My sailboat

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My sailboat

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#1]

WIP

DOG

puki(Posted 2008) [#2]
I shall print that picture, frame it, and place it on my bedroom wall.

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#3]
LOL (I guess)
It's a work in progress.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#4]
Personally I would add a lot more triangles on the sails to give them shape and allow them to bellow.

Likewise the cabin is somewhat minimal, and the various poles (mast etc) look out of proportion chunky and are usually tapered.

Also without seeing a wires it's hard to tell how many quads you've used on the hull but it looks proportionally high by comparison to the rest of the mesh. And you might want to look at smoothing groups to have some sharper edges around the top of it.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#5]
For a landlubby like myself, I wouldnt have noticed anything out of place. Looks very good. Nice job!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#6]
Pretty good so far. Needs UV-Mapping so you can apply sideviews of real boats. Also, the sails should be edited as Rob said. And maybe try to seperate the top of the hull from the lower part, so you can turn off smoothing on the top edge.

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#7]
Thanks for the good advice. I'll keep hammering away at it.
I've no idea how to turn off smoothing on the top of the hull since it's all one piece. It's a subdivided cube.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
DO you have UU?

I think it looks quite good btw :o)

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#9]
No. I'm using textures for now but I do have the free version of 3dpaint that comes with BlackSmith 3D so I might finish it with that.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#10]
I would suggest you could use a fraction of the triangles you've got in on the hull and get exactly the same result.

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#11]
i agree , far too high poly. try and get more cross sections and less length sections.
also for the textures, try using solid blocks of colour as a start then overlay wood textures or whatever it at about 15 - 20 percent opacity.
That way you get a much richer looking colour.