie G:
do not play with our nerves :)
it should we play this game!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#41]
I added bridges , volcanoes and a few other things. Quick video of me playing around @ full frame rate. I'm sure most folk are getting sick of my vids so I'll try and make this the last for a while - honest guv!

http://stevieg.blip.tv/file/850391/

Stevie

Ked(Posted 2008) [#42]
Looks very nice! Kinda reminds me of a Super Nintendo game. Can't seem to think the name of it though.

ervin(Posted 2008) [#43]
Ked: Stunt Race FX?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunt_Race_FX

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#44]
AHHHHHH!!! DEMO! DEMO! DEMO!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#45]
StevieG,

I did indeed forget that this made use of your "generate track" code that I used in my own racer engine didn't it?

I remember seeing that many years ago and thinking how awesome it looked, but now you've got a whole game going! :-D

I would like to thank you for that little bit of code, made so much fun possible in the racer during early development! :-)

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#46]
@ Cyg, I do use an improved version of that track code although clearly not in any of the screenshot levels above.

I didn't realise you made use of that code in your racer but your welcome!

Stevie

kragoth74(Posted 2008) [#47]
...need...demo...now...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#48]

although clearly not in any of the screenshot levels above.

yeah, it was just something that popped into my mind!

I didn't realise you made use of that code in your racer but your welcome!

It was heavily modified and wasn't needed once I had an artist, but it enabled many many many months of fun whilst i was developing the physics! It replaced a generator I had created of my own, which was cool, but generated "floating" tracks. I modified your code to include textures and material properties. :-)

and iagree with Kragoth. This is an awesome little toy so far, I want to play the game!

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#49]
love the new screens the cliffs look great and the editor looks like it should e easy to make lots of maps. great work, I just hope its ready soon

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#50]
In the process of re-doing the whole gui so that it's mesh based. I think it looks much better and is obviously res independant :

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#51]
It definitely has style. If I were you, I would go to publishers with this game. I mean real publishers not portals.

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#52]
Looking great!

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#53]
If I were you, I would go to publishers with this game.

Why? Most of the time you'll get more from portals and affiliates.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#54]
I think I'll wait until I release the alpha demo and get feedback before I even consider approaching publishers/portals. I doubt many would be interested due to the simple style. That said, I'm not bothered about making money at all - I just want to finish it and get it out there.

*(Posted 2008) [#55]
I would whack it on as many portals as possible it looks amazing.

Wiebo(Posted 2008) [#56]
I LOVE the deceivingly simple style...

Torrente(Posted 2008) [#57]
That said, I'm not bothered about making money at all - I just want to finish it and get it out there.

As much as I'd love a cheap/free game that is as awesome as yours, please do yourself a favor and sell it as best you can.

I'd pay happily -- it's deserved, in my opinion.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#58]
Almost finished the GUI ( what a chore it's been ) so now have 3d versions of sliders, check boxes, command buttons , spinners etc...

I want to add a finite number of resolution choices so currently just have ..

640x480
800x600
1024x768
1024x960
1280x1024

Can anyone with widescreen monitors confirm the standard resolutions so that I can add them please?

Reactor(Posted 2008) [#59]
Great looking game... just don't forget to make backups of it while you're trying to finish it ;)

EOF(Posted 2008) [#60]
From my widescreen laptop I have these options beyond 1024x768:

1064x600
1280x768
1360x768
1366x768

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#61]
@ Reactor - thanks for the reminder .. just did one there.
@ Jim .. cheers .. I'll see what other ones come up and stick a few of the most common in there.

PGF(Posted 2008) [#62]
1920x1200 is a common high-end resolution.

What is the overhead to support a wide range rather than a 'finite number' by which I guess you mean a small number ? How about auto-detecting the available settings ?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#63]
Auto detecting is easy but most modern gfx cards have hundreds of available resolutions, most of which noone will ever use. There is no overhead in having this huge list as everything in the game is resolution independant - it's a personal choice to limit it.

ervin(Posted 2008) [#64]
My laptop's native res is 1680x1050.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#65]
1680 x 1050 is common also.

clownhunter(Posted 2008) [#66]
I use a 1680x1050 screen.

D_Town_Tony(Posted 2008) [#67]
i love the look!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#68]
Ok, I've canned the limit to save the hastle. You can now choose any 32bit mode which exists on your system from 480 upwards.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#69]
looking good stevie.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#70]
Quick update - I should probably post this in a worklog!! In the process of intergating gui into main game so closer to getting a small demo together now.

Panno(Posted 2008) [#71]
it looks tooo funny - i must smile :)

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#72]
I feel pain... ;)

When is it finally ready?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#73]
On thing which is prooving a headache is the methods of control. If I had my way I'd make this dual analogue only as it much more intuative, less fiddly and more fun to play.

This is the keyboard config screen ... note that you need to set up 14 different keys for each player.

I plan on allowing up to 4 players in split screen mode. The control just aint gonna work with so many keys as most keyboards only allow 5-6 keys to be pressed at the same time. I'm thinking of allowing keys for single player only and multiplayer games require at least one dual analogue. I may be limiting the people that can play but I can't say I'm too fussed about that. Surely most folk have a console of some description which they can use the controller from. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Stevie

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#74]
More than 2 people at one keyboard is pain!

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#75]
Try four keys maximum on this keyboard i'm using :o(

It's looking great!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#76]
I'm gonna try and reduce the keys for keyboard players to at least allow 2 x keyboard configs ...

Latest screenie ..

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#77]
any idea when the demo will be ready?

_33(Posted 2008) [#78]
I like the menu system, cool ideas there.

plash(Posted 2008) [#79]
The menu system reminds me of the N64 :D - looks amazing (again).

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#80]
Cheers.

The new GUI has been well worth the effort as it fits the game so much better than a bitmap font. I do alot of VB6 dev at work so the whole system works in a similar way which makes it very quick to add new menu's / gadgets etc.. All the non-label text is animated and menu transitions dynamic.

There's still alot of work to do and I'm in no rush. Hopefully I'll get a short demo out next month.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#81]
cool, looks really great

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#82]
Moved.