Mech model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Mech model

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#1]
A little Mech model i'm building for the laser cannon project:

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#2]
legs looking like chicken legz to me :)

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#3]
I was about to say that. Looks like a bionic chicken.

stayne(Posted 2008) [#4]
Good start man but he's a bit top-heavy. Grab some refs :).

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=mech

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#5]
you probably shouldn't smooth it, if you facet it, it'll look more robotic.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
It's pretty much just imported from the modeller. I was just hoping for some feedback before i texture, because my modeller doesn't export uv's at all, so i'd losing my unwrapping :o)

Thanks. I did actually reference the feet, and tried to copy them exact. Thanks for the tips :o)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#7]
what type of mesh you need for this?? B3D? If you wan, I can export from 3DSMAX very cool and good looking mech for ya...its not mine but its free for any use..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#8]
..how about this one..its 15K polys, but considering that you want segmented keyframed animation, its light easy for Blitz to deal with..

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#9]
Very nice man.... very nice :o) Looks like way to many polygons, as i'll be having wave of attacks from 7 or 8 on screen enemies at a time. It's a cracking reference though, thank you :o)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#10]
its not a problem man..as i said, you are going to use segmented keyframe animation for it so its pretty much easy deal for blitz...mech you see is 15K polys, and i can cut it down to 7K and keep pretty much same shape if you wan :) all parts are already separated for easy to do animation(movable parts)..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#11]
..by the way, are you seriously digging in to this type of game or its just 'flash' :) .. if you are in to it seriously, maybe I can join...:)

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#12]
I'm serious about the laser cannon thingy yeah :o) Slow progress though due to having to create my own graphics. I would be glad of any help!

7,000 is still alot of polygon's is it not? 7,000 x 10 mechs = 70,000 polys! Not including backround graphics and laser and such :o)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#13]
well..some of my levels are 120K polys and I have no problems with FPS at all on my 6600 as a low end..considering type of animation used, it shouldnt be a problem at all..what i did experiance is that serious slowdown I got ONLY after using many boned animated meshes...polycount itself I never had as issue...oh yes..number of textures used also..that can slow down things, but if used in balance properly, belive me, its completely okay.. :) by the way, how many polys you wanna for mech, so I may give it a try?

plash(Posted 2008) [#14]
wow, someone is a good artist!!

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#15]
Dam, sweet pic :o)

I dunno. I'd say 7,000 would be the maximum. but 2,000 for a mech would be great. So between 2,000 and 7,000?

plash(Posted 2008) [#16]
4500 !

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#17]
I noticed last days in Blitz forums Mech designs are in!
Well, here is mine:

Ross C: If you like it I can e-mail to you for the cannon project
Please don't forget that I am a poor programmer!
Any way I can e-mail to anyone who wants to work further on it :)
Its less that 1000 polys

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#18]
Mind polygons in blitz means triangles.

Looks excellent. That'd be great if you could man :o) Does it have any animation? If not, no worries, i can stick some bones in and make a basic walk animation :o)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#19]
I made a smooth operation on his legs and it is better by far.
Check your e-mail please

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#20]
Thanks man, checking it out just now :o)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#21]
i like it... a bit robocop esque (one of the final robots... cant remeber which one)

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#22]
ED-209

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#23]
Hehe, i had that in mind when i was finished :o)