"A Robot attacking a City"

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/"A Robot attacking a City"

D_Town_Tony(Posted 2008) [#1]

squareiris(Posted 2008) [#2]
Very nice and professional artwork!

puki(Posted 2008) [#3]
That is terribly exciting.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#4]
Does anybody remember the opening movie to Mech Warrior 3? I see a stunning resemblance. Brings back fond memories... Looks great :)

D_Town_Tony(Posted 2008) [#5]
thanks for the kind words guys. I went ahead and updated the image by uping the saturation on the bolt and adding some highlights to the rubble.

sswift(Posted 2008) [#6]
You should post that on CGTalk.com. It's easily as good as the stuff there.

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#7]
nice image but might have been more dynamic if he was attacking something that wasnlt already trashed:)

MadJack(Posted 2008) [#8]
I liked the first version - the important area of the pic is middle to upper right - not a natural area for any image's main focus. This means it's important that the relatively unimportant areas of the image (the rubble, dark areas) remain fairly undetailed or impressionistic only, so the eye slides over them quickly and is drawn by the beam to the robot's head and shoulders - the image's central focus. After that, the eye can wander.

Now though, the extra detail causes the eye to pause on the central rubble before the viewer can understand what's going on causing visual confusion.

Ahem.

(actually I've just had a second look and the second one's not bad either ;-)

johnnyfreak(Posted 2008) [#9]
very nice! good work!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#10]
Excellent stuff, Tony. Sorry, but I prefer the first version, too. If you're not using it for a game or whatever, you could stick it on deviantart. What's it draw in, BTW?

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#11]
Really, really great stuff, this. I like it very much.

In fact. I like it so much that I shall photoshop out the signature and replace it with my own. Then I shall boast about my "skillz" on other forums.

D_Town_Tony(Posted 2008) [#12]
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Nomen luni - This is some concept art I did for a game im working on, it was done in painter 10

JustLuke - lol thats how I got my signature on this image jk

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#13]
Care to share any info about the game?

D_Town_Tony(Posted 2008) [#14]
Sure. Its going to be a side scrolling platformer utilizing some 3D. The visual theme is going to be stylized cartoon-like characters (like the robot in this image) with gritty scenery and texture mapping with a whole lot of big guns.

The storyline is going to be a modern take on your standard save the princess in the tower fairytale.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#15]
Think it's a fantastic bit of concept art.
The only thing I would suggest, from a picture point of view, is that the blue 'ray' looks like it's flopping out of his eye rather than shooting out. The individual arcs are OK but the main curve just makes it look a bit weak.
This also goes for the damage end of the ray as I can't see any blast from the impact.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#16]
I like the floppy look of the ray. It reminds me of the beams in Ghostbusters.

I can imagine it twisting and thrashing about like a wild electric snake - melting surfaces to glass as it licks and dances over them - rather than shooting straight ahead and blasting chunks out of the landscape.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#17]
nice

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#18]
@justluke, yep I can imagine that as well *if* there was a change in direction of the ray e.g. a kink in the middle so it is not one continous down-curve. It's being so pedantic though it is hardly worth mentioning.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#19]
Your really good